You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, how would you react  

187 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would you react

• I'd defo sing derogatory things; no different to Steve Bruce's massive head, its something to target
    • I'd like to think i wouldnt sing, but if the song was funny i'd probably join in
    • It would depend who it was - if it was a blue or a manc i'd join in
    • I'm really not arsed at all about people sexual orientation but would expect others to sing
    • I'd be abhorred if people sang about someone being gay
    • Other - state your feelings

12 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Fair play to the lad, must've taken some balls to do.

Exactly, and agree it’s mad it’s ‘news’ . Hope everything goes well for him as he’s only 17. Could be big pressure on a young lad.

"Blackpool's Jake Daniels said his decision to come out as the UK's only openly gay active male professional footballer would allow him to be "free and confident"." - BBC

A bit much to announce to the world that he's Arthur and not Martha. Fuck me. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

If people sing homophobic songs I hope he doesn't feel too bummed about it

Comments like this are the reason that they choose to hide their sexuality.  
I understand this wasn't meant maliciously but it doesn't really help the situation.  

Sorry be being a serious cunt there. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Comments like this are the reason that they choose to hide their sexuality.  
I understand this wasn't meant maliciously but it doesn't really help the situation.  

Sorry be being a serious cunt there. 

Good on him, personally I’m not arsed!

• Upvote 1

The replies under the LFC twitter post about it have a bunch of religious fundamentalists talking shite. There’s some cunt who posted the Gerrard slip photo under it as like a "oh, Liverpool really messed up here supporting this" and it's one of the most liked responses.

It's also right after Idrissa Gueye refused to play for PSG at the weekend because they were wearing homophobia awareness kits with rainbow numbers and he didn't want to wear it. It's confirmed that he refused.

Even if you got rid of all the idiot banter merchants, you'll still have the religious or cultural hatred of homosexuality all over the football world. The hate will never go away and worse, these people believe it's their right to do it in the name of their religion.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The replies under the LFC twitter post about it have a bunch of religious fundamentalists talking shite. There’s some cunt who posted the Gerrard slip photo under it as like a "oh, Liverpool really messed up here supporting this" and it's one of the most liked responses.

It's also right after Idrissa Gueye refused to play for PSG at the weekend because they were wearing homophobia awareness kits with rainbow numbers and he didn't want to wear it.

Even if you got rid of all the idiot banter merchants, you'll still have the religious or cultural hatred of homosexuality all over the football world. The hate will never go away and worse, these people believe it's their right to do it in the name of their religion.

The great man speaketh

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

As long as we still get treated to rainbow-laces Hendo then I'm happy. 

Swear to god he turns into peak Zidane with those things on.

He actually starts with plain laces, then a magic unicorn farts into his boots - and it shows.

I had a look back to the poll to see how I voted, then saw it was private poll and thought “good shout” then read the questions and thought “they’re well worded” then looked at who started the thread. 

I’m alright, me.

9 years on and good luck to Daniels. 

I reckon if this same poll was posted today with the same questions, the results between the last two proper options would be roughly switched.

It's way beyond time for gay footballers to be open about their sexuality without fear of bullying, sanction, piss taking, violence or black-balling reprisal.

I'd love to see a wave of well known footballers kick those closet doors wide open and just be free to express themselves openly.

Our society would benefit from this immensely imo.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

WeareallIdrissa is trending because he's refused to play for PSG, this year and last year, when they had rainbow numbers on their kits so I guess we still have a long way to go.

What did PSG do about it? Should at the very least fine him his weeks wages and donate to a supporting charity but I bet they won't do even that.

It's sad as fuck really, why do people get so angry and enraged simply because other people are happy and express their love in a slightly different way?

As long as it's lawful and harmless and healthy then can be no sensible argument against homosexuality.

I say this from a position of someone who was a terrible, ignorant, blinkered bigot some 25 years ago.

I didn't knowingly know any gay people but I'd had this caricature painted for me by the media and generations of bigots, of a group of effiminate, lisping cissies. It's only by working alongside some gay people and getting to know them as people that made me realise just what a fucking bell-end I had been.

My eldest nephew is openly gay. He's a big Red and a great lad, loads of fun, very intelligent and very funny and I love him very much. I couldn't be more proud of him.

It angers me now to think there are still swathes of knucklehead arseholes, versions of my younger self, still out there, still as intolerant and as ignorant as ever. I'm quite embarrassed and ashamed of that person I used to be.

• Upvote 5