You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We can only attract players in the second tier of top stars - well behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern, United etc.

D'ya think? For me Aguero, Tevez, Toure, Kompany and David Silva are all top drawer and wouldn't be out of place at any of the giants you mention.

It's a loss for the league and we will probably never see another manager like him, my whole life watching football he has been managing them.

I've never hated him as some have and felt he has always shown Liverpool respect and recognised us as a big club while others tried to put us down.

Are you taking the piss :whatever: :wallbutt:

I'd say the major part of their influence over referees comes from the old cunt at the side of the pitch and their fear of him. With him not there that fear will be lessened. There'll be more pens against them and sendings off next season.

you watch, every time a ref has to make a big decision against them he will first scan the stadium looking for a glowing beetroot filling his mouth with phlegm.

just watch.

fuck all will change.

It's a loss for the league and we will probably never see another manager like him, my whole life watching football he has been managing them.

I've never hated him as some have and felt he has always shown Liverpool respect and recognised us as a big club while others tried to put us down.

As I say my whole time watching football he has been there manager and part of the dream of Liverpool winning the title was us being able to get one over on him, this will not happen now and this is why I'm kind of sad about him retireing, we never managed to get the league and stop him overtaking our record.

Hello Roy! Is it lonely being England manager?

I'm sorry but you are a fucking dick who can't stop moaning moaning moaning and fucking moaning about our manager. Just give it a fucking rest, wait and see what fucking happens and fucking stop the fucking moaning.

Difficult to disagree with this.

D'ya think? For me Aguero, Tevez, Toure, Kompany and David Silva are all top drawer and wouldn't be out of place at any of the giants you mention.

Tricky one that... Toure was outgoing. Tevez was outgoing. None of the top clubs wanted Kompany when we got him... Aguero maybe and Silva?... hmm maybe.

I still think though, that if it's City vs Real / Barca / Bayern etc City are way down the pecking order... unless they feel they'll be a regular for City, but not for one of those teams.

If one of those teams want a player to be the main man in a given position, City have no chance in my opinion.

I still think we are gamble to most players... less so that a couple of years ago, but we're not a sure fire 'will win something' team. You WILL win something with Bayern / Barca / Madrid and United (pre Moyes).

I am not sure Tevez or Aguero (and certainly not Dzeko) would be number 1 in their positions at those top clubs. Squad players, yes, but not stick on starters.

Perversely though, that could work in our favour too... someone like Cavani might think "I can push out one of City's strikers" but he might not think the same of ousting Messi or Ronaldo etc... that make sense?

Tricky one that... Toure was outgoing. Tevez was outgoing. None of the top clubs wanted Kompany when we got him... Aguero maybe and Silva?... hmm maybe.

I still think though, that if it's City vs Real / Barca / Bayern etc City are way down the pecking order... unless they feel they'll be a regular for City, but not for one of those teams.

If one of those teams want a player to be the main man in a given position, City have no chance in my opinion.

I still think we are gamble to most players... less so that a couple of years ago, but we're not a sure fire 'will win something' team. You WILL win something with Bayern / Barca / Madrid and United (pre Moyes).

I am not sure Tevez or Aguero (and certainly not Dzeko) would be number 1 in their positions at those top clubs. Squad players, yes, but not stick on starters.

Perversely though, that could work in our favour too... someone like Cavani might think "I can push out one of City's strikers" but he might not think the same of ousting Messi or Ronaldo etc... that make sense?

You need to change the manager. Mancini is too stubborn. Get someone in who will splash the cash on quality.

Big summer for you.

I'm gonna lay 100 quid on Chelsea come July if Mancini is still there.

You need to change the manager. Mancini is too stubborn. Get someone in who will splash the cash on quality.

Big summer for you.

I'm gonna lay 100 quid on Chelsea come July if Mancini is still there.

Rafa must be gutted he's not staying, nailed on for the league.

It's a loss for the league and we will probably never see another manager like him' date=' my whole life watching football he has been managing them.

