You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, how would you react  

187 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would you react

• I'd defo sing derogatory things; no different to Steve Bruce's massive head, its something to target
    • I'd like to think i wouldnt sing, but if the song was funny i'd probably join in
    • It would depend who it was - if it was a blue or a manc i'd join in
    • I'm really not arsed at all about people sexual orientation but would expect others to sing
    • I'd be abhorred if people sang about someone being gay
    • Other - state your feelings

See my first post.

I can abuse Terry and Shrek all I want because both are cunts and are fair game.

I have plenty to take the piss out of them about. Who they want to shag behind closed doors is their business and sleeping with men isn't what would make them cunts.

Surely you can see that?

If it 'came out' that rooney was bumming nani you seriously saying you wouldn't take the piss? It'd be fucking hilarious.

If it 'came out' that rooney was bumming nani you seriously saying you wouldn't take the piss? It'd be fucking hilarious.

What is there to take the piss about? As Colin says there are other things to take the piss out of them for, if that's the way you roll. Me, I'm more interested in supporting my own team than slagging off the opposition unless they've done something to harm us

Perhaps if the two of them decided to get married in a civil ceremony in the penalty box at the Stretford end with Ferguson as the celebrant before a Liverpool game, that might be slightly mirthful.

Otherwise, nothing "fucking hilarious" about it for me.

Yeah, if you are 12.

I think it would be even less 'hilarious' for 12 year olds who have grown up in a much more accepting world

I would be horrified. This faux racism soap opera is intolerable and if journalists had a new angle to prove how they're the most noble and virtuous men since the apostles, it would be painful. Every boo, every tackle, every comment would be proof that football fans are these terrible people and that the football community has deep rooted, institutional homophobia problems. Christ, I can see it now.

A least Oliver Holt would have something else to write about instead of pretending he's the modern day William Wilberforce.

Can you imagine if Suarez came out...

I wonder how they would play that one. My money would be on them pretending they hadn't been vilifying him for the last two years and hoping nobody notices, or lying whenever it's brought up, and then condemning all the anti-racism groups for their obviously veiled homophobia, before posing vexing questions about how deep the problem goes and whether the under 16s are also bigots and so on. It would be a tricky tightrope to walk, lest they be accused of racism or indeed earn the wrath of Ferguson, but if anybody could pull of such a level of deceit it would be the British press.

I couldn't take the piss....

Don't know why. It seems ok to mock weight, or an affair etc etc, but something inside me says "no, don't take the piss 'cos he's gay".

Hypocritical or at least inconsistent, but it's a line in the sand for me... maybe because (in theory) it's not like they have a choice.

I wouldn't take the piss out of their family / kids either. I have code of conduct of some sort.

I'd expect plenty would have a dig, but I think the majority would hold back... the world's moved on (at least I think it has).

Don't know why. It seems ok to mock weight, or an affair etc etc, but something inside me says "no, don't take the piss 'cos he's gay".

Hypocritical or at least inconsistent, but it's a line in the sand for me... maybe because (in theory) it's not like they have a choice.

I wouldn't take the piss out of their family / kids either. I have code of conduct of some sort.

I'd expect plenty would have a dig, but I think the majority would hold back... the world's moved on (at least I think it has).

Err... I think the world moving on would be evident by humourous roasting. I'm not talking ill-mannered, mean spirited stuff.

Holding back would be seen as the world NOT moving on, to be honest. If we're willing to tease someone for shagging their sister in law, or shagging a granny prostitute... then why the hell wouldn't we tease them if they are shagging a guy? It's all taking the piss, but it's all the same. It's about knowing details of their private life, and trying to wind the player up with it. One thing isn't more terrible than the other, and if you think so, then you've likely got some sort of hang up about it.

If it's mean-spirited, or hate-filled bile, (which I think would DEFINITELY happen from time to time with this subject in mind) then that's totally different. I wouldn't be cool with that at all.

I'd deffo take the piss out of the bent bastard, what's the difference between being called a gayer with being called a thieving scouser? The only difference is that 'Scouserphobia' hasnt been embraced by the PC brigade yet (and it'll have to wait in line behind fatism and Ageism by the looks of things).

