You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers: Pepe's future is here

Pepe Reina's future lies in Liverpool - that was the unequivocal message from Brendan Rodgers during his pre-Fulham press conference on Friday afternoon.

The boss was quizzed by journalists on newspaper gossip about possible interest in the Spanish custodian.

Rodgers said: "It's that silly season now that starts up all the rumours and whatnot but Pepe's not for sale.

"He's got three years left on his contract here' date=' he's happy and obviously there's speculation but it's not worth commenting on."

Rodgers: Pepes future is here - Liverpool FC

Rodgers making sure we get top dollar for him or will he stay? It looks like there might be a few ahead of him out the door so can't see him going this summer unless we actually want to sell him ie. get a stupid fee for him/find someone the manager feels is better than him. I don't see either of those happening. If Barca do come calling would he put in a transfer request and force a move?

I hope this is correct. I dont think we could replace him at the moment.

I think some fans are far to blazay with the possible sale of Pepe as if good keepers grow on trees. Look at Manu or Arsenal for evidence that this most certainly isn't the case.

By the same token, we've not had a boss keeper for the last couple of years, with the last couple of months an exception, so having an average keeper wouldn't be a shock to us.

Guest San Don

What surprises me is people were up in arms that a £20m release clause was supposedly written into a previous contract when his form had been poor for at least a season.

Now, a number of people seem to be accepting he will go at the end of the season with the talk coming from barcelona that they are looking to pay £10m tops for him. You hear stuff coming out of Liverpool that due to his £110k a week wage, he'll be 'allowed' to go too, allegedly.

It doesn't happen often, but I agree with Funneee here. Reina for whatever reasons has not been on top of his game for a good few years. We've seen improved performances from him lately, but the odd worldie notwithstanding, he's still some way from his best.

It will be sad to see him go, as he is one of the few strong characters in the team, but he's not irreplaceable, and if he wants to go back to Spain, he'll go with my best wishes. For which I know he'll be eternally grateful.

It says a lot that people want Reina to stay more for his off field contribution than anything else. Losing both him and Carragher in the same summer would leave us with few obvious leaders in the dressing room, as well as lowering the average age of the side quite a bit. He is still a good 'keeper as well of course, but certainly not irreplaceable in that regard.

If he does go we will need to bring in someone with a bit of character and presence, as well as goalkeeping ability.

So much wrong with this post.

Go on then.

I was being mischievous but the last time Barcelona decided they just wanted a player of ours we got half of the transfer fee we should have, now they decide they want Reina for 10m? And we just let it happen? So next summer they decide they want Suarez for 20m - do we just let that happen too?

Its time we told Barcelona to fuck off.

Its time we told Barcelona to fuck off.

It'd be futile, we all saw what happened with Mascherano when we said he couldn't leave at first.

The players should be telling Barca to fuck off, not us. Players always get their way, if they want out then that's when the upper hand goes to Barca, and that's when we accept the derisory offer on the table, just to put an end to it.

I do think we miss a trick though in terms of writing player contracts. Nothing will change in terms of Barca and Real being powerhouses, and you can add Bayern and United to that as well, so how about something is written into contracts with specific reference to those clubs perhaps only being able to buy that player if they meet an advanced release clause amount?

Or maybe, in the contract, that it is stipulated that any sale to any of those four clubs means that we receive 50% of his next transfer fee?

Dunno, it just seems wrong that those four can operate in the way they do, make the money they make, and still nick players off clubs for way below market value because the player WANTS to leave and would be unhappy if he stayed, and so they deliberately start the bidding low.

It doesn't happen often, but I agree with Funneee here. Reina for whatever reasons has not been on top of his game for a good few years. We've seen improved performances from him lately, but the odd worldie notwithstanding, he's still some way from his best.

He's been back to his best in 2013.

Reina at his best is one of the best keepers around.

I think we'd be crazy to sell him.

I want Reina to stay because he's a very good goalkeeper.

This.

There's going to be enough change in our back 4 as it is, without changing the goalkeeper as well. I really am not looking forward to yet another poor start to a season with everyone blaming the "settling in" period for 3 new players in our starting back 5.

Reina is very good. He may not be worth 5 million/year, but unless we can somehow convince Chelsea to sell us Courtois (or find someone on that level) to replace him, it's a downgrade, and that's just what we don't need right now.

Meh. He's been disinterested for the best part of two years, only picking up his form when it was clear Valdes was leaving Barca.

Torres did the same; and I'm fucked if I can be arsed giving a shit about players who don't care.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I love Pepe, he has been a quality keeper for us and has been here 7 years. It's just that he hasn't been that good for a long time. A couple of decent months, as Ted said, doesn't entirely convince me. Not when he has been picking up £5,252,000 a year.

Some have said that unless we get the best talent available, it'll be a downgrade. Maybe on Pepe of 2007, but not anymore. Not over the last couple of years where he could barely save a shot. If he wants to go to Barca, then we should get as much as we can and put it into one of the many solid keepers around.

Big shame he's leaving but I'd wish him all the best. He's given us superb commitment as a World class goalkeeper and if a team like Barca come calling at this stage then its hard to say no, time isn't on his side to stick around in the hope we'll win the big trophies with us.

The best goalkeeper I've seen for us.

I love Pepe, he has been a quality keeper for us and has been here 7 years. It's just that he hasn't been that good for a long time. A couple of decent months, as Ted said, doesn't entirely convince me. Not when he has been picking up £5,252,000 a year.

Some have said that unless we get the best talent available, it'll be a downgrade. Maybe on Pepe of 2007, but not anymore. Not over the last couple of years where he could barely save a shot. If he wants to go to Barca, then we should get as much as we can and put it into one of the many solid keepers around.

8 years.

Seems mental Barcelona want him and we're wondering if he's good enough for us.

Only the mental's are doing this.

Us normal people realise the size of the hole this causes.

As Ted pointed out above - the question over his mentality has raised concerns and if his upturn in form is a direct result of Barcelona's interest - then its disappointing, but trying to replace a player who has by large, been really good for us - is going to be a giant effort. One i'm not sure we will get right. Again.

*Sigh*

we should be telling him he is staying, end of chat.

we have other areas far more important than worrying about buying and bedding in a new keeper as well.

fuck off barca. give us valdes and messi and we will let you have him. and you can have downing as well.