You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Wellington looks ace

The mash looks like that normal overly mushed chef shite. Mash needs some texture and consistency, don't need pure shite on the plate just so you can smear it. 

Double Wellington and hold mash 

• Upvote 1

Being at home has really improved the quality and resourcefulness of my cooking, I'm enjoying using up what we have in alongside a regular fruit and veg delivery. Now is my favourite time of year as we start to reap the rewards from the veg plot - we've been eating strawberries, spinach, chard, peas, lettuce, radish and these delicious swede-turnip hybrids for a few weeks and now we're starting to get courgettes, onions potatoes, beans and all manner of things. 

Tonight I made a veggie mousakka with aubergine, courgette and potato and served it with some new potatoes, cubed and roasted with preserved lemons, garlic and all manner of herbs straight from the garden. Absolutely delicious.

I also thinned out the carrots in the garden and decided to use the tops to make a pesto rather than chuck them on the compost. It's genuinely the best pesto I've ever tasted. If you grow carrots or get them with the green tops I fully recommend it - just lob them in a blender with pine nuts, roasted garlic, good olive oil, salt, pepper and lashings of parmesan. I'll be using that tomorrow night to make a pesto and pea (also straight from the garden) risotto, served with whatever sourdough loaf I make tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Sounds great. 

I get fuck all light in my garden, 3 massive fuck off trees in there, very little soil or light gets to anything, the grass won't even grow. 

Might stick some herb pots out on the patio bit which catches the sun though. Shop bought herbs are average at best. The herb preserver I bought for the fridge it pretty good though 

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

IMG_20200707_191127.jpg

I'll be honest, I find your penchant for having a top drawer malt with dinner a little weird. The flavors of the food will distract from the flavors of the whisky. It does not have the astringency of wine to cut through the flavors of the food. If you are pouring the whisky for after dinner, all the fine aromatics will have put their hat and coat on and fucked off by then. Either way, you're ruining fine whisky

You couldn't be more wrong on both counts. 

If you pair the right whisky it compliments the food well and similarly some whisky will change after being left out  to breathe. The only thing that i find doesn't work is spicy food. 

https://whiskyloot.com/blogs/dram-good-blog/foods-best-paired-with-your-whisky

https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/news/pairings/which-foods-pair-best-with-whisky/

21 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You can match most drinks to food. 

I just can’t like whisky. 

You dont like any style of whisky?

I don't really go for wine, i should give it a go again but  hated it the few times i had it before. 

You like rum don't you?

New rums im looking at Barti spiced seaweed rum 

and this bourbon sounds good

61KmxQ2Hr2L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

You dont like any style of whisky?

I don't really go for wine, i should give it a go again but  hated it the few times i had it before. 

You like rum don't you?

New rums im looking at Barti spiced seaweed rum 

and this bourbon sounds good

61KmxQ2Hr2L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Think it’s the smell as much as anything else, as soon as I lift the glass towards my face I start to wretch. 

Love rum though. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Think it’s the smell as much as anything else, as soon as I lift the glass towards my face I start to wretch. 

Love rum though. 

Sometimes you just need to lie back and think of pissing the bed later. 

On 27/06/2020 at 22:52, Karl_b said:

In the glorious weather, I had a hankering for the mouthwatering, simple seafood we ate lots of in Lisbon a few years back. Got on the phone to the local fishmonger, had a delivery that evening and stuck the BBQ on. Whole grilled mackerel with garlic prawns and scallops served with lemony, herby potatoes (I love these - preserved lemons, garlic and whatever mix of herbs from the garden, usually rosemary, sage, mint, parsley). Hit the fucking spot, it was sensational:

20200625_193254.jpg

Next week we have an order for a bucketload of the prawns so hoping for another nice day to stick them all on the BBQ and serve them with some good sauces and homemade bread.

That looks awesome mate. 

The birds dad went fishing today and has just asked me if I want these? 

A59433C9-0BEB-471B-9A3F-C97270D28568.jpeg

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Exactly. And the best thing is the bird and kids don’t like mackerel. 

How are you cooking it Col? You can't beat fresh Mackerel. My old man use to fish them and bring them up to me the same day.   I would just grill them with a  touch of salt along with vine tomatoes.   Food of the Gods

On 07/07/2020 at 15:55, Karl_b said:

I also thinned out the carrots in the garden and decided to use the tops to make a pesto rather than chuck them on the compost. It's genuinely the best pesto I've ever tasted. If you grow carrots or get them with the green tops I fully recommend it - just lob them in a blender with pine nuts, roasted garlic, good olive oil, salt, pepper and lashings of parmesan. I'll be using that tomorrow night to make a pesto and pea (also straight from the garden) risotto, served with whatever sourdough loaf I make tomorrow.

I'm going to try this carrot pesto out tonight. Just a small amount to put on some butternut squash cakes and black cod.

It better be fucking good Karl, or I'll kill you.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

How are you cooking it Col? You can't beat fresh Mackerel. My old man use to fish them and bring them up to me the same day.   I would just grill them with a  touch of salt along with vine tomatoes.   Food of the Gods

I love mine just grilled with lemon juice, served on toasted soda bread with beetroot and some horseradish.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neko said:

I'm going to try this carrot pesto out tonight. Just a small amount to put on some butternut squash cakes and black cod.

It better be fucking good Karl, or I'll kill you.

Fair.