You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hahahaha! Jim Whyte up his own arse on SSN. Better than comedy central!

Fuck why am I watching this, I've a telephone interview to do in 20 minutes!

The man is hyperventilating its embarrassing its like the Kennedy assassination, moon landing, Diana dying and 9/11 all rolled into one.

And fuck me what a prick Steve McClaren is....

Jim Whyte...."all the big names are queuing up to talk to sky news" no Jim they're not they're doing their press conferences and being asked about it.

United always come out smelling of roses. It will work and they will still have huge influence over refs and the FA. The only one thing I hope for is that other clubs facing them don't bow down to them anymore and give them a game, I reckon most titles the last few years have come from shit house managers accepting it as a loss before they even play and focus more on the game after.

That's what I'm banking on. Also you would think that the fear factor in coming to Old Toilet should be diluted somewhat now Bacon Face isn't there snarling on the sidelines as well.

I'd say the major part of their influence over referees comes from the old cunt at the side of the pitch and their fear of him. With him not there that fear will be lessened. There'll be more pens against them and sendings off next season.

Can't see this happening. The mancs practically are the FA. Sir will ensure that his little pet gets the friendliest refs, kind fixture schedules and any additional help he needs. Bet they don't have a tough league game until mid September. Where I think moyes will struggle is the Champions League.

As unthinkable as it sounds now, many questioned if Paisley had the credentials to take over from Shankly. The 'passing the baton' was a nice notion, but there were lots of doubts at the time. Nobody would be able to follow Shankly... but they were wrong.

I really do hope Moyes turns out to be a pale imitation. I can't say I find it funny just yet... that lot (United) have a habit of landing on their feet far too often!

Everything comes to an end, it;s the natural cycle. United have had their cycle and now it's a new moon.

Moyes can spot a player, no doubt. But can he rotate a squad and keep them happy? He;s got an inferiority complex and a half.

Which is why in royalty the new king is appointed when the old one is…… dead!

Ferguson isn't dead, he's abdicated and will hang around like the smell of piss on the first few rows of seats on a bus.

This is why they've done it this way, why he's staying around. Even with a new manager that has won the square root of fuck all you'll still be the second best club in that city.

Define best?

Only one club can be the best at any moment in time. By the measure you're likely to put forward, it's not us, and it's not you.

Does it matter? 99% of fans don't support the best club. There's no shame in supporting someone other than the best. I'm quite proud of not choosing the easy option!

Guest davelfc
Define best?

Only one club can be the best at any moment in time. By the measure you're likely to put forward, it's not us, and it's not you.

Does it matter? 99% of fans don't support the best club. There's no shame in supporting someone other than the best. I'm quite proud of not choosing the easy option!

As in second best, not knocking you, just not buying that the king is dead.

As unthinkable as it sounds now, many questioned if Paisley had the credentials to take over from Shankly. The 'passing the baton' was a nice notion, but there were lots of doubts at the time. Nobody would be able to follow Shankly... but they were wrong.

There is some news footage somewhere from the day Shanks announced his resignation. A reporter went onto the streets of Liverpool to break the news to various passers-by (this being 1974 so the first you'd know of it would be listening to the radio or on TV, then in the morning papers I suspect). The sense of shock and disbelief was quite palpable, particularly from one young red who honestly thought the reporter was lying to him. Despite today's rolling news, internet and social media allowing news to travel fast, I'd say the sense of shock amongst Manc supporters about Whiskeynose's retirement must be pretty similar. Most of them have never seen anybody else in charge so this really is a step into the unknown.

I really do hope Moyes turns out to be a pale imitation. I can't say I find it funny just yet... that lot (United) have a habit of landing on their feet far too often!

Agree with the bit about then landing on their feet all too often! That really needs to change. While I want to laugh at the appointment of Moyes, it's hard to know how things will pan out and it's not absolutely clear that he will fail. Moyes might have won absolutely nothing while at Everton, but then again, hiring somebody with no real track record can work out sometimes, as we've seen with Kenny in his first spell here, and also with Guardiola at Barcelona. Something like that happening at ManU, with their ability to land on their feet from almost any perceived setback, makes it hard to get too excited about this change.

