You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, A Red said:

For your path you might want to consider Cellpave.

https://www.groundtrax.com/cellpave-40-porous-plastic-pavers/

Can be easier than putting hardcore and sand down, its porous, just cover with gravel. We've just done our drive with it and it works pretty well.

Cheers but I already have the hardcore and sand sitting on my drive ready to go!

• Upvote 1

On 27/03/2021 at 11:27, Chip Butty said:

Not sure on the plants, but I'd be ditching the Man City changies and subs bench theme. 

On a serious note, is it south facing? 

North East facing. Half gets sun most of the day, half doesn't. 

On 27/03/2021 at 17:12, VladimirIlyich said:

Looks like one of the types of houses my cousin used to own in West Derby.

This is in Netherton 

On 27/03/2021 at 17:38, Jennings said:

That's a hydrangea mate. Looks nice and healthy.

It'll grow big colourful flowers on it that'll last all through summer. They'll probably be pink - but if you get some Iron pellets (think its iron anyway) from the garden centre and put them in the soil, they'll go a lovely blue.

You could move it from the pot to a sunny part of the garden if you want it to grow big - but they look great in pots too.

Thanks mate. We had one of them in the old house yard and it thrived. Will keep it in the pit I think. Cheers for the ID

On 27/03/2021 at 18:03, Gruntfuttock said:

Picture 7 is also a Hydrangea.

Picture 8 is a rather sad looking Conifer,probably dig that out as they never look good after being pruned.

Picture 4 looks like the shrub that grows in my back garden.Can't remember it's name,but it has blue flowers and bees love it!

Yeah the conifer looks sad as fuck. That side of the garden is in shade for half the day. Any recommendations for replacements?

On 27/03/2021 at 20:47, Jennings said:

These pots have just had non-perennials in - you know, plants that only last one season.

Pull them out. Put some plant feeder pellets in (slow release) and maybe some compost. Turn it all over with a fork or trowel then plant some new bedding plants in May. Begonias or some shit - maybe some trailers ivy or flowering trailing bedding plant in that nice wooden tub. 

Just emptied the pots. That part of the garden is in shade most of the day due to the massive shed. Any recommendations for a replacement?

On 27/03/2021 at 21:54, Karl_b said:

Photo 9 looks like a hebe to mebe.

Cheers mate, I've a few of them according to my mum 

On 28/03/2021 at 13:18, Chip Butty said:

Nowhere near as salubrious as Yorkshirereds, but here's my toil below. Not into the flower side of gardening as much, so I grow Veg, have been for a few years, but this year I'm ramping it up and trying to become at least semi-self sustaining.

In the photies, the Garlic is starting to come through the weed matting and the other half of the opposite raised bed is getting prepared for seeding in the coming weeks. To ramp things up I've set up 4 more raised beds and manured them. 6 tonne of top soil to go on top of that in the coming weeks and then put the sides on. 

Garlic.JPG

Garlic2.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

Quality that, Jay. My daughter wants a veg patch and if we end up remodelling next year there will be space for them. I'm hoping for a herb garden too, not like that. 

General recommendations and tips for a low maintenence life?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just emptied the pots. That part of the garden is in shade most of the day due to the massive shed. Any recommendations for a replacement?

My recommendation would be to move it to the sun for summer and put some bedding plants in. You can move it back to the shade in the winter. They'll look great in that wooden pot.

You can then plant begonias; geranium; ivy; fuschia etc to make a great display. You can pick these up cheap outside the supermarkets from spring onwards. Obviously garden centres sell them too.

You can have fun making some great displays. Here's some pics off t'interweb...

Patio Summer Bedding Plants Stock Image - Image of plants, foliage:  115975957

6 Simple Tricks for Beautiful Garden Containers | Gardener's Path

When to plant out bedding plants

Summer Bedding Plants - Carpenters Nursery

• Upvote 2

On 28/03/2021 at 08:36, TheHowieLama said:

We are firmly in the raised bed solution, so much more control. Also using alot of containers last couple of seasons as they can be moved throughout the year to best spots.

Anyone else tried an Earthbox? Great yields, self watering, small enough to fit almost anywhere.

Manual says water daily!!! So much for self-watering.

I've seen similar DIY efforts on YouTube, usually for heavy feeders like Tomatos and the herb that shall not be named.

Bet the great yields are down to the square foot gardening spacing.

6 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Manual says water daily!!! So much for self-watering.

I've seen similar DIY efforts on YouTube, usually for heavy feeders like Tomatos and the herb that shall not be named.

