You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Possibly the antithesis of the Foodie Thread but after getting fed up throwing unused, green and sprouting potatoes away we've made the switch to frozen mash/sweet potato mash.

It's really handy to have, obviously less messy and is ready in minutes.  Downsides being plate for plate it's more expensive than a bag of potatoes. 

I'm also a big advocate of frozen veg in general.  In our drawer currently we have the ubiquitous petit pois, mixed veg, very fine green beans, spinach blocks, sliced peppers and sweetcorn.  Although we do eat fresh veg on the weekend usually on weeknights whatever we're having for tea we cook up a big panful of whatever veg we fancy which us and ToddleD all eat. 

In fact ToddleDs favourite veg of all time in spinach since I told her it's "Hulk Greens" and the Hulk grows it in his garden and lets us eat it.  In fact you'd be surprised how many of the Avengers routinely eat the food we do. 

• Upvote 1

Made this version of mulligatawny soup at the weekend and it turned out great. The plan was to have it for a few days this week. Unfortunately I then made the rookie mistake of chucking the rest of the noodles in the soup and now I have flavoured noodles but no actual liquid left in the soup. I wish I stopped to think sometimes

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/09/thomasina-miers-recipe-for-beef-and-noodle-mulligatawny-soup

• Upvote 1

It is hard. We tried to watch it with subtitles but it was even worse seeing his nonsensical ramblings.

Going to be giving a go his courgette, mint and lemon pasta, roast Tikka chicken and probably the meatball buns this week.

I got my boy the book for Christmas.

He did the courgette pasta and spiced sweet potatoes one night. They were both very good

• Upvote 1

I have a shed load of cooking cooks im lookimg to sell. I can list them on here but they are perfect condition on the whole and various regions

Brazil

Ukraine

Ghana

Persian

Obviously postage wouldn't be cheap per book but if anyone is interested in a few i can ship them via a courier cheaper.

Some good books,want about £5 each or a few cheaper

Anyone interested let me know and ill list them

• Upvote 2

Did his meatloaf a couple of weekends ago. It was fab, but mahoosive.

And like a bat out of hell, it was gone when the morning came.

Sorry.

His 15 and 30 minute series were excellent.

His school food campaign was a bit righteous but spot on.

I have his 30 Minute Meals book and there are loads of excellent suggestions in there. His very evident Tory-ness and former fake cockney geezer persona notwithstanding, where he's been successful is in making his ideas accessible. People are more likely to have a go at it themselves if it looks like something they could do.

• Upvote 1

And he’s mates with Gennaro Contaldo so he can’t be a complete cunt.

That and his unearthing by the late, great Carluccio are definite huge mitigating circumstances.

And yes, he is very very good too I must admit.

Would have a beer with him before Blumenthal for instance, for sure.

• Upvote 1

That and his unearthing by the late, great Carluccio are definite huge mitigating circumstances.

And yes, he is very very good too I must admit.

Would have a beer with him before Blumenthal for instance, for sure.

If you’re wanting a chef to have a beer with then this has to be your guy.

richard-corrigan.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you’re wanting a chef to have a beer with then this has to be your guy.

richard-corrigan.jpg

I had a nice chat with Mr Corrigan in his former Stephen's Green restaurant once - while I was shovelling in his fish pie and drinking a bottle of Chablis... and I said it would be nice if he could join me for a drink... and he reluctantly declined, saying he feared the amount he might wish to drink would make him "rude to the customers".

Top. Bloke.

• Upvote 1

I had a nice chat with Mr Corrigan in his former Stephen's Green restaurant once - while I was shovelling in his fish pie and drinking a bottle of Chablis... and I said it would be nice if he could join me for a drink... and he reluctantly declined, saying he feared the amount he might wish to drink would make him "rude to the customers".

Top. Bloke.

Got shitfaced with him about 12/13 years ago.

Fuck me the guy can drink.

• Upvote 1