You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don
It's not a similar strategy at all.

When we bought Carroll we didn't Downing to negotiate with.

Saying that, we'd have had to offer £45 million and Downing for Carroll because Downing is fucking shit.

I think it is. Club turns down an offer, keep doubling it and chuck in 'unwanted' players until selling club says 'ok.'

No, the way we need to go about it is decide what's going to be the range you're prepared to pay. Offer the low end as an opening bid or cut to the chase and go in with a once only max bid, tell the selling club how it is. If they dont want to negotiate a bit, look for another target.

Keep on going back with higher bids all the time has seen us sign the likes of babb, scales, carroll, downing and others way over their true value.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an awkward one. I am totally with Jonny Cougar that would love Pepe to stay, but the problem comes if he says to the club that he has done 8 years abroad now & would like to take his family back home. If this is the case you can obviously keep him but then worry about his motivation.

Hopefully he will come out strongly for staying & it isn't an issue.

I think people are forgetting the human side to this.

Reina is Spanish, has a Spanish wife, and last time I checked lives abroad. Has anybody ever stopped to think that perhaps he wants to raise his kids in Spain. It's hardly a fanciful concept is it.

If he wants to go, I'd let him leave, he's done us a great service and imo owes us very little.

I think people are forgetting the human side to this.

Reina is Spanish, has a Spanish wife, and last time I checked lives abroad. Has anybody ever stopped to think that perhaps he wants to raise his kids in Spain. It's hardly a fanciful concept is it.

If he wants to go, I'd let him leave, he's done us a great service and imo owes us very little.

Agreed. He was been legendary for us, played for years in a position where we have been found wanting many years.

He is a leader and it will be sad to see him go, but if he wants to leave then we should respect his wishes.

If Barcelona want Reina, and he wants to go there, I'd sell him. Little point in keeping players who would rather be elsewhere. Get as much money as possible, and buy someone who wants to play for us.

According to your shit logic, I'm pretty sure the next person, whoever the fuck is that, who will come to replace Reina, deep inside him he'd probably prefer to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona. So maybe we should not buy anyone and just keep the position empty, since everyone wants to play for the two top Spanish clubs.

In fact, all of the premier league players want to play for Barcelona. Maybe they should stop the whole league because the players want to play elsewhere.

People get to sentimental over players, clouds their judgment, and very few are worth getting sentimental over anyway.

The reality is Reina has been average/poor and hasn't looked interested for a long time so im ok with him going as long as we buy proven quality to replace him, it is out there no matter what cliches you hear about replacing goalkeepers.

What the poster said earlier about Reinas improvement in form since Valdes said he was off is spot on i reckon.

People get to sentimental over players, clouds their judgment, and very few are worth getting sentimental over anyway.

The reality is Reina has been average/poor and hasn't looked interested for a long time so im ok with him going as long as we buy proven quality to replace him, it is out there no matter what cliches you hear about replacing goalkeepers.

What the poster said earlier about Reinas improvement in form since Valdes said he was off is spot on i reckon.

I've never thought of it before, but now you have.....

If the players were on £20,000 a week then I'd be more arsed about them, but they're on six figures in many cases and to ever say that they 'don't owe the club anything' is bullshit unless they've put in 100% every game and training session.

In Pepe's case, he owes us two seasons of wages.

It'll be really odd to see him in another team jersey, but you know what, I'll get over it really, really quickly.

According to your shit logic' date=' I'm pretty sure the next person, whoever the fuck is that, who will come to replace Reina, deep inside him he'd probably prefer to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona. So maybe we should not buy anyone and just keep the position empty, since everyone wants to play for the two top Spanish clubs.

In fact, all of the premier league players want to play for Barcelona. Maybe they should stop the whole league because the players want to play elsewhere.[/quote']

You're hysterical

If the players were on £20' date='000 a week then I'd be more arsed about them, but they're on six figures in many cases and to ever say that they 'don't owe the club anything' is bullshit unless they've put in 100% every game and training session.

In Pepe's case, he owes us two seasons of wages.

It'll be really odd to see him in another team jersey, but you know what, I'll get over it really, really quickly.[/quote']

Even that amount is nuts mate.

I agree about his form seeming to pick up when the Barca talk started. I totally disagree about it being not that hard replacing a keeper as it is extremely difficult to do. The chances of finding a keeper good enough to step straight in is nigh on impossible. It normally takes a while for a keeper to settle and by then the teams season is over.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I agree about his form seeming to pick up when the Barca talk started. I totally disagree about it being not that hard replacing a keeper as it is extremely difficult to do. The chances of finding a keeper good enough to step straight in is nigh on impossible. It normally takes a while for a keeper to settle and by then the teams season is over.

Reina settled pretty much straight away. It's all about the quality of the keeper we get. We happen to be lucky at the moment, as there are quite a few good keepers around.

Guest San Don
It's an awkward one. I am totally with Jonny Cougar that would love Pepe to stay, but the problem comes if he says to the club that he has done 8 years abroad now & would like to take his family back home. If this is the case you can obviously keep him but then worry about his motivation.

Hopefully he will come out strongly for staying & it isn't an issue.

Pretty much how I see it, Sir Rog.

If he wants to leave, its going to be hard to make him stay and be motivated. All the more reason if barcelona or anyone else wants to tempt him, they pay up.