You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, how would you react  

187 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would you react

• I'd defo sing derogatory things; no different to Steve Bruce's massive head, its something to target
    • I'd like to think i wouldnt sing, but if the song was funny i'd probably join in
    • It would depend who it was - if it was a blue or a manc i'd join in
    • I'm really not arsed at all about people sexual orientation but would expect others to sing
    • I'd be abhorred if people sang about someone being gay
    • Other - state your feelings

Theres been a phone in on 5Live this morning as i drove to the office, based on the fact that a NBA player has become the first 'active' american sports player to come out as Gay.

Part of the discussion was inevitably about whether it would be more difficult for a British footballer to come out and the tribalistic nature of fans was part of the answer as to why it would be.

I'm offering a poll - which is purposefully private so that people can put forward their true feelings about this - just to see what a typical selection of footie fans think.

So, if an opposition player from another premier league team came out, how would you react...

I'm not too sure that people would be that harsh on anyone that came out, personally. I think there is general tolerance now towards gay people in society to a level that people now simply accept that some people are gay, as they should.

Having said that, I only know 4 gay people well, of which 2 have received hellish treatment over the years simply for being who they are, so that tolerance might just be within my own social environment and i dont tend to associate with the neanderthals that would be abusive towards someone for being gay.

I'm not too sure that people would be that harsh on anyone that came out, personally. I think there is general tolerance now towards gay people in society to a level that people now simply accept that some people are gay, as they should.

A gay footballer would be ridiculed from pillar to post on the terraces. Look at the songs sung at Brighton.

A gay footballer would be ridiculed from pillar to post on the terraces. Look at the songs sung at Brighton.

good example, although its easier to believe that that song is harmless when there is no single target - not saying it is harmless, but justifying it in the eyes of those that sing it.

but, good point.

I would be horrified. This faux racism soap opera is intolerable and if journalists had a new angle to prove how they're the most noble and virtuous men since the apostles, it would be painful. Every boo, every tackle, every comment would be proof that football fans are these terrible people and that the football community has deep rooted, institutional homophobia problems. Christ, I can see it now.