You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

On 08/12/2021 at 07:40, Carvalho Diablo said:

Reinventing the toasted cheese sandwich (with pepperoni, corned beef, tomatoes and hot sauce).

IMG_20211208_123504.jpg

IMG_20211208_123654.jpg

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Toasted cheese, tomato, corned beef and pepperoni sarnies. One with HP, both with Encona hot pepper sauce.

IMG_20220119_122342.jpg

Re inventing. RE INVENTING!!!

• Upvote 1

I like my steak medium rare and don't mind if it's more towards rare but fuck me that's been flashed for 10 seconds either side by the looks of it. I'm surprised it's not eating the lettuce. 

And how the fuck did you cut that with a regular knife and not a steak knife? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I like my steak medium rare and don't mind if it's more towards rare but fuck me that's been flashed for 10 seconds either side by the looks of it. I'm surprised it's not eating the lettuce. 

Steak is best when it's bleu, not cooking all the vitamins out and more flavour. Easy to cut with a butter knife as its not cooked longer/tougher.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why is there a lump of cole slaw on your salad?

That's homemade potato salad, I make coleslaw aswell during the summer months.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I like mine on the rare side as well but a good vet would get that fucker back on its feet.

• Upvote 3

On 19/01/2022 at 20:27, lifetime fan said:

She’s been moaning about food being too fancy. I think her exact words were “you’re such a pretentious cunt”. 

So I’ve done corn beef hash tonight with baked beans and a fried egg. 

The CD influence is all encompassing.

• Upvote 1

On 16/02/2021 at 00:40, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Be careful if you decide to buy Global knives. There were some excellent looking knock-offs made in China, that were being passed off as genuine on eBay and some other sites. Otherwise, I would recommend Global - I did a course with Michel Roux Jr and they supplied them. 

I think it's better to just buy a couple of knives, maybe 3, depending on what you are intending to cook, and spend a bit more rather than going for a knife-block set.

I bought a Wusthoff bread knife for a reasonable price and it is really good quality.

A Chef's knife is very versatile, so an essential IMO. If you are cutting rib-eye for Japanese or Koren food (I really like Bulgogi), then the Santoku is a little better than the chef's knife. It will probably cost a bit more, though.

The other one might be a paring knife, or a cleaver.

For veg, I've got a Japanese version of the Chinese cleaver - a Nakiri. It's a bit less of a beast, and I find it easier to use.

I had a tax rebate and spunked some of it on a Bunka knife from an Aussie bloke called Scheepers. This, and the Nakiri, need more care than the Global knives, as you need to dry them quickly after washing, and then put some honing oil on. For sharpening the Globals, I just use a decent sharpener, but the Japanese ones need a whetstone. Global knives don't give the same razor sharpness, but the metal they are made of makes them more durable.

This is the Scheepersbuilt Bunka:

Bunka.jpg

I made bulgogi tonight and it was brilliant. 

Didn't take any photos because I was too keen to get it eaten. One of the easiest dishes ever tho.