What impact it will have on Everton is also hard to say, although it does seem a bit more certain that they will struggle. Despite how they've done over the past couple of years, they still have a squad in need of an overhaul, and even if they sell a few players, I doubt they'll have the money to do it effectively. If Martinez is offered and accepts the job, I can see him going for Callum McManaman and also getting that young Chilean striker on loan from the Mancs again.

Fast forward to 2019. Moyes is coming to the end of his first term as Man Utd manager. Having won all six Premier League titles in his first six years, together with two more European Cups to draw level with the Reds on 5, David enters fresh contract talks with supreme confidence. Just beforehand, he registers on TLW and bumps this thread.

Define best?

Only one club can be the best at any moment in time. By the measure you're likely to put forward' date=' it's not us, and it's not you.

Does it matter? 99% of fans don't support the best club. There's no shame in supporting someone other than the best. I'm quite proud of not choosing the easy option![/quote']

You should be made up mate.

Theyve appointed a manager whose team plays like Stoke and has won fuck all in 11 years.

Mancini is a genius compared to him.

You should be made up mate.

Theyve appointed a manager whose team plays like Stoke and has won fuck all in 11 years.

Mancini is a genius compared to him.

Nervous anticipation I think... there's been a lot of false dawns in the past!

Strangely I think this could make thinks harder for the likes of City and Chelsea. I know it sounds daft, but if United start to drop form, it might open up the league a lot more, with clubs genuinely believing they have a better chance of the league.

Neither City nor Chelsea command the fear that United did / do, and so Arsenal / Liverpool / Spurs etc will all be spurred (pardon the pun) on by this. The pressure on City and Chelsea to take advantage of the situation will increase too...

All in all though, rather pleased. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel. It's still a way off, but it's there.

If Ferguson's such a good judge of football (which he has been so far), perhaps his retirement is another good judgment... he can see the end himself? I bloody hope so.

It's just not right that an entire generation of United fans are clueless about what it's actually like to be crap. Hopefully they'll start learning!

Strangely I think this could make thinks harder for the likes of City and Chelsea. I know it sounds daft, but if United start to drop form, it might open up the league a lot more, with clubs genuinely believing they have a better chance of the league.

Neither City nor Chelsea command the fear that United did / do, and so Arsenal / Liverpool / Spurs etc will all be spurred (pardon the pun) on by this. The pressure on City and Chelsea to take advantage of the situation will increase too...

All in all though, rather pleased. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel. It's still a way off, but it's there.

If Ferguson's such a good judge of football (which he has been so far), perhaps his retirement is another good judgment... he can see the end himself? I bloody hope so.

It's just not right that an entire generation of United fans are clueless about what it's actually like to be crap. Hopefully they'll start learning!

So what's the latest from the Etihad? are you going to approach us with a mega offer for Rodgers? It was on according to some papers a few days ago.

Strangely I think this could make thinks harder for the likes of City and Chelsea. I know it sounds daft' date=' but if United start to drop form, it might open up the league a lot more, with clubs genuinely believing they have a better chance of the league.

It's just not right that an entire generation of United fans are clueless about what it's actually like to be crap. Hopefully they'll start learning![/quote']

I think Ferguson would have retired last year but your team saw to it he would stay and try to end on a high.

He has found out this season how poor his team were v the first decent European team they played and a future with the likes of Cleverley and Wellbeck has made him realise that enough is enough.

Imagine if your Arabs now took their money and ran. Your tunnel would collapse.

That would be funny.

I wasn't referring to 'our tunnel', just the tunnel for all other clubs.

Yeah, if our financial backers pulled out, we'd be in the shit... isn't that true for every club?

We were in the shit before - so we'll have had a season or two in the sun and enjoyed the ride. Better than never having it at all which is what we realistically faced for the last 40 years.

Careful what you wish for though about financial backers pulling out of clubs!

I don't normally post much on here but a couple of years ago I attended a sportsman's dinner and Dermot Gallagher was the guest speaker, after he had spoken, he was sat talking to a couple of people and I asked him why Utd always got the decisions in their favour at Old Trafford, he told me that he always hated reffing there because as soon as he entered the stadium until the second he left, Utd officials (Not Fergie and his coaching staff) were on his back all the time complaining about anything they could and trying to put pressure on him, he told me that's why it was always the more experienced refs that got Utd's home games, it did surprise me when he actually admitted something like that, but then again, he's been in one of the papers this week singing Fergie's praises so gopd knows what to believe.

So what's the latest from the Etihad? are you going to approach us with a mega offer for Rodgers? It was on according to some papers a few days ago.

Dzeko, Richards, Kolarov, Barry, Lescott out

Cavanni in (but that will take a lot of doing) - after that, no idea. There's not really an abundance of top players floating around, and of those that are, they are off to bigger clubs.

We need a leader in midfield (not many around), and we need some muscle upfront (Cavanni)

We can only attract players in the second tier of top stars - well behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern, United etc.

I predict a mighty fuckup next year... stuck in a battle to make top 4.

I don't normally post much on here but a couple of years ago I attended a sportsman's dinner and Dermot Gallagher was the guest speaker, after he had spoken, he was sat talking to a couple of people and I asked him why Utd always got the decisions in their favour at Old Trafford, he told me that he always hated reffing there because as soon as he entered the stadium until the second he left, Utd officials (Not Fergie and his coaching staff) were on his back all the time complaining about anything they could and trying to put pressure on him, he told me that's why it was always the more experienced refs that got Utd's home games, it did surprise me when he actually admitted something like that, but then again, he's been in one of the papers this week singing Fergie's praises so gopd knows what to believe.

'This is Anfield' was all about that in many ways. You were on hallowed ground, and you didn't want to be there... you were going to lose.

Ferguson made the players wear the blazers and tie... it was 'we are a cut above you' mentality all the time. 24/7. I think that gets to a lot of players, a lot of opposition fans and a lot of refs too (they're still human). All the little things make reffing at Old Trafford a 'big' deal. It'll put you on edge and it'll affect your judgment. It absolutely works for them.

As a ref, if you make an iffy decision in United's favour - it's forgotten about the next day, but if you make one against them, the United media team get to work. No ref wants to be seen as a dummy so they subconsciously get nervous about reffing United. That's my opinion anyway.

Of course, he's instilled a never say die attitude too - all credit to him for that, and once that starts working for you, the effect snowballs. You can see it time and time again when opposition teams are winning with 15 mins to go... they always KNOW United are going to score.... and thus is happens... then they know what comes after that... a United winner.

Even fans do it... "we know what's coming next" - the stadium gets nervous, the opposition go into panic mode, and bam... last minute winner!

Sick of it!

Indeed his nose bleeds last year were put down to too many short flights. A hip op is no big deal for a younger person but it will take a lot out of a man his age' date=' no wonder he's taking a back seat.

To go from his throne and his little empire that he has carefully built to being nobody, just some old piss head is not something he would enjoy. I mean nobody would enjoy it, retirement is for the average bloke on the street a big shock to the system.

I see it that Moyes will manage the sharp end, ferguson has been there long enough to be able to mentor his little puppet from a distance. Moyes has been happy to take a big salary and win fuck all for years so being trodden on is something he seems to have been bred for. I can't see any meltdown of the team, not unless Moyes grows a set of bollocks and I do not see that happening any time soon.

How people cannot see that this has a decent chance at working I do not know, sorry I lie, it's the same desperation and hope that drives people on to believe that Rodgers will ever be a success here. Of course I'm just shitting thoughts out of my head and I actually hope that it goes spectacularly bad for the mancs and really well for us.[/quote']

I'm sorry but you are a fucking dick who can't stop moaning moaning moaning and fucking moaning about our manager. Just give it a fucking rest, wait and see what fucking happens and fucking stop the fucking moaning.

It's a loss for the league and we will probably never see another manager like him, my whole life watching football he has been managing them.

I've never hated him as some have and felt he has always shown Liverpool respect and recognised us as a big club while others tried to put us down.

As I say my whole time watching football he has been there manager and part of the dream of Liverpool winning the title was us being able to get one over on him, this will not happen now and this is why I'm kind of sad about him retireing, we never managed to get the league and stop him overtaking our record.