As I say my whole time watching football he has been there manager and part of the dream of Liverpool winning the title was us being able to get one over on him, this will not happen now and this is why I'm kind of sad about him retireing, we never managed to get the league and stop him overtaking our record.[/quote']

Time for your hip operation Mr Ferguson.

Rafa must be gutted he's not staying, nailed on for the league.

Looks like it will all depend on City vs Chelsea summer buys, I think Chelsea will buy better, and need less.

That said, I thought Chelsea would have been red hot this season. If they'd got behind Rafa (not that I'm a fan of his), they'd have done much better.

FFP will hinder City, as will their ability to actually get the players they want.

Mancini bought 1 good buy (Nastasic) in 3 last year, plus 1 'gamble' (Rodwell). Regardless of who fucked up the negotiations with other players, Mancini MUST have said 'yes' to those players when he could have said "no, I'll keep the money and use it on someone next time round" (unless there was some FFP jiggery pokery that needed them to buy regardless)

Looks like it will all depend on City vs Chelsea summer buys, I think Chelsea will buy better, and need less.

That said, I thought Chelsea would have been red hot this season. If they'd got behind Rafa (not that I'm a fan of his), they'd have done much better.

FFP will hinder City, as will their ability to actually get the players they want.

Mancini bought 1 good buy (Nastasic) in 3 last year, plus 1 'gamble' (Rodwell). Regardless of who fucked up the negotiations with other players, Mancini MUST have said 'yes' to those players when he could have said "no, I'll keep the money and use it on someone next time round" (unless there was some FFP jiggery pokery that needed them to buy regardless)

There is also the fact that they've had the hapless Torres up front all season.

I think you slightly underestimate the pulling power of the astronomical wages you can offer any player, Champions League football and the opportunity to win the PL. All very desirable things for any up and coming talent.

Tevez of old or Aguero I could easily see leading the line for Barca or Real Madrid. They are the equal of Van Persie or Rooney, in my opinion, and similar to the likes of Higuain. I mean Tevez played for Man Utd so it kind of proves my point. Maybe Van Persie is a notch above but you know what I mean.

I don't think you're too far away from having a Messi or Ronaldo of your own. I know what you mean about the appeal of Barca, Real and Man Utd etc. but I think Man City has huge appeal of its own now for the great managers and players alike (just like the other super rich clubs in Europe hoovering up world class players).

'This is Anfield' was all about that in many ways. You were on hallowed ground, and you didn't want to be there... you were going to lose.

Ferguson made the players wear the blazers and tie... it was 'we are a cut above you' mentality all the time. 24/7. I think that gets to a lot of players, a lot of opposition fans and a lot of refs too (they're still human). All the little things make reffing at Old Trafford a 'big' deal. It'll put you on edge and it'll affect your judgment. It absolutely works for them.

As a ref, if you make an iffy decision in United's favour - it's forgotten about the next day, but if you make one against them, the United media team get to work. No ref wants to be seen as a dummy so they subconsciously get nervous about reffing United. That's my opinion anyway.

I have to disagree with that mate. What you're saying is true, teams were often psychologically beaten before they went out at Anfield, but refs were never put under pressure to give decisions by Liverpool managers the way they were at old Trafford by Ferguson. Ferguson is actively vindictive, there's many a tale of refs and linesmen being demoted or even booted out because he's gone after them with the authorities, even after the match had finished and gone. I've never seen Liverpool players gang up on and barrack a ref the way Keane and the rest infamously did that time.

I think you slightly underestimate the pulling power of the astronomical wages you can offer any player, Champions League football and the opportunity to win the PL. All very desirable things for any up and coming talent.

Tevez of old or Aguero I could easily see leading the line for Barca or Real Madrid. They are the equal of Van Persie or Rooney, in my opinion, and similar to the likes of Higuain. I mean Tevez played for Man Utd so it kind of proves my point. Maybe Van Persie is a notch above but you know what I mean.

I don't think you're too far away from having a Messi or Ronaldo of your own. I know what you mean about the appeal of Barca, Real and Man Utd etc. but I think Man City has huge appeal of its own now for the great managers and players alike (just like the other super rich clubs in Europe hoovering up world class players).

