Quantcast
The Foodie thread - Page 10 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Champ

The Foodie thread

Not at all but my recipe has balsamic and white wine vinegar in it there two very dominant flavours garlic rub would be hidden imo I'll have to try it out next week.

Ah right. Sorry. Why the two vinegars though? Surely if anything will clash, it's them.

The flavour of tomato?

Are you reducing the vinegar or just using a small amount?

No man some veg have hidden flavours only brought out by vinegars and alcohol tomato is one of them it's very common for Italian to take advantage of this.

No man some veg have hidden flavours only brought out by vinegars and alcohol tomato is one of them it's very common for Italian to take advantage of this.

Yes, but it's still the flavour of a tomato it just enhances it.

It's a hidden flavour man read about vodka sauce

I have a tomato, but no vinegar or alcohol.

Question is, if I threaten its kids, will the flavour come out of hiding? Or maybe I could offer it a reward of some kind. Can the flavour be reasoned with, Si?

I have a tomato, but no vinegar or alcohol.

Question is, if I threaten its kids, will the flavour come out of hiding? Or maybe I could offer it a reward of some kind. Can the flavour be reasoned with, Si?

Ive spoke to many chefs that know nothing about it good chefs aswell its not well known but Pommegrannit Fennal Tomato and Aubergines are the ones i know of. There a name for it but im not quite sure what the flavour is called.

Ive spoke to many chefs that know nothing about it good chefs aswell its not well known but Pommegrannit Fennal Tomato and Aubergines are the ones i know of. There a name for it but im not quite sure what the flavour is called.

The internet knows nothing about it, so I might have to call shenanigans.

In fact, if you do a Google for "tomato "hidden flavour"" this thread is the first returned answer.

It's called Umami and is the fifth flavour. Naturally occurs in some foods, especially fermented ones, and in some foods it can be enhanced or released by the addition of alcohol. Simon is right that tomatoes are a great source, hence the popularity of Bloody Mary

Umami: why the fifth taste is so important | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

I would suggest they aren't good chefs.

As i said it enhances the flavour, it's not magic, it's still exists within the tomato.

Tomatoes and salt.

Don't need anything else.

Now, that's what I call pared down. No rub of garlic, no olive oil, no torn basil?

In this weather all I want is a plate of sliced beautiful tomatoes and sea salt.

I hesitated in my previous reply because I know I'm being a holiday bore I just love those big Greek tomatoes

It's called Umami and is the fifth flavour. Naturally occurs in some foods, especially fermented ones, and in some foods it can be enhanced or released by the addition of alcohol. Simon is right that tomatoes are a great source, hence the popularity of Bloody Mary

Umami: why the fifth taste is so important | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

I stand corrected, and will quest for umami.

Knock yourselves out. Category:Umami enhancers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA : I see worcestershire sauce is on the list. I'm getting the idea now. Lea & Perrins in any mince dish is a necessity.

I can feel my jam making juices stirring. If I'm not working this evening I'm going to get out this afternoon and pick some raspberries