You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

I made a curry from scratch last night, it was nice but lacking the depth of taste compared to one from a proper Indian restaurant.

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

Along with Chillies, Tomatoes, Green Pepper, Onions and Yoghurt.

Any idea what it's lacking?

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

I made a curry from scratch last night, it was nice but lacking the depth of taste compared to one from a proper Indian restaurant.

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

Key is to really cook the spices. Brown your onions, add the spices and garlic add a bit of water. Cook it down until the water evaporates then add more, only like 2 tablespoons. Do this for about 5 minutes and you'll end up with your own curry paste. I really noticed the difference. 

One thing youll miss from restaurant curry is obscene amounts of ghee, so use butter and oil mixed for your frying. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Key is to really cook the spices. Brown your onions, add the spices and garlic add a bit of water. Cook it down until the water evaporates then add more, only like 2 tablespoons. Do this for about 5 minutes and you'll end up with your own curry paste. I really noticed the difference. 

One thing youll miss from restaurant curry is obscene amounts of ghee, so use butter and oil mixed for your frying. 

So how many tablespoons are we talking here in total? I only used two of each last night.

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

So how many tablespoons are we talking here in total? I only used two of each last night.

Because I'm a fat body I'm using low cal spray. I'd go for equal parts butter and vegetable oil. Just loads. 

It's important to cook the spices properly though. Try swapping yogurt for coconut milk or cream, using them as a last minute addition 

4 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Because I'm a fat body I'm using low cal spray. I'd go for equal parts butter and vegetable oil. Just loads. 

It's important to cook the spices properly though. Try swapping yogurt for coconut milk or cream, using them as a last minute addition 

Thanks. I'll have another go during the week, I followed a recipe from the hairy bikers last night but it's a healthy version, seeing as they aren't fat bastards anymore. I really enjoy cooking Asian food, definitely need to do a few classes when I'm able.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Elite said:

Thanks. I'll have another go during the week, I followed a recipe from the hairy bikers last night but it's a healthy version, seeing as they aren't fat bastards anymore. I really enjoy cooking Asian food, definitely need to do a few classes when I'm able.

The Hairy Heartattacks were much better before they went healthy.  The ones I cooked yesterday were all veggie and nothing but 1cal spray in, so you can make them indulgent without going OTT I suppose. 

Actual Indians often say you need to toast your spices in a dry pan before you then add oil etc but I can never be bothered with all that.

39 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

The Hairy Heartattacks were much better before they went healthy.  The ones I cooked yesterday were all veggie and nothing but 1cal spray in, so you can make them indulgent without going OTT I suppose. 

Actual Indians often say you need to toast your spices in a dry pan before you then add oil etc but I can never be bothered with all that.

Not an actual Indian, but that's how I've always been shown how to do it.

Dry, no oil.

Let them toast, but not burn, fills the pan with flavour.

• Upvote 1

I cooked steaks on the BBQ last night because I was in a bad mood and thought standing in the cold for a while would make me feel better.  

Did them reverse sear so got the Egg to 215f until the steaks hit 130 and then took them off, got the temp right up to molten and then seared then for about 90 seconds each side.  They were amazing, very tender and juicy.  

I remained in a bad mood all evening. 

Oh, forgot to say I ordered the steaks from Farmison, they were excellent 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

To be fair, all nuts/spices are better toasted beforehand. Pine-nuts are exactly the same for a Pesto, toast them before letting them cool and adding in, and it raises the finished Pesto up a level from if you don't toast. .  

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not an actual Indian, but that's how I've always been shown how to do it.

Dry, no oil.

Let them toast, but not burn, fills the pan with flavour.

This. You won't get that depth of flavour unless you toast the spices in a dry pan. And add cardamom to your list as well.

Before you start cooking with the butter, melt it in a jug over hot water or in a microwave. The milk solids will fall to the bottom, and you just carefully pour the clear-ish stuff off the top. Thats your ghee.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elite said:

I used:

Fresh Ginger 

Garlic 

Ground Turmeric 

Ground Cumin 

Garam Masala 

Fresh Coriander 

Brown sugar 

Salt

Being a blend of pungent spices like cloves and cinnamon, it might be that the garam masala is overpowering and confusing the final flavour.

I usually only add garam masala (home made) at the last minute of cooking, and only for heavier, meatier curries.

If you're looking for something lighter, I'd lean towards turmeric/curry powder (home made), cumin and coriander.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, neko said:

Being a blend of pungent spices like cloves and cinnamon, it might be that the garam masala is overpowering and confusing the final flavour.

I usually only add garam masala (home made) at the last minute of cooking, and only for heavier, meatier curries.

If you're looking for something lighter, I'd lean towards turmeric/curry powder (home made), cumin and coriander.

Yeah I use Gara masala to sprinkle on top when serving most of the time. I try to make my own blends as I go.