You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

A couple of new trees purchased. One Crab Apple (photo) and one Snow Queen.

The wife says it’ll be a few years before we see the benefit. I questioned the point and she replied that, that’s the thing about gardening. Capability Brown didn’t focus on himself, he thought about creating something for future generations to enjoy. I gave her a funny look and went inside. 

We do enjoy our gardening bantz. 

The other photo is of our cool greenhouse. 

D592BCA9-C0AA-45AF-BBEF-77E1612E6361.jpeg

Everytime I looked at it I'd have to shout "Can you start the fans please" 

5ca9fd2a308cb299f958f2226d04929e--crysta

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Finally got to the top of the allotment list and have been allocated a plot. It’s not massive but it’s all mine so I can grow what I want without kids and dogs killing it. I’m going for roses and ponds. 

24bcc8720f77f73a4938c4e0463ca126508c9722

Sad month at the Imya household. 

Our beautiful old oak, covered in Spanish moss and one of the things that first drew us to the house, has to come down. It's showing some green sprouting growth, which I thought meant it was still alive, but 4 separate tree experts have now told us that it's dead (or at least hollow) and the next big storm or hurricane will bring it down.

So we're taking it down on our own ahead of time, while it can be managed carefully not to destroy the house. Replacing it with a maple, which I didn't even know you could grow in Florida but apparently there's a species that does grow here. But still, it won't be nearly as iconic as an old, moss-covered oak, and it'll take 10 years to be even remotely comparable in size.

The wife is happy, though. It's given her a chance to remove all the palm trees, which she hates, and replace them with flowering plants of all sorts, so I suppose if she's happy, then I'm happy, since she cares about all of this 10x as much as I do.

Decided to add a bit of colour to the garden and made a small flower bed and put some Violas and some Stock (??? That's what it said on the pack) in. KidD helped, she's big into the garden at the minute. We don't really know what we're doing so we just spaced them put like the plant card said, and quickly watered them. 

Weeded quite a bit too but still lots of grass in the small flags. I have a weed burner which blasted it all with so hopefully I'll be able to brush it out. 

I'm already hating those slates. They're just a pain in the arse. Had to shift loads then cut through the plastic layer to get to the soil. No wonder everything is pot-based. 

I've spotted a place in the garden which gets virtually no direct sunlight during the day. I've moved a few things around so they get some sunlight and put my hardy grass in that corner. 

Someone mentioned an Acer, any other plants will not die in a purely shady spot? 

20210406_135724.jpg

What you’ve got there are annuals. You’ll get some nice flowers this year but they’ll be pretty much finished by the end of the year.

If you haven’t decided what you want to do with the space yet I’d recommend putting in some perennials that will bulk up and really fill that space. It’s a pity I’m so far away as I’m in the process of digging loads of stuff out at the moment.

in the meantime, have you been on Pinterest for ideas?

1 hour ago, Champ said:

What you’ve got there are annuals. You’ll get some nice flowers this year but they’ll be pretty much finished by the end of the year.

If you haven’t decided what you want to do with the space yet I’d recommend putting in some perennials that will bulk up and really fill that space. It’s a pity I’m so far away as I’m in the process of digging loads of stuff out at the moment.

in the meantime, have you been on Pinterest for ideas?

We're considering whether or not to get the whole thing remodelled next year, as we only moved in Dec. Thusly, we're just having a trial year in the garden before committing to annuals or anything else really. Everything apart from the flowers and the grasses I mentioned earlier were here when we moved. I haven't checked Pinterest good idea. 

34 minutes ago, neko said:

PD - not all Japanese maples (Acer Palmatum) are equal. 

Some do well in part to full sun, but many are great for shade. I have 20 different ones (22 in total) and can help you figure them out. If you want a good book on all things maples, try this...

https://www.amazon.ca/Japanese-Maples-Complete-Selection-Cultivation/dp/0881929328

I will PM you up Neko. 

19 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Decided to add a bit of colour to the garden and made a small flower bed and put some Violas and some Stock (??? That's what it said on the pack) in. KidD helped, she's big into the garden at the minute. We don't really know what we're doing so we just spaced them put like the plant card said, and quickly watered them. 

Weeded quite a bit too but still lots of grass in the small flags. I have a weed burner which blasted it all with so hopefully I'll be able to brush it out. 

I'm already hating those slates. They're just a pain in the arse. Had to shift loads then cut through the plastic layer to get to the soil. No wonder everything is pot-based. 

I've spotted a place in the garden which gets virtually no direct sunlight during the day. I've moved a few things around so they get some sunlight and put my hardy grass in that corner. 

Someone mentioned an Acer, any other plants will not die in a purely shady spot? 

20210406_135724.jpg

Hydrangeas will grow in shade,Flame of the Forest too.

• Upvote 1