You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

My neighbour has asked for a cutting from my Californian Lilac (blue brush) how the fuck do I do a cutting? Assume its not as easy as giving her a branch?

"Carefully pull away a healthy sideshoot of the current season's growth so that it comes away with a sliver, or "heel" of bark from the parent shoot."

Just give him that wrapped in wet kitchen roll on the heel bit.

From here :- https://garden.org/frogs/view/30255/

more detail here: https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/propagating-ceanothus-by-semi-ripe-cuttings/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jennings said:

"Carefully pull away a healthy sideshoot of the current season's growth so that it comes away with a sliver, or "heel" of bark from the parent shoot."

Just give him that wrapped in wet kitchen roll on the heel bit.

From here :- https://garden.org/frogs/view/30255/

more detail here: https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/propagating-ceanothus-by-semi-ripe-cuttings/

Leg. I might start another one as well. They're boss. Bee magnets and look great 

52 minutes ago, A Red said:

I've arranged a load of stones by our entrance and the mrs has planted plants around them. I'd post a picture but worried you lot would make a mockery of our rockery

Arrange a few artfully on a plate and post it in the Breakfast thread - it will be better than a few of the latest offerings.

On 28/03/2021 at 13:18, Chip Butty said:

Nowhere near as salubrious as Yorkshirereds, but here's my toil below. Not into the flower side of gardening as much, so I grow Veg, have been for a few years, but this year I'm ramping it up and trying to become at least semi-self sustaining.

In the photies, the Garlic is starting to come through the weed matting and the other half of the opposite raised bed is getting prepared for seeding in the coming weeks. To ramp things up I've set up 4 more raised beds and manured them. 6 tonne of top soil to go on top of that in the coming weeks and then put the sides on. 

Garlic.JPG

Garlic2.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

Things have progressed some what since I last posted

1st -  Picture is after I lugged 6 tonnes of top soil though the house and set up the boards for the raised bed.

2nd - Picture is how its looking now, on the right the furthest one and half of the next raised beds, have spuds in, then its a run of Parsnips with nets over and then onions, next one up has more onions and netted over Beetroot seeds.

3rd - Is Garlic, onions and a second run of flat leaf and Kos lettuce. beyond the board is a failed plot of Leeks, out of 40 only 10 have held on and they are growing very slowly, unsure on why for those.

4th - Is fennel, than broccoli, with a re-seeded and netted over Carrot run. that area failed, I eventually noticed the birds where getting under the net, so I was had awf, by the goldfinches and green finches Grrrrrrrrr.

Beyond that, rogue spuds which I'm letting go and and an area where parsnips where meant to grow, but the aforementioned birds, raped and pillaged my parsnips.

5th - Is a close up of my spuds, re-planted parsnips now netted beetroots and onions.

Big push next year, to try this self sustaining piece. Think I'm going to limit it to 5 target vegetables for crops then some fancies like Fennel, because I like Fennel and its nice to diversify. I'm thinking sweetcorn and Asparagus, but I've read that takes 2-3 years to give out vegetables and its a big area taker. Any advice is greatly appreciated on Asparagus?

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Upvote 12

On 27/06/2021 at 14:01, Chip Butty said:

1st -  Picture is after I lugged 6 tonnes of top soil though the house and set up the boards for the raised bed.

2nd - Picture is how its looking now, on the right the furthest one and half of the next raised beds, have spuds in, then its a run of Parsnips with nets over and then onions, next one up has more onions and netted over Beetroot seeds.

3rd - Is Garlic, onions and a second run of flat leaf and Kos lettuce. beyond the board is a failed plot of Leeks, out of 40 only 10 have held on and they are growing very slowly, unsure on why for those.

4th - Is fennel, than broccoli, with a re-seeded and netted over Carrot run. that area failed, I eventually noticed the birds where getting under the net, so I was had awf, by the goldfinches and green finches Grrrrrrrrr.

Beyond that, rogue spuds which I'm letting go and and an area where parsnips where meant to grow, but the aforementioned birds, raped and pillaged my parsnips.

5th - Is a close up of my spuds, re-planted parsnips now netted beetroots and onions.

Big push next year, to try this self sustaining piece. Think I'm going to limit it to 5 target vegetables for crops then some fancies like Fennel, because I like Fennel and its nice to diversify. I'm thinking sweetcorn and Asparagus, but I've read that takes 2-3 years to give out vegetables and its a big area taker. Any advice is greatly appreciated on Asparagus?

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Looks great all this. You’re living The Good Life. 

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

Our back garden we inherited when we moved in 11 months ago has got all sorts of mental shit growing in it. We've got two koi carp in the pond too...

20210704_160846.jpg

Topiary rep

• Upvote 2

On 27/06/2021 at 14:01, Chip Butty said:

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Fucking hell mate, well in! Im knackered after shifting a couple of those big gardening buckets full of soil.

The old girl has planted a load of fucking triffids around the garden which Ive been slowly digging out cos she cant tend to them now and Ive said we need to go less is more.

Had to dig the last one out with a pick axe cos the fucker was in deep.

Will you have to do a bit of crop rotation with your veggies?

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Trimming those balls is like meditation for me, I would happily do it all day.

Carry on Gardening.

Oo, err, missus.

Well, you’ve got a good eye. I find it really hard work

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Our back garden we inherited when we moved in 11 months ago has got all sorts of mental shit growing in it. We've got two koi carp in the pond too...

20210704_160846.jpg

Looks great that mate.

Love that wooden arbor feature. Deffo grow something up that. Maybe Clematis and hunnysuckle. Annual climbers look amazing but obvs die off in our cold winters.

Cant see into that border, to see whether they are herbaceous plants or weeds.

If they're weeds get one of these bad boys. They're fucking awesome and make a manly clicking sound when used.

oscillating-hoe-wide.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Looks great that mate.

Love that wooden arbor feature. Deffo grow something up that. Maybe Clematis and hunnysuckle. Annual climbers look amazing but obvs die off in our cold winters.

Cant see into that border, to see whether they are herbaceous plants or weeds.

If they're weeds get one of these bad boys. They're fucking awesome and make a manly clicking sound when used.

oscillating-hoe-wide.jpg

They're weeds unfortunately.

I'll look out one of those things, I'm not much of a gardener but I'm starting to love our wee nature reserve in the back. My missus wants to flatten it but I'm not keen.

24 minutes ago, Mook said:

They're weeds unfortunately.

I'll look out one of those things, I'm not much of a gardener but I'm starting to love our wee nature reserve in the back. My missus wants to flatten it but I'm not keen.

No way, it’s a fabulous garden

• Upvote 1

The pink valerian (back left) is wonderful at this time of the year. It'll die back in time and come spring it'll be popping back up again. It will set seed so you might want to deadhead it after the flowering is finished or find yourself overwhelmed next year. Just top the spent flower heads and I guess there's a chance you might get another offering late in the year. Early in winter you can cut it right back if you want. It's great for attracting moths and hoverflies. 

Leave the grasses to do their thing. Late on in Autumn, just like run your fingers through the clumps, gently teasing out dead strands. Same again in spring. 

As @neko says, more. Get some snapdragons in. They'll thrive there. Low maintenance. Easy.

I've already told you about your poppy heads, right? 

Think about some bulbs for early colour next year. Snowdrops? Daffs? Tulips? Crocus? Alium. Ooooh yeah. 

• Upvote 2