You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC Ultras

Bjornebye

Anything like the conga makes me cringe. It just comes across as really forced humour. It also reminds me of when we spanked Villa 5-0 at Anfield and them gimps were doing it up and down the steps whilst their side was being thoroughly embarrassed. Just to somehow prove what great fans they are when they are the most unoriginal boring cunts outside of London.

I hate this movement toward orchestrated behaviour that seems to be all the rage. Happy go lucky chirpy salt of the earth solid brummie citizens my arse. At the time the Kop were in full swing the Holte End were still supping bovril and waving rattles.

I'm generally opposed to people making noise and enjoying themselves at matches. It ruins my bad mood and I can't hear myself booing and calling our players shite. And the smoke blocks the view through my smartphone.

Should we stop waving flags, too?

What a dickish post.

Do flags spit out sparks like flares do? Do flags aggravate breathing difficulties like smoke cannisters do?

Do flags make the fans look like a shower of braindead nobheads like flares and smoke do?*

[*OK, if they've been handed out by the club beforehand, then obviously they do. But you get my drift.]

Flares/smoke canisters may look sound in atmospheric European grounds but they have never been a part of football fan culture in this country. It's a fad that all and sundry seem to have latched on to - kids from Liverpool to Manchester to Oxford - and it just doesn't work, as the odd smoke bomb/flare in a sterile British stadium looks shit.

Edited by Tony Manero

I've not been in one yet, but I like the flares on the telly and they look good from the youtube videos.

'Sit down'

'keep your voice down'

'my legs hurt'

'Where am I?'

Etc

I saw someone ask a steward at Anfield last weekend "Is there a shop I can buy a Liverpool top from round here at all?"

Flares/smoke canisters may look sound in atmospheric European grounds but they have never been a part of football fan culture in this country. It's a fad that all and sundry seem to have latched on to - kids from Liverpool to Manchester to Oxford - and it just doesn't work, as the odd smoke bomb/flare in a sterile British stadium looks shit.

Textbook answer. They're crap.

There is a lot of shite on twitter at the minute between reds fans about these flares and bangers going off at away games. I've only been one away this season (Reading) and to be fair I thought they were harmless? The smoke bombs shit me up when they went off but it was still funny.

Apparently a kid needed medical attention yesterday for smoke inhalation and some reds complained that they had the back of their clothes ruined by the flares? Not sure how true it is like but what do people think?

I know a few lads who go away with celtic and the green brigade are always letting off flares and stuff. Some hate it but some think it adds to the atmosphere.

Abroad we all know it is ten times worse than it's ever going to be here like especially in places like Turkey and ukraine.

Is it just scallys having a laugh or are they dickheads who are ruining it for others? Personally they don't bother me as long as people aren't getting hurt.

Oh and I also like the conga. I missed the one at reading because I was outside waiting for Stringy (who in-fact was in the conga and missed his pint)

I would say both, as I'm as struggling to distinguish between the two discriptions.

Guest davelfc

Like many things in life, it won't be a problem until someone is hurt. I think it's fucking wrong, if that's the only way some can see they can create an atmosphere then maybe this supporting malarkey isn't for them.

It's an excuse for childish irresponsible people to play with pyrotechnics and that never ends well.

Cant even unload 60 rounds from a AR-15 bushmaster into the air anymore from the annie road end because some member of the PC brigade will say 'ohh were afraid of the empty shells landing on our heads'.

You can't even throw a Vespa onto the pitch from the Upper Centenary these days without the PC brigade being up in arms.

I find the use of the term 'Ultras' embarrassing. It became the norm in the eighties for every European Club outside the UK to call a section of their terracing 'the ultras'. For the most part it was born out of 'admiration' and a desire to copycat the hooligan terrace culture over here which 'Ultras' always looked up to as the benchmark.

Now it's come full circle and it seems to be creeping into use even with us.

Ultras? Do me a fucking favour.