You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So I think I've fucked my grass.  A combination of going away for a couple of weeks and bad weather meant it was about 6" tall. I strimmes it down a bit a mowed it. Now it's all gone yellow and parts seems to be coming up. Have I killed it? 

Probably be fine mate . Just leave it to recover for a few weeks. Maybe some lawn feed stuff from the garden centre

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So I think I've fucked my grass.  A combination of going away for a couple of weeks and bad weather meant it was about 6" tall. I strimmes it down a bit a mowed it. Now it's all gone yellow and parts seems to be coming up. Have I killed it? 

I’ve asked the wife. She says no, just keep mowing it and it should green up again in a few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

We’ve got about 14 million cucumbers at the moment. Never grown them before and fuck me you don’t need many plants.  Planted them when the strawberries finished and I think I could now supply Tesco and Asda. 

Just as well as no other fucker is supplying them atm due to Brexit !!

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

No. I’d left part of our grass uncut for a few weeks as a bit of a wildlife thing and then when I cut it a couple of weeks ago I was surprised that it had gone quite yellow like you describe. I haven’t done anything else to it and it seems to be greening up again already

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

We’ve got about 14 million cucumbers at the moment. Never grown them before and fuck me you don’t need many plants.  Planted them when the strawberries finished and I think I could now supply Tesco and Asda. 

They seem to be bulletproof. I’ve grown a single mini variety for the past few years and they’ve never failed to produce loads of really healthy cucumbers.

My tomatoes are coming along pretty well too

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Fucking get in there, mate! Bought a cucumber from Asda today, a scranny fucking thing for 90p! Total rip off.

Need lawn levelling advice!

I need to level up the lawn as it's a bit like a ploughed field. The best option would be to get a gardener in to take off the top couple of inches of lawn, level out the bumps and troughs and either re seed or re turf. But I think that's going to be too expensive for our budget.

The next best thing is go the DIY route and just try and fill in the troughs gradually by laying preferable a sand and soil mix. There's all sorts of recommendations on the type of sand from that used for 'professional' sports pitches and lawns to red builder's sand!

I dont think red builder's sand is a good idea and saw suggestions of sharp sand or play pit sand. I know sharp sand is used in the building trade but it's suggested for lawns because of the irregular grain size?

What's the gardening experts opinion on using a sharp sand mix to level a lawn? Alternatives?

Just now, dockers_strike said:

I need to level up the lawn as it's a bit like a ploughed field. The best option would be to get a gardener in to take off the top couple of inches of lawn, level out the bumps and troughs and either re seed or re turf. But I think that's going to be too expensive for our budget.

The next best thing is go the DIY route and just try and fill in the troughs gradually by laying preferable a sand and soil mix. There's all osrts of recommendations on the type of sand from that used for 'professional' sports pitches and lawns to red builder's sand!

I dont think red builder's sand is a good idea and saw suggestions of sharp sand or play pit sand. I know sharp sand is used in the building trade but it's suggested for lawns because of the irregular grain size?

What's the gardening experts opinion on using a sharp sand mix to level a lawn? Alternatives?

I’ll ask the wife when she returns from work. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The next best thing is go the DIY route and just try and fill in the troughs gradually by laying preferable a sand and soil mix. There's all sorts of recommendations on the type of sand from that used for 'professional' sports pitches and lawns to red builder's sand!

The wife suggests sharp sand, mixed with soil and some grass seed.

Fill the troughs with the sand and soil. press down with your boots and reseed.

Disclaimer. She says, this is what she would do but this isn’t necessarily what a trained professional would say. 

• Upvote 1

Just been through the same issue but had some drainage issues on top. Ours was sloped, dips everywhere and we needed to remove a path and replace it with grass. Read through hundreds of forums and pretty sure half of them are making it up.

Ended up getting a rotavator from Screwfix for £50 and turned the lawn over mixing in sharp sand from B&Q (https://www.diy.com/departments/tarmac-sharp-sand-large-bag/5030349012445_BQ.prd) - helped break up the clay. Leveled out with a rake and then topsoil, sand and seed mix, water loads, and then another layer of topsoil.

If you get some word you can make a DIY leveler and just drag it around. Saves the rake.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

The wife suggests sharp sand, mixed with soil and some grass seed.

Fill the troughs with the sand and soil. press down with your boots and reseed.

Disclaimer. She says, this is what she would do but this isn’t necessarily what a trained professional would say. 

Thanks for that, buy the missus a drink from me next time you take her out!

1 hour ago, Superb said:

Just been through the same issue but had some drainage issues on top. Ours was sloped, dips everywhere and we needed to remove a path and replace it with grass. Read through hundreds of forums and pretty sure half of them are making it up.

Ended up getting a rotavator from Screwfix for £50 and turned the lawn over mixing in sharp sand from B&Q (https://www.diy.com/departments/tarmac-sharp-sand-large-bag/5030349012445_BQ.prd) - helped break up the clay. Leveled out with a rake and then topsoil, sand and seed mix, water loads, and then another layer of topsoil.

If you get some word you can make a DIY leveler and just drag it around. Saves the rake.

This is very similar to ours, bit of a slope and dips. Cant use a rotavator though because we had a drainage pipe put in to help the drainage some years back.

Those lawn levelling lutes are silly money to buy and as you say, some 'L' angle 3mm aluminium cut to shape should be DIYable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Thanks for that, buy the missus a drink from me next time you take her out!

This is very similar to ours, bit of a slope and dips. Cant use a rotavator though because we had a drainage pipe put in to help the drainage some years back.

Those lawn levelling lutes are silly money to buy and as you say, some 'L' angle 3mm aluminium cut to shape should be DIYable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOpPrI7684