You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mancini

RobbieOR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider where they've finished in the league in the last 3 seasons and the fact they've won 2 trophies and finished as runners-up in the FA Cup too, sacking Mancini might seem a little hasty. But another way to look at it is that the side have regressed somewhat, and he didn't given much impression that he could galvanise and get them motivated again. Also, Mancini's record in Europe has always been pretty poor, so in a sense it is understandable that they want to bring in someone to help them make inroads in the Champions League. This is the way of things at those clubs with owner who throw money at the team - it is all about the short term and the one thing all that money definitely won't buy is time.

Curse of the billionaire plaything unfortunately. If you're the manager of a club with near unlimited funds and having spent not far off a billion since they took over then you have to deliver every season. Your previous achievements buys you absolutely no credit.

Whether his sacking is justified is one thing but the classless ungracious way they've gone about it speaks volumes.

Has a very good Cv and seems like a nice bloke, I like him apart from his Disagreement with Stevie over Glen Johnson's challenge but I don't rate him that highly as a manager, I think City can be taken to another level with the right manager they were very pedestrian this year.

They will finish second this season, they reached the FA Cup final and they got knocked out of their CL group by two later semi finalists, all this without Mancini getting any of his targets last summer.

If they had kept hold of Balotelli they might have won the FA Cup and finished with around the same points as last season.

Curse of the billionaire plaything unfortunately.

I think its more about the arrival of the two Spaniards, always felt that was a bit ominous for Mancini.

I think in this case this year's results just give them an excuse to make a change they wanted to for many other reasons.

100% the right decision

Got lucky last year, united throwing away a 9 point lead with 7 games to go or whatever it was

Totally inempt in the champions league

Outclassed by Wigan

He had to go, they would have been mental to keep him. For the players they had his style of play was a joke

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Mancini is a complete bluffer.

They'll improve under Pellegrini.

I agree Pellegrini will improve them. I'm not sure he's a bluffer, though. If he is, he's certainly won a fair few titles with that p-p-poker face. He might not be the very top level of manager, but trophies with four different clubs suggests he's not a total fraud.

City wanted to avoid being like Chelsea. They wanted a stable club like United, but have fucked it by getting too big for their boots. They want European success, as if they're entitled to it by spending a few quid. That's not how it works, is it. I think it's a little harsh, even if Pellegrini is likely to improve them.

If it will improve them, they've made the right decision.

Mancini's managerial success was founded on Calciopoli and record-breaking spending. Personally, I don't think he's a particularly good manager (though he was a terrific player)...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If it will improve them, they've made the right decision.

Mancini's managerial success was founded on Calciopoli and record-breaking spending. Personally, I don't think he's a particularly good manager (though he was a terrific player)...

Fair enough, mate. You're entitled to your opinion. I think he's proven to be a decent manager. Winning trophies at Fiorentina, Lazio, Inter, and City isn't something to be sniffed at or dismissed, in my opinion.

As for improvement... that's just my guess. It could crash and burn spectacularly. It could even take a couple of seasons to build the team Pellegrini wants, as he'll have different ideas. There's so few clubs choosing to stick rather than twist, these days. Everton, Arsenal, United... I think they're the only three clubs with managers in their posts for over 10 years. Now it's only Wenger. In fact, in the entire football league of 92 teams, next season only Wenger, Pulis and Paul Tisdale of Exeter City will be in their positions for more than five seasons.

It just doesn't sit right with me. In general.

There isn't too much a manager can do when the whistle blows - it's fatuous to say that the loss to Wigan was Mancini's fault for example. A manager's job is to get the best out of his players, develop young talent and transplant in mature talent as and when needed. That's how and where you get judged. That appears to be where he's fallen short of requirements. Unless he can show that he can reverse that, then there is only one course open to the people running a club.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

From the owners of those clubs' perspective, I don't understand what gives them the right to expect instant gratifications. It's not like they've been winning year after year after year. Especially City, who have won one league in the last 40 years. They've spent a lot of money to catch up, but there's no replacement for time.