In the words of the great Eddie Murphy: 'I take the piss out of homosexuals because.......they're homosexuals'

What about if someone's bald? Would you ever call them a bald cunt in the heat of the moment? They have no choice.

Err... I think the world moving on would be evident by humourous roasting. I'm not talking ill-mannered' date=' mean spirited stuff.

Holding back would be seen as the world NOT moving on, to be honest. If we're willing to tease someone for shagging their sister in law, or shagging a granny prostitute... then why the hell wouldn't we tease them if they are shagging a guy? It's all taking the piss, but it's all the same. It's about knowing details of their private life, and trying to wind the player up with it. [b']One thing isn't more terrible than the other[/b], and if you think so, then you've likely got some sort of hang up about it.

If it's mean-spirited, or hate-filled bile, (which I think would DEFINITELY happen from time to time with this subject in mind) then that's totally different. I wouldn't be cool with that at all.

That's a mess that mate.

One thing isn't terrible at all, it's just someone being gay. The other two acts are at best immoral with one being illegal.

Reckon you've got completely the wrong idea on this one.

I didn't think he came out while he was still playing?

It was common knowledge while he was playing for Hearts in 1993/94. The fact that on the pitch he was a brute of a player, a bruising target man who never shirked a challenge seemed to cut him a lot of slack. It was hardly ever mentioned and I certainly never heard any chanting. If he'd been some fleet-footed winger who skipped out of challenges I imagine it could have been very different for him, though.

What about if someone's bald? Would you ever call them a bald cunt in the heat of the moment? They have no choice.

Oh I agree, and therein lies the dilemma, what's ok and what isn't?

I reckon most of us have a threshold where we say "nah, it's a step too far'... but that threshold is totally arbitrary and usually illogical... but still, we have them.

My logic (or wrong logic) is this:

At the moment, 'coming out' just cannot be easy for a footballer. I just couldn't take the piss after someone had the balls / conviction to come out. I'd be seeing it as a huge risk on their part, and worthy of applause really.

If someone's fat/bald/thick/ginger etc, yes that's not their fault either, but for some reason we've managed to dismiss it as 'a bit of a laugh, that's all'.

Like I say it's hypocritical (at worst) or just inconsistent (at best), but at least it's honest!

I've known plenty of fans claim to be absolutely appalled at paedophiles, then chat stuff about Wenger which they deem 'fair game'.

If think if we're honest with ourselves, most of us have some strange sets of values that don't really stack up!

I'd have no problem with it whatsoever, unless said player started flouncing about on the pitch pinching players bottoms. In which case i'd say 'OI YOU NOOOOOOOOO', I understand that it takes great bravery to come out in front of millions of people and for that you should be congratulated, but you can't go around Louie Spence style.... grabbing mens arses and trying to bum them at every opportunity. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business, but when it enters onto the football pitch there is a certain degree of decorum you have to abide by.

Guest ShoePiss
That's a mess that mate.

One thing isn't terrible at all, it's just someone being gay. The other two acts are at best immoral with one being illegal.

I think his general point is spot on though, intent is important. The tag 'dirty tackle' is brilliant, it's not mean spirited or homophobic at all, just funny, well that's the way I interpreted it. Of course maybe a homosexual would be a better judge of that.

In the tittoo thread the other day pony princess was talking about how shit tits were (along those lines) and I responded with well you like cock though, I thought it was funny and he didn't seem offended in any way.

Anyway I've already voted in this and I'd be embarrassed if the crowd made reference to a player's sexuality as I imagine it would be vindictive and always interpreted that way rather than it just being a friendly joke.

That's a mess that mate.

The point I was trying to make... is it's about private life details. That's it. I wasn't trying to compare the acts itself.

The guy will be self-conscious about coming out of the closet, and football supporters have always been about banter and winding up players and making songs out of private lives.

Trying to say that being gay is out of bounds sets the example that being gay is something that is wrong... like racism. Oh, you cant sing about racism and gayness. What the fuck? Why would they get paired together?

Who gives a shit where a football sticks his cock... unless you've got details on where it's going, and can needle him about it.

He would have the piss ripped out of him by teammates,opponents and fans alike but it would soon become old news and everybody would move on.

The problem would be that i wouldnt be surprised if the player took offence to a comment or action on the pitch but very little was done about it.

This is probably why they will not admit it until they finished playing,if at all.