Champ

The Foodie thread

12 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

We need a whole sub foodie thread on things that should or shouldn’t be kept in the fridge. Butter, tomatoes and eggs. Not refrigerated. 

Golden rule is to store at home how it is shelved in supermarket. Butter = fridge.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are buying eggs from a supermarket you certainly need to refrigerate them. 

Eggs aren’t kept in fridges in supermarkets, are they? That said, I refrigerate eggs and butter.

5 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Golden rule is to store at home how it is shelved in supermarket. Butter = fridge.

Glad I'm not the only one who keeps my fish on a bed of crushed ice and parsley.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Eggs aren’t kept in fridges in supermarkets, are they? That said, I refrigerate eggs and butter.

In the US they are. Commercial eggs here get bleached. Once that happens they have to be refrigerated.

Natural eggs can be kept at room temps - have to do the float test with them buggers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are buying eggs from a supermarket you certainly need to refrigerate them. 

Not here you don’t. And shouldn’t. 

Eggs are porous and will take on the smell/flavours of other foods in the fridge. 

They’ll also not cook properly straight from the fridge. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not here you don’t. And shouldn’t. 

I think they only get "porous" if treated. Or refrigerated. 

A natural egg is sealed isn't it? That's why you don't need to refrigerate it. 

Do you have to float your eggs to check before using them?

Saw hummus getting grief on here the other day, which annoyed me, so I had some tonight.

dinnerdinner.jpg

Pitta bread with hummus; mushroom shawarma; goat's cheese stuffed cherry peppers; plus ready salted chip sticks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Saw hummus getting grief on here the other day, which annoyed me, so I had some tonight.

dinnerdinner.jpg

Pitta bread with hummus; mushroom shawarma; goat's cheese stuffed cherry peppers; plus ready salted chip sticks.

Absolutely nothing wrong with hummus

Pita,lamb,salad,hummus 

Add some zatar to the hummus

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

dinnerdinner.jpg

Quality this , certainly could do with a healthy dollop of tzatziki in there. Something crunchy too - carrot,celery?

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Quality this , certainly could do with a healthy dollop of tzatziki in there. Something crunchy too - carrot,celery?

Spicy chicken unicorns?

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with hummus

I know, right? Certainly doesn't merit being compared to baby vomit or something.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I can't do tsatziki. I have a visceral hatred of cucumber. Crudites aren't really my thing either. I like my vegetables cooked.

10 hours ago, Strontium said:

dinnerdinner.jpg

Those peppers are absolute food of the gods.

Dopamine-gasm.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Strontium said:

dinnerdinner.jpg

Looks good that Stronts. If I had to be critical you've gone a little low on the amount of cherry peppers.

12 hours ago, Strontium said:

dinnerdinner.jpg

Homemade?

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Working from home, sunny day so pub lunch with Mrs Willard. Fish finger sandwiches and a lager top. Very tasty. 

47AFE0E5-1FAD-4406-854F-985328F13C0C.jpeg

That looks lovely. What sauce did you have on the sarnie? 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

That looks lovely. What sauce did you have on the sarnie? 

Tartare. 2 pints of lager and lime then went home and fell asleep on a sunlounger in the garden, got sun burnt and missed an important work call. I’m getting too old for lunchtime drinking. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Tartare. 2 pints of lager and lime then went home and fell asleep on a sunlounger in the garden, got sun burnt and missed an important work call. I’m getting too old for lunchtime drinking. 

You're the reason Jacob Rees-Mogg keeps trying to get people back in the office.

Watch telly and tap the mouse every 5 minutes like a responsible adult.