You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I’ve got worms in my cherries this year, and I was careful to spray them during blossom

Still, it’s better than the Nazi stick grenades and mortar bombs that we found planted in the garden a few weeks back. Bullets keep cropping up as well, found another one this morning

8 hours ago, PestiRed said:

I’ve got worms in my cherries this year, and I was careful to spray them during blossom

Still, it’s better than the Nazi stick grenades and mortar bombs that we found planted in the garden a few weeks back. Bullets keep cropping up as well, found another one this morning

Watch out for the Doodle Bugs.

Hopefully moving house soon to a place with a bigger garden. I keep finding stag beetles on the pavement, and end up trying to rescue them. It's given me an idea to perhaps have a patch for bugs and things in the new garden. Leave it with some wild flowers and the like, perhaps with a few logs and such

Anyone done something similar?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 11:16, VladimirIlyich said:

I reckon Fuschias and Hydrangeas could cope with this,off the top of my head.

On 06/06/2019 at 13:05, neko said:

Fuschias and Hydrangeas tend to prefer part-sun to shade. Definitely not full sun in a pot that may not get watered.

Perhaps a tall grass ? Usually drought tolerant and low maintenance.

On 06/06/2019 at 13:31, Champ said:

Are you on ground level or are we talking about a balcony or something as big as a roof garden?

Either way if we’re talking about growing things in pots/containers the bigger the container the better for getting enough water in that any plants will be able to tolerate some neglect. 

Pointers for choosing plants

Look around at what seems to grow well for your neighbours

Plants that grow in hot climates 

Plants with grey and/or glossy foliage 

Have you got space for an olive plant or a fig? Both grow well in pots.

You could also grow vegetables and herbs in pots, especially sun loving things like tomatoes, chillies, peppers, basil.

And for colour at this this time of year lavender and pelargoniums (geraniums)

I’d also go along with neko’s grasses suggestion.

How am I doing?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Got a load of pots

I tried Lavender but they are looking a bit peaky, probably because I watered them too much.

I tried pansy like things (can't remember their name) and rosemary and that has worked out, is it possible to keep the later alive over the long term? Or would you have to take it inside?

I got sun flower seeds that have grown, but have no head on them yet.

There was a pre-existing Hydrangea and a rose, but the former is getting battered by white fly this year (really hard to get rid of, as it's difficult to get towards the back of the plant).

On 21/06/2019 at 00:54, tokyojoe said:

Can anyone recommend a weedkiller that actually works?

Flamethrower.

Seriously. Kero or propane. I can't remember the name of the kero ones but the propane ones are called weed dragons.

As used by Lifey for his breakfasts.

• Upvote 1

On 20/06/2019 at 18:54, tokyojoe said:

Can anyone recommend a weedkiller that actually works?

If it's just the weed - get some white vinegar spray and cover it. 

It'll kill off the weed within about 24 hours. It'll fuck up other plants if they get vinegar on them though. 

On 08/06/2019 at 19:39, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Hopefully moving house soon to a place with a bigger garden. I keep finding stag beetles on the pavement, and end up trying to rescue them. It's given me an idea to perhaps have a patch for bugs and things in the new garden. Leave it with some wild flowers and the like, perhaps with a few logs and such

Everyone should leave a patch for wild flowers etc to attracts certain different insects which in turn attracts birds and other things, it looks better too 

• Upvote 2

On 08/06/2019 at 19:39, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don’t know whether you saw the feature on Springwatch earlier this year which showed wildlife writer, Kate Bradbury ‘re-wilding’ the garden in her new home in Brighton. It’s definitely a real thing at the moment and makes so much sense 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07bwq11

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

I don’t know whether you saw the feature on Springwatch earlier this year which showed wildlife writer, Kate Bradbury ‘re-wilding’ the garden in her new home in Brighton. It’s definitely a real thing at the moment and makes so much sense 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07bwq11

Seen that , it’s well worth it as it attracted all kinds of things and who wouldn’t enjoy that ? Well kept pristine gardens are all very well but lifeless , a mate had one but here and there he’d planted various wild plants/ flowers which would bring in birds that like to feed on particular ones such as Bullfinches for one , theirs not much better visitors to a garden than one of those handsome birds, though they tend to skulk out of sight at least they were there.

Ive only a flat so sadly no garden but a lot of the residents have various plants outside which makes it all look good , I try to to do my bit with a few outside my door, coming back one day there was two different butterflies on them which put a smile on my face plus there’s a Wren flitting about which is really good for a centre of town place , so it pays to think about what to plant and what it attracts.

Though if you seen a film as my mate did in CITB school you might have different views, it was called Concrete Needn’t Be Boring, riveting I imagine.

• Upvote 1

On 16/07/2019 at 07:57, Six Buoys said:

If it's just the weed - get some white vinegar spray and cover it. 

It'll kill off the weed within about 24 hours. It'll fuck up other plants if they get vinegar on them though. 

Is ‘white vinegar’ just clear vinegar?

I’ve seen this a couple of times recently and seeing as how none of the branded weedkillers seem to do much more than kill the visible leaves I’ve given it a go this morning. I’ll report back

25 minutes ago, Champ said:

Is ‘white vinegar’ just clear vinegar?

I’ve seen this a couple of times recently and seeing as how none of the branded weedkillers seem to do much more than kill the visible leaves I’ve given it a go this morning. I’ll report back

It's used as a cleaning product (great for cleaning windows etc). You can get it for like 79p in a spray bottle from BM Bargains or any local supermarket.

If you soak the weed (may 1-2 gos) but it'll dry up the moisture and it'll kill it that way. Took about 24hrs and they were mostly all dead so I just pulled them out and then sprayed the soil with it to kill off any roots. None have seemed to grow back which is great. 

Just keep it away from the plants you want to keep or it'll box them off too. 

2 hours ago, Six Buoys said:

It's used as a cleaning product (great for cleaning windows etc). You can get it for like 79p in a spray bottle from BM Bargains or any local supermarket.

If you soak the weed (may 1-2 gos) but it'll dry up the moisture and it'll kill it that way. Took about 24hrs and they were mostly all dead so I just pulled them out and then sprayed the soil with it to kill off any roots. None have seemed to grow back which is great. 

Just keep it away from the plants you want to keep or it'll box them off too. 

So basically, Roundup without the added cancer.

14 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

So basically, Roundup without the added cancer.

You can also manage them by using newspaper/cardboard as mulch. 

Clear top soil, get a load of free newspapers (removing all the plastic bits) and lay them down, soak them so they stick together and then add bark/fresh soil. It you keep doing it over the year it's an organic weed fabric that'll improve the soil naturally too. 

22 hours ago, Six Buoys said:

You can also manage them by using newspaper/cardboard as mulch. 

Clear top soil, get a load of free newspapers (removing all the plastic bits) and lay them down, soak them so they stick together and then add bark/fresh soil. It you keep doing it over the year it's an organic weed fabric that'll improve the soil naturally too. 

Great minds and all that.  That's pretty much how I establish my raised beds.

On 16/07/2019 at 22:55, easytoslip said:

Everyone should leave a patch for wild flowers etc to attracts certain different insects which in turn attracts birds and other things, it looks better too 

Put in a raised bed and you can attract all the neighborhood cats too!