You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9 hours ago, neko said:

looks nice - some mature trees there for privacy.

unless you have a dog (or small children), I'd ditch the fence and upgrade the pavers.

just a quick impression though - you need to settle in before deciding.

Yeah, I've got all winter to plan it out. 

My initial thoughts are to replace the fences with something smaller and reduce them down to 2.

Upgrade paving to something more appealing. 

Clear the back area by the shed and maybe get a bigger shed too. Add a growing area for herbs etc (need to review sunlight areas). 

Move the bushes randomly in the grass to the side and build that up. 

Add string lights to light up the paved area and get some better outdoor furniture. 

Great space though, really pleased with it. 

14 hours ago, neko said:

looks nice - some mature trees there for privacy.

unless you have a dog (or small children), I'd ditch the fence and upgrade the pavers.

just a quick impression though - you need to settle in before deciding.

All those curves!

5 hours ago, Seasons said:

Yeah, I've got all winter to plan it out. 

My initial thoughts are to replace the fences with something smaller and reduce them down to 2.

Upgrade paving to something more appealing. 

Clear the back area by the shed and maybe get a bigger shed too. Add a growing area for herbs etc (need to review sunlight areas). 

Move the bushes randomly in the grass to the side and build that up. 

Add string lights to light up the paved area and get some better outdoor furniture. 

Great space though, really pleased with it. 

Ah, that looks nice. 

And a great time to be moving in, giving you a chance to see how the light etc works before setting to properly in the spring

• 1 month later...

Prepped the garden for Spring, feel boss and accomplished. 

With all the rain lately my garden shown some drainage issues. Dug a hole today as it's been fairly dry of late and filled it with water. Looks like it's draining fairly quickly once the clays been removed/broken which will save me a massive task in the spring. Happy days. 

Building a cold frame tomorrow too. 

On 1/5/2019 at 10:02 PM, Seasons said:

Prepped the garden for Spring, feel boss and accomplished. 

With all the rain lately my garden shown some drainage issues. Dug a hole today as it's been fairly dry of late and filled it with water. Looks like it's draining fairly quickly once the clays been removed/broken which will save me a massive task in the spring. Happy days. 

Building a cold frame tomorrow too. 

Looks like the drainage went well and theb slowed at the bottom. Wondering if thats where my watertable is. 

• 3 weeks later...

Taking back the drainage comment - the last few days of rain have turned the garden into what is now a swimming pool. It looks like heavy clay all around which is going to take a few seasons to even see any minor improvement. 

Eventually need to replace the mature tree in the back as it's fucking up all the fences. 

Anyone got any ideas for screening a corner that doesn't involve another tree fucking up fences later down the line? 

A few structural changes to ours since the summer. We've demolished half a garage, put a new shed in and half of the lawn is currently a building site and scrap yard whilst we have an extension built. That'll include a new raised patio and adjacent lower level patio which will finally start to give some formal structure to the entertainment end of the garden. 

In the middle garden, the willow "fedge" and young fruit trees we planted last year have established themselves so looking forward to getting more from them this year.

The allotment end continues to produce, just starting to think about this year's planting plan and we have some crops ready to go in when it warms up (peas, kale, etc). 

Currently working on a 10 year implementation programme!

Hi all, I'm after a bit of information please. For the past few years I've grow a few autoflower weed plants out in the back garden in a plastic greenhouse from argos, my problem is slugs and snails seem to eat at least half my plants and with the summer not to far off I'm planning my next grow. Ive been doing research on slug and snail control. Does copper tape around the pots actually work? Any advice would be sound and very appreciated

I tried beer pots but not with enough success 

4 hours ago, Carra's_comb_over said:

Hi all, I'm after a bit of information please. For the past few years I've grow a few autoflower weed plants out in the back garden in a plastic greenhouse from argos, my problem is slugs and snails seem to eat at least half my plants and with the summer not to far off I'm planning my next grow. Ive been doing research on slug and snail control. Does copper tape around the pots actually work? Any advice would be sound and very appreciated

I tried beer pots but not with enough success 

Liquid copper fungicide does for snails, where I am.  I'm sure there's  better, but it works almost as well as picking them off!

• 2 months later...

Busy day in both front and back gardens.

Front: Needed tidying up however the previous owner dotted rocks around the top end of the grass which made it look a bit weird when I've moved them into the corner. Going to fill it up with some lovely bushes and get a bit more colour in there when I work some organic matter into it and kill off the 5 million roots that I discovered. Feels great having it tided up.

Back: Drainage issue work beginning - no point in putting drainage pipes in as it's compacted and the colour 1ft deep is just lacking in nutrients. Filling the trench with manure, compost and shredded leaves to help improve the quality/add more goodness into it. Think the back is going to have to wait a few seasons to even begin.

All that digging has fucked my back though, dreading tomorrow.

IMG_20190411_173948.jpg

IMG_20190414_131637_(1).jpg

IMG_20190414_145812.jpg

IMG_20190414_150117.jpg

35 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Flagged to Extinction Rebellion.

Aye, they went a bit mental on the flags to the point where they started burying them into the soil to which I assume was to try and improve the drainage in the clay soil. Could build a house with all the broken up pieces I've found buried in the clay.

I know it's spring and time to get excited about the garden season(s), but I found some pics on my camera of the front and back garden in autumn colours.

Japanese Maples from the front (22 in all), grasses out back....

NssOylk.jpg

TGBkfAI.jpg

oqBMhW1.jpg

yJ3DuQK.jpg

M3rQLzM.jpg

17 minutes ago, neko said:

Speaking of autumn, this was from the same time last year at our new property in Northern Ontario....pretty excited for what we can do there.

Mrs Neko in the foreground for scale.

UYFZeQX.jpg

What are your plans, neko?