Bet the great yields are down to the square foot gardening spacing.

No man - there is a reservoir - at most it needs filled once a week.

Agree, once you look at it its not all that. Have made a couple in other containers - really just need a screen to float the soil.

The last part - don't think so as I have many beds, the box sits on one. There is quite a difference and some of it does have to do with spacing. You can put stuff right on top of each other in the box. If my phone wasn't shite and I didn't have an intense hatred of Apple I would send some pics. You can also have the base of something like squash or cukes and let them crawl outside it.

This season am doing all my starts hydro, inside under a light.

Anybody go full hydro?

My next gola is to get a little shrimp/prawn aqua going.

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No man - there is a reservoir - at most it needs filled once a week.

Agree, once you look at it its not all that. Have made a couple in other containers - really just need a screen to float the soil.

The last part - don't think so as I have many beds, the box sits on one. There is quite a difference and some of it does have to do with spacing. You can put stuff right on top of each other in the box. If my phone wasn't shite and I didn't have an intense hatred of Apple I would send some pics. You can also have the base of something like squash or cukes and let them crawl outside it.

This season am doing all my starts hydro, inside under a light.

Anybody go full hydro?

My next gola is to get a little shrimp/prawn aqua going.

https://earthbox.com/media/wysiwyg/PDFs/OG_EBX_Instructions.pdf  is the manual says water daily.  Seems odd!!!

EDIT: Thinking about once the roots grow through to the reservoir I would imagine they could drink that reservoir pretty quickly, esp. if densely planted.

Sounds like a pretty neat setup, I may have to do something similar because the garden is overrun with root knot nematodes and I can't grow any  of my okra, eggplant, peppers. Bastards.

Food done hydro doesn't taste as good apparently.  Hydro is all about mainlining nutrient solution to get size/yield benefits. The other thing with hydro is at some point something breaks and you end up w/water everywhere.

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Yeah the conifer looks sad as fuck. That side of the garden is in shade for half the day. Any recommendations for replacements?

A Japanese Maple (also known as Acer)?

9639928ec94fcaa93054f20d47e5868eec12ec68

Left mine in a pot for for a couple of years before planting out,but you can put them straight in the ground.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Left mine in a pot for for a couple of years before planting out,but you can put them straight in the ground.

Is that the one you had in the pot? If so, round of applause, looks great  

29 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Looks lovely. I'm hoping to get a bottle brush plant as my mum has one and they're nice and bee friendly. 

Had my first go at gardening today in the new house. Managed to dig what I can only assume is called a Cunt Root out of the barrel bottom. It took about 20 minutes because of the barrel restricting leverage and because I don't really know what I'm doing. In the end I was tearing roots under it with my bare hands.  There's another one straight in the ground which I'll despatch tomorrow.  In its place I planted some Hardy curly grass and black grasses my mum give me some of. The barrel is going to stay where it is, in the shade, as it'd be a cunt to move. 

I put my small bay tree from the aldi in an unused pot and some more black grass in another. 

I pulled a layer of moss off a pot to find some bulbs emerging so it will be interesting to see what they are. Gave everything a good watering and now I'm shattered. 

20210331_164435.jpg

20210331_164342.jpg

20210331_164350.jpg

20210331_164401.jpg

• Upvote 2

A couple of new trees purchased. One Crab Apple (photo) and one Snow Queen.

The wife says it’ll be a few years before we see the benefit. I questioned the point and she replied that, that’s the thing about gardening. Capability Brown didn’t focus on himself, he thought about creating something for future generations to enjoy. I gave her a funny look and went inside. 

We do enjoy our gardening bantz. 

The other photo is of our cool greenhouse. 

33C29846-767A-4731-B6FA-B6A78866022D.jpeg

D592BCA9-C0AA-45AF-BBEF-77E1612E6361.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

A couple of new trees purchased. One Crab Apple (photo) and one Snow Queen.

The wife says it’ll be a few years before we see the benefit. I questioned the point and she replied that, that’s the thing about gardening. Capability Brown didn’t focus on himself, he thought about creating something for future generations to enjoy. I gave her a funny look and went inside. 

We do enjoy our gardening bantz. 

The other photo is of our cool greenhouse. 

33C29846-767A-4731-B6FA-B6A78866022D.jpeg

D592BCA9-C0AA-45AF-BBEF-77E1612E6361.jpeg

You have a geodesic dome for a greenhouse, Buckminster?

Sensational, repped.

• Upvote 2