You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest davelfc
Recipe for disaster. So I hope it pans out that way.

Well, yeah. But this is a thread about Utd, hence people discussing it.

Moyes isn't the best candidate in my view. They could do a lot better. But of course they will still be there or thereabouts. I don't think anyone is expecting relegation will soon follow his appointment.

Any manager appointed isn't generally considered the best manager by many people. If ferguson is looking for a puppet then he could do no worse than Moyes. I don't see much changing there, it's a nice distraction from our problems and that's about it.

Any top,manager wouldn't want the ghost of ferguson hanging around, that's why they selected Moyes. Instead of shouting at kids playing football in the street or tending to his roses or even arguing with people in the post office queue. Ferguson has a purpose to his life still, a willing ear and some control.

I fucking hope it all goes tits up but judging by how fucking weak Moyes is, well I see it working just fine for the twats.

All that matters regarding the events of yesterday is how much of an advantage we can take of it.

If Moyes (or whoever) goes there and it carries on we are no further off than now.

I feel there's bound to be some negative effect for them though, and it's how we react to that which will make a difference.

Our hierarchy should be putting plans in place NOW to take advantage of any wobble or stalling that happens at OT, you can bet Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc will be doing just that.

We can't just stand, watch and giggle at what's happening there.

Guest davelfc
So if Ferguson wants a puppet so he can control him and still effectively run the club on a day to day basis, why exactly is it he has retired?

I'm confused.

You being obtuse on purpose?

If I need to explain the whole retirement thing to you then maybe i'll leave it here.

It has, where?

It worked pretty well for us with Paisley hanging around.

You know fuck all, probably because you are a manc.

The last time United had a long term manager stick around after he left they ended up going down 6 years later.

So if Ferguson wants a puppet so he can control him and still effectively run the club on a day to day basis, why exactly is it he has retired?

I'm confused.

Me too, just a bit too conspiracy theory this. They are hedging their bets to an extent with Ferguson's directorship role providing the allusion of continuity for them. However I don't believe that Moyes is going to go in their and operate as a puppet for Ferguson. It's highly unlikely that Moyes will be receiving an email detailing the team sheet direct from the board of directors each week.

That's what makes this so delicious for everyone watching on. Moyes will attempt to stamp his authority and given that Moyes will be making the decisions it's highly likely that he'll fail.

By keeping whiskey nose around it will provide a focus for the media whenever anything goes wrong.

Everything about his departure this week suggests that this is a joint decision between the club and Ferguson rather than Ferguson simply deciding to retire on his own. No doubt he has an unhealthy influence over footballing decisions but don't think for one minute the Glazer's wouldn't show him the door if it was perceived to be in their long term interests.

History has shown that a just retired legendary manager still hanging about the place is anything but a smart move.

I am not sure that there is a precedent for this situation.

Man U is a massive business that has been built by Ferguson.He is to be a director, and ambassador. Neither roles impinge on the manager's job. His knowledge can be an asset as much as a hindrance.

Obviously the potential for interference is there, as is the potential for him to keep out of something he has chosen to leave.

My guess is this will work out for the immediate future. Moyes will make minimum waves, and will be a credible figure in the dressing room, having Ferguson to seek advice from should help, not hinder.

Beyond that, the future is uncertain.

Exactly.

He has more than enough other interests to keep him busy, family, horseracing and no doubt punditry ( where you never have a bad game).

I am not sure that there is a precedent for this situation.

Man U is a massive business that has been built by Ferguson.He is to be a director, and ambassador. Neither roles impinge on the manager's job. His knowledge can be an asset as much as a hindrance.

Obviously the potential for interference is there, as is the potential for him to keep out of something he has chosen to leave.

My guess is this will work out for the immediate future. Moyes will make minimum waves, and will be a credible figure in the dressing room, having Ferguson to seek advice from should help, not hinder.

Beyond that, the future is uncertain.

That's all perfectly reasonable as long as the boundaries are clearly defined and respected. It won't be an issue if everything goes well, the issue will be if Moyes starts to struggle both internally within the club and externally the focus may return to Ferguson. I'm assuming he'd have enough sense to keep out of it? By making a clean break and giving him at most an ambassadorial role it wouldn't be quite the issue.

However before Moyes has even formerly accepted the role a perception of Ferguson still being involved offering guidance to Moyes has been floated. They've already experienced the consequences of a former manager playing too big a role within the club post his departure. Busby didn't even give up his office.

It wouldn't surprise me if this all unraveled rather quicker than we expect.

Can't see this as a disaster for the Manc's but I don't see it as a long term success either. To say he has massive shoes to fill is an understatement and more likely than not he'll last a couple of years before being moved on.

