You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Referee apologises to Man Utd for Arsenal goal

RoyHodgeGone

Referee Philip Dowd took the unusual step of apologising yesterday for awarding Arsenal a goal against Manchester Utd. Apparently Dowd got the decision wrong and saw it necessary to apologise to Rio Ferdinand DURING the game. That's what HRH Fergie had to say after the game. I can't be the only one who finds this weird. If a ref makes a mistake and wants to own up to it afterwards then fine. To do so during a game is most odd. Ultimately he's the figure of authority on the pitch and shouldn't be going around apologising to players who often show a lack of respect as it is. He's just undermining himself and making it even harder for himself to give the tough decisions. It doesn't really help that's it's Man U and the perception that refs brown nose them anyway.

This is fucking crazy

Fergie tore into Dowd this moring in the papers saying his performance as ref was rubbish, and that united have one of the best disciplinary records in the league

But what does that matter? If they were yellow cards on the day, then they have to be given as yellow........it doesnt matter what went on last week. Prick.

Dowd should be fuming with those coments, yet he is saying sorry to United

Prick

They have not conceded a penalty or had someone sent off all season. Still, these things even themselves out over the course of a season...

Guarantee they'll have at least one penalty and one sending off given before the end of the season.

Nothing like manipulating the stats to make everything look hunky dorey!

Guarantee they'll have at least one penalty and one sending off given before the end of the season.

Nothing like manipulating the stats to make everything look hunky dorey!

I think its also true, although I'm not 100% on this, that paul scholes has been sent off more times in europe than he has domestically. When you consider how many more games he must've played domestically its a pretty incredible statistic.

It'll be interesting to see when Dowd next ref's a manc game. The average is about 12 months once you've upset the cunts. He might be spared now that he's got an apology in early but still can't see him reffing a game for them until they decide, probably if they are in desperate need for a result next season and he'll be wheeled out.

I need to leave the internet.

Everytime I look at it, something pops up giving United another advantage over other teams or propoganda selling their story of complete pureness to the masses. My currently simmering blood is now quickly reaching boiling point.

I need to leave the internet.

Everytime I look at it, something pops up giving United another advantage over other teams or propoganda selling their story of complete pureness to the masses. My currently simmering blood is now quickly reaching boiling point.

I'm pretty much the same way.

Between the Manc's more or less openly running the referees association and Suarez getting the shit kicked out of him and then our fanbase being portrayed as tantrumish children without any valid points whatsoever.

I just don't know anymore. I'm just more or less in a state of perpetual rage.

I just desperately wish something would change for the better.

Just astonishing, we may as well go the whole hog and introduce a rule stating that opposing teams should apologies to the mancs for scoring a goal of any nature against them even legitimate goals.

Anything that 'does down' Manchester United™ and the 'Theater of Dreams'™ must be outlawed.

The thing that winds me up more than anything is the stonewall refusal by anyone in the media to investigate this kind of shit. We all know it goes on, we all know referees and reporters are shit scared of that particular knight of the realm and show bias towards him and his team of cunts. But the fact that nobody from Panorama to the Eccles Gazette has got the kahoonas to step up and investigate all the sly pro united stuff that goes on is fucking sickening.

Not something you hear every day is it? A manager claiming the ref apologised to his captain during the game for an 'incorrect' decision.

This is the level at which United have undue influence over the officials in my opinion. It's not a question of bribery or direct corruption like with Inter Milan in the 60's for instance, but one fear deference and self preservation on the part of the officials.

The thing that winds me up more than anything is the stonewall refusal by anyone in the media to investigate this kind of shit. We all know it goes on, we all know referees and reporters are shit scared of that particular knight of the realm and show bias towards him and his team of cunts. But the fact that nobody from Panorama to the Eccles Gazette has got the kahoonas to step up and investigate all the sly pro united stuff that goes on is fucking sickening.

is true, I've said it before but something like this just wouldn't happen in North American Sports, the journos over here are like barracudas and very iconoclastic, the sports pages are littered with Fergescum types who have had their little empires torn down over much less than this.

Disgraced Former Rutgers Coach Fired for Abusing Players Found to Be Coaching…12-Year-Old Girls | TheBlaze.com