Well it's certainly all much better than it's ever been in our history that's for sure, with players much better than we've ever had (including all the former greats). Definitely more credible than 2-3 years ago, but still upstarts in the grand scheme of things.

Tevez is probably the best player we've ever had (attitude aside). Watching him week in week out, he's just a class apart (stuff you don't see on MOTD).

The money helps, no doubt about it, but (say) a player like Lewandoski can pretty much name his club, and it wouldn't be us. Same for Ronaldo et al. For all the great players we do have, we still lack what United have... the work ethic and never say die attitude. They're not quite the bunch of lazy arses some claim, but it's not at the level it needs to be to actually be a GREAT team... and that's down to Mancini plus the lack of a Gerrard / Keane / Viera type player in midfield bossing the game (Toure's not in the same league as that lot at their peak).

We'll see what happens in the summer... it's going to be a very good summer for drama I think, with the managerial changes and rehauls.

I wouldn't put it past City to put a bid in for Suarez (having failed to get Cavani), but as good as he is, we need a more physical striker.

Dzeko to Liverpool maybe?

I have to disagree with that mate. What you're saying is true, teams were often psychologically beaten before they went out at Anfield, but refs were never put under pressure to give decisions by Liverpool managers the way they were at old Trafford by Ferguson. Ferguson is actively vindictive, there's many a tale of refs and linesmen being demoted or even booted out because he's gone after them with the authorities, even after the match had finished and gone. I've never seen Liverpool players gang up on and barrack a ref the way Keane and the rest infamously did that time.

I didn't quite word that properly... I agree with you (with one exception) - I was more on about the 'aura' you can create and the influence that can have.

With United it's more than just the football aura though, that's what I was trying to say, it takes what 'this is Anfield' once was, and adds a sinister side to it.... to the point where peoples careers can be tainted by asking the wrong questions in a press conference or 'having a bad game' as a ref.

The only exception with everything you've said there would be (in my opinion) the Anfield crowd would shout for every possible penalty / handball... and whilst every other club would do the same, the atmosphere at Anfield was THE atmosphere of the time and thus had a greater effect then anywhere else. It swung a few things (and encouraged the team too of course). Definitely not the same as the United influence of the modern era though.

A lot of people are suggesting that Whiskeynose's judgement regarding Moyes' appointment cannot be questioned, but they need to realise that he spoke openly to the media about Villa going after McLeish and how good a manager he would be for them. This despite the turgid football and poor results with Birmingham before that. He also bigged up Mark McGhee in the 90s.

Going by his recommendations has generally only served to strengthen his own standing in the domestic game, because he has helped to populate a number of clubs with sycophants that are only too happy to stay on the lucrative managerial merry-go-round despite offering next to nothing to bettering the game in this country. That task has fallen to a number of foreign coaches who are treated with disdain for their efforts if they aren't part of the LMA clique.

He might be lauded in certain parts for how much he has helped other managers with their development, but I think it's fairer to say that he has played a bigger part in ensuring that their success is measured in financial teams and sticking close to him, rather than, you know, actually winning things.

Nervous anticipation I think... there's been a lot of false dawns in the past!

Strangely I think this could make thinks harder for the likes of City and Chelsea. I know it sounds daft, but if United start to drop form, it might open up the league a lot more, with clubs genuinely believing they have a better chance of the league.

Neither City nor Chelsea command the fear that United did / do, and so Arsenal / Liverpool / Spurs etc will all be spurred (pardon the pun) on by this. The pressure on City and Chelsea to take advantage of the situation will increase too...

All in all though, rather pleased. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel. It's still a way off, but it's there.

If Ferguson's such a good judge of football (which he has been so far), perhaps his retirement is another good judgment... he can see the end himself? I bloody hope so.

It's just not right that an entire generation of United fans are clueless about what it's actually like to be crap. Hopefully they'll start learning!

I admire your level headedness but I find it a bit perplexing that as a City fan you still do not consider yourself part of the Big league. And that after quite a few years and tons of cash. I believe you guys would have done a lot better with another manager (Mourinho, Pelligrini... even Rafa). I wonder if there is such a recognition among the majority of the fans over there.