You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well if 3 years left on a contract doesnt put you in a good bargaining position, I dont know what will.

So say the player wants to move, he moves on our terms with a 3 year deal as back up. Barcelona want the same player? With a 3 year deal behind us, they pay up or fuck off.

Its really not hard. Ferguson told clubs he didnt want his players going to, to fuck off (including us). it just takes a bit of bottle. Cave in at the first opportunity and dont be surprised when you do get arse raped (metaphorically speaking, of course).

If reina wants to go, they club should set the fee at £18m - £20m. If barcelona want to buy him, they need to offer at least £18m.

i imagine the conflict to that is the club wanting to move him on with the wages he is on and no real intention on keeping him.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Saving wages is all and good but is there any evidence that the saving have been ploughed back into the transfer fund and signings?

Well, savings are built up over time. We will only see the benefit in future transfers. 160m in a couple of seasons tells me they're not shy in spending money.

Well, savings are built up over time. We will only see the benefit in future transfers. 160m in a couple of seasons tells me they're not shy in spending money.

I'll leave the accountants on here to work out whther 160 million is accurate or not.

We removed quite a few high earners off the wage bill last summer so the savings should have already been made already.

Who cares about Reina's wages?

We are already under the FFP recommended wages levels. Also we are losing Carragher's wages this summer.

If Reina leaves it should only because he wants to do so and even then Barca should have to match our fee, which should be 18 million+.

Hopefully he wants to stay and he does as there are not many around better than him.

Is Tim Howard better than Pepe?

And The arsenal keepers?

It's just that they're finishing above us with worse keepers, sort of confused me.

Get rid of Reina then. We won't get that much for him. Whoever we do will be a step down but no problem because Everton / Arsenal finished above us this year. Also notwithstanding we need strength in other areas.

Can't argue with logic, I won't even try.

Guest San Don
Use Carra's wages and Pepe's transfer and wages and go get Ter Stegen.

If that doesn't work, double our bid and offer them Downing.

Isnt that strategy how we ended up paying £35m for Carroll though?

Guest San Don
Get rid of Reina then. We won't get that much for him. Whoever we do will be a step down but no problem because Everton / Arsenal finished above us this year. Also notwithstanding we need strength in other areas.

Can't argue with logic, I won't even try.

I dont know why people think we wont or shouldnt get a big fee for Reina. He's got 3 years left on his deal. He's 30 and entering his best 5 or 6 years as a keeper. He's a Spanish International. He's wanted by barcelona, allegedly. That, all despite his substandard form in the last two seasons when he did have a 20m release clause.

Talk of getting £8m - £10m for him is ludicrous imo.

In my view, you only change your Keeper when absolutely necessary and when you have a better option either lined up or in situ. I know we haven't got one in situ, I don't know IF we have a better option lined up, but on the evidence of the last few seasons where we have gone about 'replacing' key players, Reina should stay.

In situ is the main reason for replacing a Keeper and Jones or any other at the club aren't good enough, so unless it's a silly offer, like 18m, we should think long and hard about changing.

Just my view.

The transition should be seamless for me. I can't see it being seamless, so we should pull a big mooney at Barca and keep Pepe until they match our valuation.

I know fuck all about European Keepers to be fair, but what I do know is that any replacement will be a much bigger risk than keeping Pepe.

He's got 3 years left on his deal. He's 30 and entering his best 5 or 6 years as a keeper. He's a Spanish International. He's wanted by barcelona, allegedly.

These are all great reasons to keep him, unless you are a mid-table mediocrity run by an incompetent bunch. Then yeah, you can fabricate some reasons and sell him.

Isnt that strategy how we ended up paying £35m for Carroll though?

It's not a similar strategy at all.

When we bought Carroll we didn't Downing to negotiate with.

Saying that, we'd have had to offer £45 million and Downing for Carroll because Downing is fucking shit.

I think we'll sign Vorm and McCarthy if he goes.

Please God no. Lets not be signing a flavour of the month goalkeeper who's had a couple of good games here and there. It'll be like Chris Kirkland/Scott Carson all over again.:(

In my view, you only change your Keeper when absolutely necessary and when you have a better option either lined up or in situ. I know we haven't got one in situ, I don't know IF we have a better option lined up, but on the evidence of the last few seasons where we have gone about 'replacing' key players, Reina should stay.

In situ is the main reason for replacing a Keeper and Jones or any other at the club aren't good enough, so unless it's a silly offer, like 18m, we should think long and hard about changing.

Just my view.

The transition should be seamless for me. I can't see it being seamless, so we should pull a big mooney at Barca and keep Pepe until they match our valuation.

I know fuck all about European Keepers to be fair, but what I do know is that any replacement will be a much bigger risk than keeping Pepe.

This.

All of this.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This.

If not him maybe Begovic from Stoke.

There is half a dozen quality keepers in Germany alone. I do like Begovic' date=' though

[YouTube']WdtnupyjGGo[/YouTube]

He has 3 years left on his contract here.

Barca are offering 2 years, to tide them over until they find a younger heir.

Pepe would have to look at the fact that at 32, he would be moving on again in 2 years time.

Plus Barca could get a younger heir now who is currently playing in Monchengladbach.

He has 3 years left on his contract here.

Barca are offering 2 years, to tide them over until they find a younger heir.

Pepe would have to look at the fact that at 32, he would be moving on again in 2 years time.

Plus Barca could get a younger heir now who is currently playing in Monchengladbach.

In those two years he'd pick up medals, and Barca would probably try to keep him on anyway, just not as an automatic first choice. He's Spanish, already knows the club and the key players well and isn't an ego ; he's exactly the kind of figure they'd want around.

Please God no. Lets not be signing a flavour of the month goalkeeper who's had a couple of good games here and there. It'll be like Chris Kirkland/Scott Carson all over again.:(

Not being funny, but no it won't.