You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you like to see Rafa back one day?

Would you like to see Rafa back again?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Rafa back again?

It s a hard one to answer for me as there is pluses and negatives with Benitez. There is no question about him being one of the best managers around. He worked wonders here even though there was times when the football we played was some of the most boring I have ever seen us play.

When all the shit was going on at the club he should not of got involved in it or his constant using of the media to as I see it get the fans on his side.

The constant subject of him leaving was a main topic in the media at the time. He had been moaning rightly or wrongly for quite a while about the lack of funds available to him. So with all what he was complaining about he should of refused a new contract and resigned over it. To every fan here that would of shown that his apparent love of the club to be true. He could of walked into another job at the time with his reputation high.

Instead of resigning he didn't he infact accepted a new highly paid contract when knowing how much shit the club was in and the bigger fact of knowing there was no money to spend , which was the major thing he had been shouting from the rooftops about. That to me put a major question mark about his integrity and his love of the club. He should of resigned.

That following season was total shite and to make it worse Benitezs interviews after the matchs left you with a bad taste in your mouth at his apparent couldn't care less attitude. It happened on more than one occasion his apparent lack of concern of how crap we had played.

The end of that season saw him leave with a massive payoff a year after signing his contract and walk into another highly paid job that he had obviously imo already had lined up. You don't walk into a new managers job after leaving a club within days and that tells you the Inter job was waiting for him.

He should never of signed that contract and should of resigned on his principles and the fact he didn't and what then happened will never sit right for me or a lot of fans.

So would I like to see him back, yes if he kept his mouth shut I probably would but it will never happen as I would think the club would never ask him back. That's just how I feel about his time here, a great manager but I could never trust anything he said after the way his end came about here.

• 3 weeks later...

FSG would be in love with Rafa if he was here. Imagine Rafa being given £6m to spend on an unproven kid like Luis Alberto, or taking a gamble on young Borini for £11m, or 20 year old Coutinho for £8m. We have owners who want to spend big on youth, and Rafa wanted that but never had the money to do it. Also, we, as fans, never gave him the opportunity or excuse to spend big on youth, we would have imploded if we'd spent £6m on an untested lad like Alberto in 2009.

Instead he had to trawl around the six figure mark, or occassionally getting it to £1m, or even £2m:

Barragan £240k

Miki Roque £200k

Jack Hobbs £150k

Besian Idrizaj £190k (RIP)

Paul Anderson (swap for John Welsh)

Mark Gonzalez £1.5 Million

Gabriel Paletta £2 Million

Nabil El Zhar £200k

Astrit Ajdarevic £750k

Jordy Brouwer £150k

Krisztian Nemeth £240k

Mikel San Jose Dominguez £270k

Sebastian Leto £1.8 Million

Emiliano Insua £1.3 Million

David NGog £1.5 Million

Daniel Ayala £160k

This is the problem with fishing for youth talent with small bait. Had we given him £4m - £11m to spend on talent, then we might see some gigantic talents roll into the club.

So, my point being that in the furore over FSG wanting to appoint the right man, and Rafa being seen as 'damaged goods', and also having 'wasted' loads of money on small signings like this, there is actually a correlation between what he was trying to do and what FSG are trying to achieve with Rodgers.

Do not get me wrong, I'm very happy with Rodgers, I hope he stays here for a long time, but I'm pointing out that the very best man for the job, under this model, was/is probably Benitez.

Actually, I suppose you could consider Ryan Babel an expensive experiment. £11m paid for a 20 year old.

Weird creature is Babel, he had all the tools to destroy defenders in this league, just seemed like he couldnt be arsed.

10 goals in 49 appearances in his first season was quite a decent return to be honest, he could just never replicate that.

We even got £8m for him off Hoffenheim, so Rafa wasnt the only one to spot the 'potential', except Hoffenheim let his contract run down and never got anything when he left.

Now plying his trade at Turkish side Kasimpasa FC.

However, another Rafa big money signing could be Lucas Leiva for £5m, and that experiment has worked out just fine.

Fuck me he bought some absolute shite didnt he. Unbelievable how mixed they were he's definitely a two sided coin one side is greatness and the other pure shite. Instead of buying 10 shite players keep the money or buy one player fucking hell Rafa what were you doing are you insane totally and utterly insane. Do you collect panini football stickers and treasure the obscure shit ones no one had any idea who they were. People see small profit on a player who had no impact for us whatsoever as a great thing it isn't we paid the fuckers millions of pounds whilst they were here to do what make up the numbers of shitness pure shitness. His great signings were the absolute best and the rest where absolute dross and they all fall on his feet. Spending 18 million on a midfielder and 18 million on a right back in your final year is a fair sum to spend, net spend breaking it all down is horseshit. Regardless of how much danger it would of got the club in do you think Rafa would of said no to a big kitty its too dangerous for the club, he'd of snapped their hand off, he only give a fuck when it impacted his ideas. He is a football manager not a guru who came to enlighten us all, he's an excellent and flawed football manager. I wish him the very best at the club he has just said are the most passionate fans he's ever had the fortune to manage. Apparently I ain't read the quotes. I'm not even sure I believe half of what I just wrote some of it I absolutely don't I'm just hugely bored and want to poke the nest now its in its own contained environment. Fuck me I hate no football and shit transfer rumors.

He probably wanted us to be forced into administration. He caused just as much damage as Gillett and Hicks. I've been told the only reason he went for glen Johnson is that it took us closer to financial meltdown.

If you had said Aquaman instead of Johnson people might of believed you. Everybody knows the reason we got Johnson was because they still owed us a lot of cash and we wouldn't of got the cash, because of the problem at Portsmouth.

Whatever people say about why he was sacked, it s obvious to a blindman it must of been bad for Broughton to sack him. There s none of this conspiracy shite of others wanting him out , as Broughton is not some braindead nomark, He knew exactly why he had to sack him.

If you had said Aquaman instead of Johnson people might of believed you. Everybody knows the reason we got Johnson was because they still owed us a lot of cash and we wouldn't of got the cash, because of the problem at Portsmouth.

Whatever people say about why he was sacked, it s obvious to a blindman it must of been bad for Broughton to sack him. There s none of this conspiracy shite of others wanting him out , as Broughton is not some braindead nomark, He knew exactly why he had to sack him.

Cant agree mate.

Pompey was forced to pay the other clubs money and if someone owe you money you usually negiotiate so you get a bargain not pay the double of what a players is worth and then some.

The same goes for the Aquilani story and Riise money, it makes no sense at all, but its funny reading though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This again? Xabi/Barry, rub hands at carra, allied with hicks, net spend, dagger in the dark, purslow snake, he made many mistakes but can't name any, shafted by owners, betrayed by paco, obstructed by parry, 2 european cup finals, one fa cup, we should have won we were the best team/he wasted the title. Forget anything?

This again? Xabi/Barry, rub hands at carra, allied with hicks, net spend, dagger in the dark, purslow snake, he made many mistakes but can't name any, shafted by owners, betrayed by paco, obstructed by parry, 2 european cup finals, one fa cup, we should have won we were the best team/he wasted the title. Forget anything?

You forgot this is TAAFMF.

He had been moaning rightly or wrongly for quite a while about the lack of funds available to him.

:wallbutt:

2004/05 LFC 2nd highest transfer spend in Premier league

2005/06 LFC 2nd highest transfer spend in Premier league

2006/07 LFC 4th highest transfer spend in Premier league

2007/08 LFC 2nd highest transfer spend in Premier league