I'm confused.

It´s a different thing to control things from the office, than to travel all over the world with your team, especially if you are over 70 years old. But he is a control freak, so he can´t just retire and let Moyes do what he wants, I´m sure of that.

Guest davelfc
It´s a different thing to control things from the office, than to travel all over the world with your team, especially if you are over 70 years old. But he is a control freak, so he can´t just retire and let Moyes do what he wants, I´m sure of that.

Indeed his nose bleeds last year were put down to too many short flights. A hip op is no big deal for a younger person but it will take a lot out of a man his age, no wonder he's taking a back seat.

To go from his throne and his little empire that he has carefully built to being nobody, just some old piss head is not something he would enjoy. I mean nobody would enjoy it, retirement is for the average bloke on the street a big shock to the system.

I see it that Moyes will manage the sharp end, ferguson has been there long enough to be able to mentor his little puppet from a distance. Moyes has been happy to take a big salary and win fuck all for years so being trodden on is something he seems to have been bred for. I can't see any meltdown of the team, not unless Moyes grows a set of bollocks and I do not see that happening any time soon.

How people cannot see that this has a decent chance at working I do not know, sorry I lie, it's the same desperation and hope that drives people on to believe that Rodgers will ever be a success here. Of course I'm just shitting thoughts out of my head and I actually hope that it goes spectacularly bad for the mancs and really well for us.

Guest San Don

I know we all hope and want this to be the end of the evil empire. Who wouldnt want to see the end of a predominantly massive club throwing its weight around and starting a slow (ok, quick) decline?

We only need look to 1974 to vision what could happen. While there was no dominant team or club about back then, Shankly's decision to retire caused ripples through football.

A total unknown to most people was persuaded to take over the running of LFC. No one, even the staunchest of fans knew how it would work out. As it happened, appointing him was a masterstroke and he took the club to new heights. When he stepped down, another relatively unknown, Joe Fagan took over for a couple of years.

Despite these changes, there was no decline. We all laugh at gollum, no more so than me. I think he's shit but, with the backing of a club like manchester united behind him, he'd have to be really shit to bring that particular 'empire' down.

So he's got ferguson behind him pulling the strings? Didnt do the King any harm when he had Paisley in the background to help albeit at a lesser degree.

I hope gollum shits it up, I really do. But, how many years have people been saying this is the end of united's dominance only for it not to be? Hopefully, they wont be the force they were but, I think its highly improbable they'll implode either.

I know we all hope and want this to be the end of the evil empire. Who wouldnt want to see the end of a predominantly massive club throwing its weight around and starting a slow (ok, quick) decline?

We only need look to 1974 to vision what could happen. While there was no dominant team or club about back then, Shankly's decision to retire caused ripples through football.

A total unknown to most people was persuaded to take over the running of LFC. No one, even the staunchest of fans knew how it would work out. As it happened, appointing him was a masterstroke and he took the club to new heights. When he stepped down, another relatively unknown, Joe Fagan took over for a couple of years.

Despite these changes, there was no decline. We all laugh at gollum, no more so than me. I think he's shit but, with the backing of a club like manchester united behind him, he'd have to be really shit to bring that particular 'empire' down.

So he's got ferguson behind him pulling the strings? Didnt do the King any harm when he had Paisley in the background to help albeit at a lesser degree.

I hope gollum shits it up, I really do. But, how many years have people been saying this is the end of united's dominance only for it not to be? Hopefully, they wont be the force they were but, I think its highly improbable they'll implode either.

Obviously no one can possibly know but their dominance has been down to the reign of one man who will no longer be managing them on a day to day basis. All bets are off I'd suggest.

Obviously no one can possibly know but their dominance has been down to the reign of one man who will no longer be managing them on a day to day basis. All bets are off I'd suggest.

And they obviously won't collapse overnight. But they will collapse.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

I see the mood on here is a bit more reflectve today and the probablity that Utd will not implode is hitting home. Replacing Slur is an impossible task and not something they want to do out of choice. Whoever they chose would be a risk . Moyes may well turn out to be OK and the least worst option, certainly in the short-term. How he fares a few years down the line building a new team with Ferguson properly out of the way is the question in my mind. He could step up a few gears but I wouldnt be surprised if they go looking for a replacement . I don't see him being easily able to control and get the best out of top players in anything like the way Slur does. No player however much of a star he might be stands up successfully to him and I just can't see Moyes having the gravitas to do the same.

I don't think anyone really thinks they will implode, more that they simply will not be able to carry on the same consistent success that they have achieved over the last 15 - 20 years. I still expect them to win trophies and be at the top end of the table, but not at the same rate.