You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Nice one, thanks. I made a really nice korma before, once, but it still wasn't at the level of my favourite Indian. I need to get me so ghee.

I've made a jalfrezzi once and it was turd.

I find if you follow the basic principles of Curry making you can improvise with the rest. Although that can be said about any Soup/Broth/Stew dish. For a decent curry I always caramelise the three staples (Ginger/Garlic/Onions) for a deeper and richer taste and use the rule 'more is better' when it comes to the other spices. You can always use Joghurt/Coconut Milk/Creme Fraiche to reduce to heat of a curry if you go to far, nothing worse than under spicing imo and being left with a bland dish. 

27 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Nice one, thanks. I made a really nice korma before, once, but it still wasn't at the level of my favourite Indian. I need to get me some ghee.

I've made a jalfrezzi once and it was turd.

Turd has no place in my Foodie thread

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Surely Google isn't that quick. After talking about Curry this morning we just got a flyer in the post for some Indian Restaurant/Takeaway in the City that I've never heard of. 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Can anyone recommend a  good spice 

base for curry? 

Two/ Three musts is Onion/Garlic and ginger which is the main base for curry, as I said earlier I like to caramelise them for a richer base. A lot of Indians leave out the garlic due to its pungency. After that it is all your usual suspects, Coriander, Turmeric, Cumin etc. For the sauce body you can puree tinned tomatoes (way better than fresh for a curry) peppers, yogurt, Cream, Coconut milk, plus spinach gives a good taste. Just mix and match as preferred. 

Thousands of recipes on-line mate, plus after a while you'll just make them from memory as it is the same as a broth/stew/soup in the fact you can just wing it. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Two/ Three musts is Onion/Garlic and ginger which is the main base for curry, as I said earlier I like to caramelise them for a richer base. A lot of Indians leave out the garlic due to its pungency. After that it is all your usual suspects, Coriander, Turmeric, Cumin etc. For the sauce body you can puree tinned tomatoes (way better than fresh for a curry) peppers, yogurt, Cream, Coconut milk, plus spinach gives a good taste. Just mix and match as preferred. 

Thousands of recipes on-line mate, plus after a while you'll just make them from memory as it is the same as a broth/stew/soup in the fact you can just wing it. 

I've made a nice curry before using the spice mixes in the 'world foods aisle' added my own ginger, onions, chilli's, sat, pepper etc. Some of the mixtures aren't great though. 

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've made a nice curry before using the spice mixes in the 'world foods aisle' added my own ginger, onions, chilli's, sat, pepper etc. Some of the mixtures aren't great though. 

The mixes may do a job but you pay a premium price and it would serve you in the long run to buy a starter collection of individual jars or packets of spices such as cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, paprika, chilli powder and take it from there

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
15 minutes ago, Elite said:

Like Cath said, those ready made spice mixtures are premium price. Fine if it is something you just want to make once in a while.** If you want to make it on a more regular basis then buy individual packets. Never use supermarkets as they'll charge you an arm and a leg for spices in small jars/packets. Use a Delhi or better still the market, you'll get much more for your money and if you use a reputable outlet you'll get the good stuff which lasts long enough as in the sell by/use by dates. Make sure you check though, as some will just palm any old shit off to you and I've seen stuff on the shelves which is a year over its use by date.

** The worst thing about those ready to use spice mixtures is that they will also not have enough spices in them. Say for two servings yet you normally end up with some bland shit as the two servings they are on about must be for minute proportions.  

2 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm thinking of getting a George Foreman Grill, as I prefer burgers on them and saves my oven getting full of grease from grilling burgers, bacon, etc.

Any good deals out there?

I thought you just claimed someone else's?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Like Cath said, those ready made spice mixtures are premium price. Fine if it is something you just want to make once in a while.** If you want to make it on a more regular basis then buy individual packets. Never use supermarkets as they'll charge you an arm and a leg for spices in small jars/packets. Use a Delhi or better still the market, you'll get much more for your money and if you use a reputable outlet you'll get the good stuff which lasts long enough as in the sell by/use by dates. Make sure you check though, as some will just palm any old shit off to you and I've seen stuff on the shelves which is a year over its use by date.

** The worst thing about those ready to use spice mixtures is that they will also not have enough spices in them. Say for two servings yet you normally end up with some bland shit as the two servings they are on about must be for minute proportions.  

The mixes I am talking about as massive and not that expensive but getting all the spices individually does sound better.

In regards to adding yoghurt, does it not curdle? I use Creme Fraiche in other sauces as it doesn't curdle.

Guest Pistonbroke
44 minutes ago, Elite said:

The mixes I am talking about as massive and not that expensive but getting all the spices individually does sound better.

In regards to adding yoghurt, does it not curdle? I use Creme Fraiche in other sauces as it doesn't curdle.

No mate, yogurt (in fact most dairy products) is fine and acts really good to soften the blow if you've made something too spicy. Creme Fraiche also works as does coconut milk, ordinary milk and even cheese. You can also go for the Acid approach by adding lemon, lime or even vinegar, I prefer the dairy product approach myself. Some people also use honey or sugar. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Don't add yoghurt at the cooking stage. Instead, use it as part of the marinade along with some of the spices, but only use enough to coat everything rather than have everything swimming in it. It helps transmit the spices better, and the enzymes in the yoghurt help tenderise the meat.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
52 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Don't add yoghurt at the cooking stage. Instead, use it as part of the marinade along with some of the spices, but only use enough to coat everything rather than have everything swimming in it. It helps transmit the spices better, and the enzymes in the yoghurt help tenderise the meat.

Butter Milk is also ace to tenderise meat, just soak it in the stuff overnight. 

On 05/05/2020 at 09:05, Pistonbroke said:

I find if you follow the basic principles of Curry making you can improvise with the rest. Although that can be said about any Soup/Broth/Stew dish. For a decent curry I always caramelise the three staples (Ginger/Garlic/Onions) for a deeper and richer taste and use the rule 'more is better' when it comes to the other spices. You can always use Joghurt/Coconut Milk/Creme Fraiche to reduce to heat of a curry if you go to far, nothing worse than under spicing imo and being left with a bland dish. 

I work with a few Indian fellas and they say they use a hell of a lot more spices in curries than all the recipies you get in books etc. Not neccessarily to give more heat just flavour.