You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philadelphia

Navman

Going there for a week (for work)

Anyone been? - where is good to go (for a drink?) and generally go out (the conference is full of suits so I will likely need hard liquor)

Any advice massively appreciated as I cant seem to find out much about the place

I've been, mate. Ace place. Was there for four days a few years ago and got in with a great crowd from Baltimore who were there for a long weekend and the it soon escalated into a four day bender.

Be sure to check out the old town. It's brilliant.

Oh, and stop in this place for a bevvy. Quality boozer:

http://macstavern.com/

I'll report back with a few more places once I can remember them. One or two memories of the place are very hazy!

Stayed there for a night on my 29th birthday last year with my girlfriend. Went to Edgar Allen Poe's house, and there was an excellent tour guide. Went to the museum of art, and they had an excellent van gough exibit travelling though at the time; also did the Rocky steps. Had the best steak I've ever had at The Butcher and Singer. Highly recommended! Stayed at The Morris House next to Washington Park. Nice, quiet boutique hotel with a spa bathtub. Visited the Liberty Bell, and Independence Hall as well.

Good time out, got some awesome birthday sex too!

I contracted AIDS after having unprotected sex with a tub of soft cheese from Tom Hankses's fridge in the mid 80s. First thing I knew about it was when my face broke out in chives, then I got sacked as a top lawyer. "Hard cheese" they said to me as I left. "Hard cheese."

"Hard cheese."

Go to Joe Fraziers Gym on West Glenwood. It's on the North side of the City and a bit off the beaten track. If you're White, you will be the only fella for miles who is.

I did and I was.

It's a three storey listed building and has a preservation order on it now after the demise of the great man.

It's worth a visit just for the historical significance.

Other than that, Philly is a great place, lots of venues and friendly bars in the City, they don't mind Brits at all. Say you're from Liverpool and they will welcome you.

Been to Philly loads of time. South Street is the place you want from Front street to about 7th. Too many great bars to mention but Jim's is a Philadelphia institution go and have a cheese steak.

Don't go any further West than 8th, its starts to get dodgy.

Rittenhouse square is good for places to eat as well, its formal compared to South Street but still good.

For sightseeing the independence mall has the liberty bell and the original US parliament.

The art museum for the rocky steps and a great view of the city at dusk when all the skyscrapers are lit up.

Penn's Landing is the sort of touristy bit by the river. I'm not fussed for it but there are some old ships and subs.

Amazing restaurants, but never been on a real drinking session there. If you like sushi then go to Morimoto. Best I've ever had. There's a guy who owns loads of restaurants in Philly... I think his name is Phillip Stark... if you eat at one of them then you won't go wrong.

Also, if you're planing on doing a bit of shopping then go to the King of Prussia mall which is about half an hour away. Huge.

All other tips on the thread are good. It's a decent place and the locals are very friendly.