You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I see the mood on here is a bit more reflectve today and the probablity that Utd will not implode is hitting home.

I am not sure anyone thought they would implode. Utd are well set up and the only way is a gradual decline through instability where one manager after another falls short of (fan/media/owner) expectations and leaves or is sacked. Even then, it won't be a marked decline. They'll be entrenched in the top four for the foreseeable future.

Guest davelfc
I don't think anyone really thinks they will implode, more that they simply will not be able to carry on the same consistent success that they have achieved over the last 15 - 20 years. I still expect them to win trophies and be at the top end of the table, but not at the same rate.

Which may be more down to city having that cash, FFP and the rise of foreign teams with rich owners than anything else. It's plain to see their dominance is fading and with some of their players getting on a bit it's not going to get any easier.

I still say Slur got out because he knew that the Scum can not compete in the markets anymore.. The Glaziers have seen to that

Nothing to do with the fact he is over 70 then and can leave having regained the title from the upstarts down the road. Oh and do the Glaziers really want to see their club decline by choking off funds for players. They weren't too shy about buying 29 year old RVP for 30 m a year ago which won them the title.

Nothing to do with the fact he is over 70 then and can leave having regained the title from the upstarts down the road. Oh and do the Glaziers really want to see their club decline by choking off funds for players. They weren't too shy about buying 29 year old RVP for 30 m a year ago which won them the title.

Different manager now.. One who it seems was told "here is your transfer kitty, that's all" and he accepted it without arguing he needed more

I see the mood on here is a bit more reflectve today and the probablity that Utd will not implode is hitting home.

I think its more to do with the fact that in reality - what does it matter?

We're so far away from competing that United as an entity could retire from English football and I couldn't give that much of a shit.

Guest davelfc

I wouldn't be surprised to see rooney back at everton in some kind of swap deal during the summer. Especially if moyes does get the job.

Seeing the term 'Manure' used as an oh-so-funny slight on 'Man United ' gives me such an immeasurable sad, I may just refuse to oil the hinge that's been squeaking recently, in a depressed protest. Shit got real.

Guest San Don
I wouldn't be surprised to see rooney back at everton in some kind of swap deal during the summer. Especially if moyes does get the job.

Wants to go to chelsea allegedly.

Guest davelfc
Wants to go to chelsea allegedly.

I'd like a range rover and a playboy model girlfriend, we have to accept what we can have. I can't imagine them wanting him. Unless terry needs help with the players mums.

They won't implode, but for all his issues, Ferguson achieved a lot. When you have someone that pivotal at the helm for over a quarter of a century, they'll miss him. It's likely to result in a negative impact (but not guaranteed).

But even a 10% dip in United's strength would be very welcomed by every other club.

Will the big names feel slightly less tempted to join them? I think they will.

Will other teams be bolstered by Ferguson's retirement? I think they will.

Will United be a bit more nervous? I think they will.

Will United players be more tempted to challenge a new manager than Ferguson? I think they will.

Will a 'blip' in results cause more panic than under Ferguson? I think they will.

All small things, but it's the small things that matter... and a fortress can be dismantled slowly, brick by brick.

I think Ferguson wanted to go out 'on top' and he knows it's getting harder and harder to guarantee that. I'm not sure United want to spend big every year, and trusted stalwarts of Giggs and Scholes really have had their day.

For all the talk of leaving the squad in fantastic shape, I'm having none of it. There's work to be done to keep United at the top and Moyes will have plenty on his plate.

Also, for all his love of United, Ferguson set out to prove HE could achieve. Nothing wrong with that, but it's about what HE's done. I just don't believe anybody who is that driven to win truly wants their successor to be every bit as good. Maybe it's just me who thinks that way, but I think he'd like United to miss him... and that happens when things aren't as good without him!

They won't implode

They had/have two options.

The nuclear option would have been Mourinho, who I believe would have been hugely successful bringing the CL back to OT, but who would have changed much behind the scenes ( for better or for worse).

Moyes is the safe option which has the attraction that the existing success momentum will continue- for a while. The problem lies a few seasons away. I don’t think that Man u are anywhere near winning the CL at the moment, and i don’t think that Moyes will change that.

Different manager now.. One who it seems was told "here is your transfer kitty, that's all" and he accepted it without arguing he needed more

Not sure where you got this idea of a "transfer kitty " from. You can bet your life their plans for the summer will have been made already ( by Slur ) and Moyes will have gone along with that . Why would you think he would want to argue against the plans of the most successful manager in history.

The mancs will not finish higher than 3rd next season and I can see them struggling for 4th.

People are really underestimating Fergusons ability to prepare his players for games if they think Moyes will be even close to get the same results as Ferguson, they will most likely finish with between 60-70 points under Moyes.

If all goes tits up not more than 60.

1432:

FOOTBALL

Manchester United appear to signal that David Moyes' appointment as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor is imminent.

The Old Trafford club put a entry on their Facebook page that says "Send your personal welcome to our new manager David Moyes".

_67494183_moyestweet_manchesterunited.png

1432:

FOOTBALL

Manchester United appear to signal that David Moyes' appointment as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor is imminent.

The Old Trafford club put a entry on their Facebook page that says "Send your personal welcome to our new manager David Moyes".

_67494183_moyestweet_manchesterunited.png

They had/have two options.

The nuclear option would have been Mourinho, who I believe would have been hugely successful bringing the CL back to OT, but who would have changed much behind the scenes ( for better or for worse).

Moyes is the safe option which has the attraction that the existing success momentum will continue- for a while. The problem lies a few seasons away. I don’t think that Man u are anywhere near winning the CL at the moment, and i don’t think that Moyes will change that.

The Mourinho option would have meant completely severing the umbilical cord to Ferguson which the club wouldn't have countenanced. It was never ever likely to win approval with the already unpopular Glaziers . The backlash of doing it against Fergusons wishes would have been very disruptive. The old fart will cast a very long shadow over OT for many years hopefully to their eventual detriment

The mancs will not finish higher than 3rd next season and I can see them struggling for 4th.

People are really underestimating Fergusons ability to prepare his players for games if they think Moyes will be even close to get the same results as Ferguson, they will most likely finish with between 60-70 points under Moyes.

If all goes tits up not more than 60.

I hope you are right, but considering he got 60-66 points out of Everton this season, it would be a huge failure if he couldnt get more out of Utd next season. Obviously taking over club expected to challenge for titles is a big difference and a different type of pressure will be on him especially following slurs footsteps.