You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

12 hours ago, rb14 said:

The pink valerian (back left) is wonderful at this time of the year. It'll die back in time and come spring it'll be popping back up again. It will set seed so you might want to deadhead it after the flowering is finished or find yourself overwhelmed next year. Just top the spent flower heads and I guess there's a chance you might get another offering late in the year. Early in winter you can cut it right back if you want. It's great for attracting moths and hoverflies. 

Leave the grasses to do their thing. Late on in Autumn, just like run your fingers through the clumps, gently teasing out dead strands. Same again in spring. 

As @neko says, more. Get some snapdragons in. They'll thrive there. Low maintenance. Easy.

I've already told you about your poppy heads, right? 

Think about some bulbs for early colour next year. Snowdrops? Daffs? Tulips? Crocus? Alium. Ooooh yeah. 

Ah, you see, I’m thinking perennials and grasses for a dry, low maintenance garden

The sedums were more of a filler but actually seem to be working quite well in this replanted border. I’m still waiting for the height from the verbena bonariensis and the ricinus but I’ve got the soil cover I wanted so fingers crossed

On 04/07/2021 at 18:02, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell mate, well in! Im knackered after shifting a couple of those big gardening buckets full of soil.

The old girl has planted a load of fucking triffids around the garden which Ive been slowly digging out cos she cant tend to them now and Ive said we need to go less is more.

Had to dig the last one out with a pick axe cos the fucker was in deep.

Will you have to do a bit of crop rotation with your veggies?

Yep, crop rotation is the plan. I've used Paint on my laptop, to remind me of what was planted where and when.

We're mulling over 6/7 key veg - Spuds, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Broccoli, Cauliflower and possibly Leeks, then nice to haves like Fennel, Lettuce, Beetroot, Parsnips. 

My Broccoli has recently been raped silly, by some Marsellus Wallace type mo-fo of a caterpillar and has ruined the lot. I've now learned for next year, I have to put cloches on Broccoli and Cauliflower as they're in the Brasicca family and there's this super greedy caterpillars out there. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

35 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Chuffed with my garlic crop. Leaving out for a day or two to dry the soil off and then its into the garage to condition and make the garage honk of garlic. Then its time to use. 

IMG_4917.JPG

The journey from this thread to the foodie one will be well worth seeing. Looks an impressive return. 

Never understood why people grow potatoes in their gardens.

Is it kind of a "prepper" mentality, like just in case everything falls apart? Or is it a foodie thing, of wanting to only eat local?

I always grow things that are expensive or difficult to find in the shops, or things that taste significantly better if I cut them fresh and eat right away (like herbs). Potatoes cost virtually nothing down at the local Asda, no?

Just sat out in the garden from about 9.30pm to midnight. Bats out during dusk. ISS about 11.30pm. Just a nice, clear, warm evening with not much activity in the other gardens so was able to sot and listen to the sounds of the city in the background. Meditative.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Just sat out in the garden from about 9.30pm to midnight. Bats out during dusk. ISS about 11.30pm. Just a nice, clear, warm evening with not much activity in the other gardens so was able to sot and listen to the sounds of the city in the background. Meditative.

ISS?

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck's sake, why are there so many rip off merchants about?

Need to level the garden after Ive spent the last couple of days reworking the path around the conservatory and moving a couple of tons of soil for the new garden bench on order for the old girl.

So was looking to get a lawn lute, nothing special about 30-36 inches wide. They're over £150 and only made out of 'L' alli section which i reckon costs £20 tops.

I might have to have a go at making one myself. Anyone know where to get an articulated joint to fit a broom handle?