You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Evans

He favoured an attacking style without establishing a solid base at the back. Attractive to watch but ultimately doomed to failure. At least none of his successors are likely to be tempted down the same path.

Played the football we all wanted to see, just some players wanted to win things and others wanted to be paid and go on the piss. Unfortunately it's the ones that didn't care that fucked it up, not Roy.

Get on you defending him. You'd swear you are friends with his family or something.

Get on you defending him. You'd swear you are friends with his family or something.

Rumbled!

I wasn't going to reply to the thread as it would be full of bias but after thinking about it I genuinely enjoyed our football under Roy. After the Souness years at least he brought us back into a title race and went on some mad run of 20-odd games unbeaten one season, playing attractive football.*

*I can sense my bias again.

Rumbled!

I wasn't going to reply to the thread as it would be full of bias but after thinking about it I genuinely enjoyed our football under Roy. After the Souness years at least he brought us back into a title race and went on some mad run of 20-odd games unbeaten one season, playing attractive football.*

*I can sense my bias again.

Evansapologist.

Get behind our current manager for fucks sake.

• 2 weeks later...

His team played some really nice stuff but he was out of his depth really. With the squad he had we should have won the league but we never got close, except one season when James started fucking things up for us in goal. If we had a better manager then, perhaps had we employed Wenger we would have pissed the league several times over in the mid-late 90's.

If he'd picked Paddy Berger instead of Leonardsen we might well have won the league.

Leonhardsen wasn't at the club when we fucked up that title challenge back in 1997. He joined immediately afterwards. But yes, he was a shit signing regardless.

Roy Evans side was one of the most talented sides we ever had. But it lacked balls. There was way too many posers and pussies in that squad. Jamie Redknapp was a prime example. Yes he could pass a ball through the eye of a needle, but he couldn't tackle a bacon sandwich.

Roy signed Paul Ince to add a bit of nastiness, but that didn't work, because Ince was by then an egotistical cunt with a massive head.

If that side had real balls and a backbone, it would have won a few titles.

• 2 months later...

I was just thinking about this today.

Barcelona move for McManaman - Sport - The Independent

The club shipped one of its best players out to hang around in Barcelona for a few hours, before flying him back home and expecting him to remain totally committed for the following season.

If forums had been around then, this would've caused a civil war, with both Roy and Shaggy being slaughtered.

A major missed opportunity - he had the money to outspend anybody in the league, inherited some of the finest homegrown talent and had should have learnt enough from all the years in the bootroom (how many managers spent time with Shankly and Paisley) to close the deal. He also had fairly poor opposition to cope with (Utd even managed to win with half their youth team)

Although I enjoyed some of the football - the purple patch when Berger arrived for starters, it was a depressing to watch players openly take the piss out of the manager and supporters. Fowler and Macca having a laugh without a care in the world, nicking the managers parking space, and even shagging his daughter. Although Ged clearly lost it later on, the club owes him a huge amount for restoring the pride of the club.

The pass-the-poundcoin era.

Roy Evans is a thoroughly decent man who served this club with dedication and absolute loyalty for decades. That he came up short of winning the league as manager is no disgrace to him.

Those cunts that took the piss out of him, played pass the pound, 'win or lose, first on the booze', are the disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves.