You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nah, Ronaldo is coming back according to yahoo. They will win the league and finish at least 25 points above us next season.

Will they fuck.

Their results will be considerably weaker once mr. Ferguson is no longer their manager. Even more so if they actually go ahead and hire Gollum as his replacement.

This thread has been behaving bizarrely. I posted the above reply and it showed up on the front page as the last post of the thread. But when I opened the thread, it was not to be seen.

Posted it again (which was this post), but still no post to be seen in the thread. Once boomer posted, both showed up.

Edited by Captain

I am not sure anyone thought they would implode. Utd are well set up and the only way is a gradual decline through instability where one manager after another falls short of (fan/media/owner) expectations and leaves or is sacked. Even then, it won't be a marked decline. They'll be entrenched in the top four for the foreseeable future.

yep, thats for sure, just like in 1969 when busby retired.... doh....

Do you also think that will lose their influence to the referees? ha, no way. They will win the league again.

I'd say the major part of their influence over referees comes from the old cunt at the side of the pitch and their fear of him. With him not there that fear will be lessened. There'll be more pens against them and sendings off next season.

I can't do a screenshot, but that Utd facebook site have posted another welcome message to their new manager, this time, with a photo of Moyesey. Then deleted it.

Some intern is having a 'mare in their comms office.

I'd say the major part of their influence over referees comes from the old cunt at the side of the pitch and their fear of him. With him not there that fear will be lessened. There'll be more pens against them and sendings off next season.

This season Refs slaughtered Liverpool, Wigan, Chelsea, Arsenal in a row of games against United.

The strings are pulled behind the scenes. Ferguson is retiring as a manager but he will stay around.

They won't fall as easily as people believe. They have a whole system in place, a legacy on and off the pitch, in front and behind the scenes. They won't fall. Especially if they get Ronaldo back.

yep, thats for sure, just like in 1969 when busby retired.... doh....

Does the '39' in your handle represent the year you were born? Why do people do that? I thought only morons like Code72 did that.

Anyway, I take your point, though I wasn't around in 1969 so cannot say with any certainty what was behind their decline then. But it is definitely my view that they won't fall off a relegation cliff after Ferguson, but they will regress.

This season Refs slaughtered Liverpool, Wigan, Chelsea, Arsenal in a row of games against United.

The strings are pulled behind the scenes. Ferguson is retiring as a manager but he will stay around.

They won't fall as easily as people believe. They have a whole system in place, a legacy on and off the pitch, in front and behind the scenes. They won't fall. Especially if they get Ronaldo back.

I partly agree. That old cunt will still have some influence until he keels over and dies but refs not in fear of getting "the hairdryer" *spit* off that cunt at half time are going to be less afraid to give proper decisions.

Guest davelfc

One thing I had not considered until I read Dave's weekend premiership round up, was that bacon face is a hard act to follow. In cases like these it's much better to stand back and allow someone to let themselves be compared and mess it up and bear the huge weight of expectations.

Of course there are a few with an ego that would dive in but the clever ones will stand back and be ready to circle once the water gets bloody.

Obviously no one can possibly know but their dominance has been down to the reign of one man who will no longer be managing them on a day to day basis. All bets are off I'd suggest.

I agree. Plus Bob was with Shanks from day one and was steeped in the ethos of the club so the chances of it being a smoother transition was made easier. It's not the same in the Mancs case

Guest San Don

Hahahaha! Jim Whyte up his own arse on SSN. Better than comedy central!

Fuck why am I watching this, I've a telephone interview to do in 20 minutes!

So did Hitler.

Wouldn't be too far off the mark for Liverpool fans. Ferguson shot us off our perch but we're still hanging on albeit with one leg. Ferguson stayed on until 71 mainly to equal/ surpass our European record. But couldn't do it even with Van Persie. Age eventually caught up with him. Europa League summons with Moyes.

Once the king is dead, everything changes. People will be vying for position on and off the pitch, and even outside the club.

Whatever 'relationship' people had with United (including refs and journalists) will want to re-test the boundaries and hopefully adjust them in their favour a little.

Where once Ferguson would be in the refs face, it's now going to be Moyes, and a ref might just choose to challenge Moyes where he once feared to with Ferguson.

It might take a few years yet, with Ferguson's power and influence not disappearing overnight, but it will diminish.

Absolutely agree that Fergie wanted 3 European cups under his reign, and ideally, match the 5 Liverpool have, but given the odds against it, he can't really improve his record with FA cups or league wins... he's done it all.... his record can only end up going downwards if other clubs mount a more sustained challenge.

Nothing lasts forever. Not Liverpool's reign, not United's... we might never see reigns like that again... but if great managers have taught us anything, it's "never say never".

They had/have two options.

The nuclear option would have been Mourinho, who I believe would have been hugely successful bringing the CL back to OT, but who would have changed much behind the scenes ( for better or for worse).

Moyes is the safe option which has the attraction that the existing success momentum will continue- for a while. The problem lies a few seasons away. I don’t think that Man u are anywhere near winning the CL at the moment, and i don’t think that Moyes will change that.

Also Moyes is one Ferguson deems he can control or with whom he can still hold some influence, the power maniac that he is. Mourinho of course is a different animal. But the problem arises when Moyes wants to assert his authority which he should at some stage.

Guest davelfc
Once the king is dead, everything changes. People will be vying for position on and off the pitch, and even outside the club.

Which is why in royalty the new king is appointed when the old one is…… dead!

Ferguson isn't dead, he's abdicated and will hang around like the smell of piss on the first few rows of seats on a bus.

This is why they've done it this way, why he's staying around. Even with a new manager that has won the square root of fuck all you'll still be the second best club in that city.

Wow, 6 years! Has Alan Pardew been brought into negotiate the contracts?

There will be break clauses and some set formula for terminating it early in the small print which we wont ever get to see. The headline is 6 years which is meant to send the message that the club back him to the hilt and its about long term stabilty. Smart move and silences all the pundits that would have said he was only a stop-gap had it been 3 years.

Fact is he is on probation and if he fucks up badly he will be gone.

As every minute passes by, this gets more and more real, and more and more funny.

Imagine if Barcelona or Bayern Munich appointed David Moyes.

As unthinkable as it sounds now, many questioned if Paisley had the credentials to take over from Shankly. The 'passing the baton' was a nice notion, but there were lots of doubts at the time. Nobody would be able to follow Shankly... but they were wrong.

I really do hope Moyes turns out to be a pale imitation. I can't say I find it funny just yet... that lot (United) have a habit of landing on their feet far too often!

I was reminded of that story my mate told me about Clattenburg who attended a function and spoke about how Ferguson would always point out an error and mark a referee down deliberately to put pressure on for the next time they refereed, and he made a point to say that the next worst for doing so was ..... Moyes!

United always come out smelling of roses. It will work and they will still have huge influence over refs and the FA. The only one thing I hope for is that other clubs facing them don't bow down to them anymore and give them a game, I reckon most titles the last few years have come from shit house managers accepting it as a loss before they even play and focus more on the game after.

I was reminded of that story my mate told me about Clattenburg who attended a function and spoke about how Ferguson would always point out an error and mark a referee down deliberately to put pressure on for the next time they refereed, and he made a point to say that the next worst for doing so was ..... Moyes!

I am sure this this was major plus point at his interview !