You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Last couple of breads in the machine have been disappointing, seem to be only half risen.  I bough Aldi strong white bread flour (as opposed to Allisons) and have been using Alisons easybake yeast rather than the sainsburys sachets which I was using.

I thought flour was just flour and the yeast is being kept in the fridge as per instructions so not sure what's going on

Last couple of breads in the machine have been disappointing, seem to be only half risen. I bough Aldi strong white bread flour (as opposed to Allisons) and have been using Alisons easybake yeast rather than the sainsburys sachets which I was using.

I thought flour was just flour and the yeast is being kept in the fridge as per instructions so not sure what's going on

We’ve had this. I think it’s something to do with the order the ingredients are put into the pan and how they then combine or not

We’ve had this. I think it’s something to do with the order the ingredients are put into the pan and how they then combine or not

I followed the instructions as per the instructions, water, butter/oil, salt, flour, yeast.  One thing I didn't do with this one though (as I set it to come on at about 2am so we had it for morning) was check it to make sure all the flour had mixed in and there's nothing in the corners which is something I usually do.  

The bread is edible but it's bigger one side than the other and has sort of a "split" near the top.  I'm just a perfectionist.  WE GO AGAIN 

I followed the instructions as per the instructions, water, butter/oil, salt, flour, yeast. One thing I didn't do with this one though (as I set it to come on at about 2am so we had it for morning) was check it to make sure all the flour had mixed in and there's nothing in the corners which is something I usually do.

The bread is edible but it's bigger one side than the other and has sort of a "split" near the top. I'm just a perfectionist. WE GO AGAIN

Oh I know that feeling. And the disappointment.

The split makes it sound like it had got too hot in the early part of cooking. Curious

• Upvote 1

Oh I know that feeling. And the disappointment.

The split makes it sound like it had got too hot in the early part of cooking. Curious

I'm going through all the various settings at the minute (there's loads) the best one was the French Bread 100g loaf.  The one last night was "sandwich bread" I'm assuming they all have various differences in temperature.  I'm also aware that I got a discounted Aldi machine rather than a £200 Panasonic wonder-one so I accept that the equipment might not be superb.

One we've eaten the loaf of failure I'll do a french one again exactly as I did before to get back on form.

I have to say the Brioche I did on the weekend was fantastic.  Tempted to do some pizza dough this weekend as we love home made Pizza in the Dangerously household but I do make an absolute mess

Yeah my camera is shit

The chicken things looked far better on the plate than the pic. Dont let that put you off doing them though.

Cut up onion,avacado and chilli and crush into a paste and spoon on top of chocken and add cheese.

Lovely

Also im not big on food presentation.

Made a really nice Goan fish curry this week and a belt and braces pork stroganoff.

Not cooked in ages and always forget how much the kitchen to myself, music on and cooking is one of my favourite places to be.

Recipes please