You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

11 hours ago, Elite said:

I made a curry from scratch last night, it was nice but lacking the depth of taste compared to one from a proper Indian restaurant.

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

Along with Chillies, Tomatoes, Green Pepper, Onions and Yoghurt.

Any idea what it's lacking?

For a real, authentic takeaway experience, tell everyone it'll be ready an hour before you start cooking it and when people start asking where it is, tell them it's 'on its way' in a surly manner before muttering curses under your breath.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

For a real, authentic takeaway experience, tell everyone it'll be ready an hour before you start cooking it and when people start asking where it is, tell them it's 'on its way' in a surly manner before muttering curses under your breath.

And call all my guests 'Boss'.

• Upvote 1

I made a curry from scratch last night, it was nice but lacking the depth of taste compared to one from a proper Indian restaurant.

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

Oil. Or the quantity used to give you that ‘authentic’ taste

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

MSG

Not directly about food, but...

Our utensils/knives are shit. As in the hondle is more likely to go through your hand before the blade goes through the meat.

I'm a tight cunt, so here's the deal.

At the minute, because of Brexit, us in the Emerald Isle are getting a bit of a tax break (until July when Revenue close the loophole). Basically anything with a value of €22 or less doesn't get charged VAT on this side.

So shopping with Amazon.co.uk, they take the UK VAT off and apply Irish VAT. But because of the loophole, we basically get the stuff tax free! Using Prime then gives you free shipping, so there are bargains to be had.

So after that spiel, if ye were looking to start out with decent knives and utensils, what would ye be looking for?

I'm not expecting ye to go looking through Amazon for me.

But I don't even know the names of knives! My knowledge extends to "the small sharp one" and "the big one with the edges on it!".

Sound.

9 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Roast the whole spices before grinding them. Always use freshly ground spices. Once they're ground they lose flavour very quickly, same as coffee. Shop bought garam masala is usually heavy on the cheap spices and light on the more expensive ones.

Sounds like a lot of hassle that. How long do they keep once ground?

13 minutes ago, Lario said:

Our utensils/knives are shit. As in the hondle is more likely to go through your hand before the blade goes through the meat.

At the minute, because of Brexit, us in the Emerald Isle are getting a bit of a tax break (until July when Revenue close the loophole). Basically anything with a value of €22 or less doesn't get charged VAT on this side.

So shopping with Amazon.co.uk, they take the UK VAT off and apply Irish VAT. But because of the loophole, we basically get the stuff tax free! Using Prime then gives you free shipping, so there are bargains to be had.

So after that spiel, if ye were looking to start out with decent knives and utensils, what would ye be looking for?

But I don't even know the names of knives! My knowledge extends to "the small sharp one" and "the big one with the edges on it!".

Sound.

Global are good, I’ve sliced myself to the bone with one of those. 

17 minutes ago, Lario said:

Sound.

I have a few Wusthof Classic knives and they are brutally sharp. I prefer the classic range : the handles have a bit of weight to them and are perfectly balanced. 

If you are buying good knives invest in a decent sharpener. I use a stone but I am an OCD dick

24 minutes ago, Lario said:

Sound.

I bought these on an offer.  Not pricy and have stayed sharp after 1 year of daily use. 

https://jean-patrique.co.uk/products/chopaholic-oriental-3-piece-chef-s-knife-set

33 minutes ago, Lario said:

Sound.

@lifetime fan is your man 

Thanks for the suggestions lads.

But I'm thick as shit.

Can ye actually give me the name/types of knives/utensils that I should be looking for? Or are they all just "chef's knives" and differing sizes?

Like what knife for cutting a roast? Loaf of bread? etc.

1 hour ago, Lario said:

Thanks for the suggestions lads.

But I'm thick as shit.

Can ye actually give me the name/types of knives/utensils that I should be looking for? Or are they all just "chef's knives" and differing sizes?

Like what knife for cutting a roast? Loaf of bread? etc.

Fuck me. Just go to your nearest big supermarket and pick a few up! 

• Upvote 1

@Lario

Sounds like you are not really needing "pro" level knives. Take a look at something like this - with the exception of a true carving knife you would be covered. I have a few Henckel's knives and they are fine - not the quality of a Wusthof or Global as examples from this thread but perfectly usable and will last you years - plus you get a set of steak knives.

ATEOTD it is about how sharp you keep them - cheap and sharp is better than dull and expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Henckels-International-13550-005-Statement/dp/B00GHX5HGG/ref=psdc_409670_t1_B08K35PY92

Carving

https://www.amazon.com/J-HENCKELS-INTERNATIONAL-31160-201-Stainless/dp/B00004RFMR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=14NOF2P4Q4JVM&dchild=1&keywords=henckels+carving+knife&qid=1613403259&sprefix=henckel+carving%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-2

• Upvote 1

I really like my Santoku knives I bought. One small, one large and use them for pretty much everything. I bought them separately, each were less than £20.

Like with most things you can get top of the range versions for over £100, but I am perfectly happy with my cheap ones. 

I like the flatter blades and the wide blades. They look like this:

34917180_white.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input lads. I know what I'm asking sounds daft, but we're (she's) looking for a decent upgrade on the shite that she currently uses, but without breaking the bank. Everything we have was picked up over the years, like a block with 5 knives from Argos for £20. Couple break, block gets dumped, remainder thrown into the drawer.

So we've oodles of knives, but nothing decent.

She's been getting quite a few deliveries of Hello-Fresh and making from scratch. Some of the stuff is really nice. All predominantly Asian based and spicy, which is a win-win for me. I'll get her to send me a picture of it and I'll post it on here.

One question and on the subject of taking pictures of food - is it just my bird who takes a picture of virtually every fucking thing she eats and posts it to her mates?

I've threatened to take a picture of me shit and tell her to send it to her mates to show what the end product looks like. 

55 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

She's been getting quite a few deliveries of Hello-Fresh and making from scratch. Some of the stuff is really nice. All predominantly Asian based and spicy, which is a win-win for me. I'll get her to send me a picture of it and I'll post it on here.

One question and on the subject of taking pictures of food - is it just my bird who takes a picture of virtually every fucking thing she eats and posts it to her mates?

I've threatened to take a picture of me shit and tell her to send it to her mates to show what the end product looks like. 

While we’re on the subject can you ask her to send me a picture of her shit? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2