You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mancini

RobbieOR

They've brought in Spaniards at the top so it was to be expected they'd make the change whenever they could.

And with Mancini pissing off the players by making them responsible for every little mistake - and doing so publicly - he ran out of allies at the club.

Remember how he'd also attacked the club in public over transfers.

He had to go for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree. A season-season business plan is very expensive. They have had quite a bad blip this year though - even if they win their two remaining games, they'll have 8 points less than last season, but still 10 more than 2 seasons ago. The point made above about the quality of their CL Group, which for a team that had won its League was ridiculously hard, is fair - although not winning a single game was pretty poor by any standards. Overall someone has to decide whether it is a blip or a trend, then act. With the upheaval at their main rivals though, to take away that advantage by removing their own manager is a risky and maybe unnecessary decision to take.

He got rid of good players and replaced them with inferior ones.

You live and die by your transfers and he died by them.

Did a decent job overall but falling short in Europe after heavy investment always spells trouble.

Yeah basically. They've played some real turgid shit at times this year too.

Apart from signing a lot of average and half decent players for a lot of money.

Mancini did not sign the players last summer and they were mostly all shite, apart from Nastasic.

This years City team is weaker than last years so them not improving much should not surprise anyone.

Barcelona are also sniffing around Pellegrini according to some of the papers, maybe they'll end up with Rafa. In fact I'd say Rafa would be a safer bet and if it's success in Europe they want, he could be just what they're looking for.

2004 - UEFA Cup winner

2005 - CL winner

2007 - CL runner up

2008 - CL semi finals

2009 - CL quarter finals

2010 - UEFA Cup semi finals

2013 - Uefa Cup finalists (possible winners)

Pretty damning from Danny Mills.

Doesn't particularly sound like Mancini's heart was in it, don't know if that's cos it was City or if it's just his managerial style. Either way, right decision to sack him for me, just not sure about his replacement - I think it would serve Utd's rivals to show a statement of intent this summer, including us.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He got rid of good players and replaced them with inferior ones.

Like who, mate? Maybe I'm missing a trick on this. As far as I can see, he got rid of quite a few shit players and replaced them with vastly better ones at great cost. Other than Balotelli, who I think he'd have liked a replacement for.

Manchester City Transfers | Premiership Transfers

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Johnson was primarily a substitute, so no big deal there. De Jong only started 10 league games for City, so no massive deal there. Balotelli should have been replaced, but I don't buy the charge that he's selling quality players and replacing them with inferior ones. Over his three years, he has sold shit players and replaced them with good ones. As Mancini said publicly, the club fucked up with transfers last season. I don't think it was his choice.

Johnson was primarily a substitute, so no big deal there. De Jong only started 10 league games for City, so no massive deal there. Balotelli should have been replaced, but I don't buy the charge that he's selling quality players and replacing them with inferior ones. Over his three years, he has sold shit players and replaced them with good ones. As Mancini said publicly, the club fucked up with transfers last season. I don't think it was his choice.

Johnson was a sub who scored and created goals.

I'm talking exclusively about last summer though.

Mancini did not sign the players last summer and they were mostly all shite, apart from Nastasic.

This years City team is weaker than last years so them not improving much should not surprise anyone.

They got worse this year overall. Rightly or wrongly, the manager is going to be held responsible for that. As well as their abject failure to compete in the Champions League two years in a row.

They got worse this year overall. Rightly or wrongly, the manager is going to be held responsible for that. As well as their abject failure to compete in the Champions League two years in a row.

I'm not saying Mancini could not have done a better job, but he had finished 3rd (behind Chelsea on GD) and won the FA Cup, won the PL and reached the League Cup semi and finished second and reached the FA Cup final in his last 3 seasons.

It should be enough to give him at least another season, especially considering they have had big injury problems this season to key players.

Like who' date=' mate? Maybe I'm missing a trick on this. As far as I can see, he got rid of quite a few shit players and replaced them with vastly better ones at great cost. Other than Balotelli, who I think he'd have liked a replacement for.

Manchester City Transfers | Premiership Transfers

What code said.

Plus Rodwell and Garcia have looked pretty shit too.

I would have sold Tevez before Balotelli myself.

Standing by Balotelli for so long whilst criticising other players did him no favours.

When Hart said they shouldn't have lost at the Bernabeu (which was true and not aimed at the manager) Mancini seemed snarky and defensive, it looked like a weak manager afraid that the criticism would fall on him. I'd say that was the final straw.

He was always on borrowed time though, you can't play Brewster's Millioms with other people's money then piss and moan afterwards.

They have gone about it like nobheads. Does no cunt realise the season isn't even over yet?

I do think the decision is the right one for City though. I have never rated mancini and compare his success to that of me going Liverpool on football manager 2011, selling babel and jovanovic to city and chelsea for a combined 120 million and then winning the league in my second season.

Not sure about pellegrini though,. i thought they may have moved for ancelotti or Maureen to be honest but even so a change was needed.

Plus - his relationship with the players was shit.

Just seen someone say on bbc sport that rodgers is now the 7th longest sevring manager in the prem and he hasn't been here a year yet?

fuck modern footy

So they win and it's because of money and when they lose it's because Mancini?

I didnt say that mate, but maybe. Let me explain why.

My point was, the grandiose statement of "he's won them their first title in x years" gravely distorts the real reason they won the title - because they bought a shit load of players. It also sensationalises the impact his sacking will have on the team.

People can go about calling them "stupid" as much as they want, just like do with Chelsea, but in the end they'll pretty much definitely be competing for honours next year and will probably win something. Why? Because they'll spend a fuck load of money, again.

I'm not saying managers of mega rich clubs aren't talented, and Mancini is. But the job at City is ridiculously fucking simple and pretty much depends on your ability to manage ego's (which is the reason why he's been sacked, incidentally).

Succeeding or faltering at City or Chelsea is no barometer of ability and it will always be a poisoned chalice - you have a higher chance of success and if you succeed, it was expected anyway; if you fail, there really are no excuses and you personally must have fucked it up, nothing else. Thats the reality.

I didnt say that mate, but maybe. Let me explain why.

My point was, the grandiose statement of "he's won them their first title in x years" gravely distorts the real reason they won the title - because they bought a shit load of players. It also sensationalises the impact his sacking will have on the team.

People can go about calling them "stupid" as much as they want, just like do with Chelsea, but in the end they'll pretty much definitely be competing for honours next year and will probably win something. Why? Because they'll spend a fuck load of money, again.

I'm not saying managers of mega rich clubs aren't talented, and Mancini is. But the job at City is ridiculously fucking simple and pretty much depends on your ability to manage ego's (which is the reason why he's been sacked, incidentally).

Succeeding or faltering at City or Chelsea is no barometer of ability and it will always be a poisoned chalice - you have a higher chance of success and if you succeed, it was expected anyway; if you fail, there really are no excuses and you personally must have fucked it up, nothing else. Thats the reality.

That's essentially it. Either a thankless task or an irresistible challenge, where you are expected to deliver tangible evidence of success every year. It will be interesting to see how much these clubs are constrained by FFP. My guess is that the effect will be negligible.