You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Struggling to pay rent

Adebisi

Basically me and my lass are in arrears, it's only a 1000 and the lanlord has been very understanding but it's starting to become a bit of a stress and cause of arguments between us.

What's the best plan of action for us? She's lost her job a few weeks ago and I'm a full time student so neither of us are eligible for any loan we've found. It seems like whenever we do have money it needs to go towards essentials like gas and electric and the rent doesn't get paid again.

She doesn't get on with her family and wouldn't dream of asking them for money. My mum helps when she can but she's recently retired. Seems so silly stressing over a relatively low amount but we find ourselves arguing anyway.

I've read about the CAB offering advice but "talk to your landlord" is no good, I have, I need pointing in the direction of someone who will sort me out with some money, not a "budgeting" chat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pimp your bitch out. If she won't play ball, pimp yourself out. Plenty of lube, you'll be fine.

Seriously though, don't start borrowing to pay debts. Slippery slope that one. Are you able to move back in with your mum as a temporary measure? Or is there room at your place for a mate to move in and help with paying the bills?

I repeat, DO NOT start borrowing to pay debts.

Guest ShoePiss

You're only about a month away from the end of year aren't you? Work over the summer to pay it off, assuming the landlord is willing.

If you're a student and your missus is signing on you should definitely be eligible for housing benefit (and council tax benefit too). Check your local councils website - you might be able to claim online, if not get down to your town hall/housing office and begin a claim there. It's not a quick fix as it'll take some time, but if you tell your landlord then he might be prepared to wait.

As above, DON'T GET A LOAN TO PAY IT OFF!

I've read about the CAB offering advice but "talk to your landlord" is no good, I have, I need pointing in the direction of someone who will sort me out with some money, not a "budgeting" chat

So, when you spoke to your landlord what did they say? And why not go to CAB, this us what they do and you're feeling out of your depth. Maybe they could negotiate on your behalf

Student? Can you not find cheap student digs?

Just a quick one- was this the bird you where only staying with cause you didn't want to see her on her arse as you just moved in with each other? If it is- silver linings and all that.

Either way your a student so we will end up paying for you.close your bank account down and do a runner in the middle of the night, its the only thing left.

Murder the landlord and eat the corpse. This will give you rent-free accommodation for a while and some free food.

If it goes wrong and you get caught...you'll still get rent-free accommodation and some free food!

Win/win!

I went to the CAB as I was in town anyway and it was as I feared "try this number, they have good advice for people in your situation" not exactly what I wanted to hear but suppose I was foolish to expect them to put me in touch with anyone who would actually lend me the coin.

The lass is currency in the process of applying for the benefits but was told they could take time which is why I was thinking of a loan because can just see us owning more and more until she gets them sorted.

Spoke to a mate today who is still in the dole age and he mentioned they offer "budgeting loans" said he'd take one out if I was that desperate and I just pay him £50 a month until it's sorted. Only thing is he reckons they won't even give him half of that so it still means stumping up at least another £500.

Student? Can you not find cheap student digs?

Just a quick one- was this the bird you where only staying with cause you didn't want to see her on her arse as you just moved in with each other? If it is- silver linings and all that.

Either way your a student so we will end up paying for you.close your bank account down and do a runner in the middle of the night, its the only thing left.

Aye this is the same girl. Spent sometime apart and realised the good times were more than worth the arguments. She's class, just gets stressed easily and takes it out on me.