You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah leave it , I expect she already thinks the sites weird

After explaining to her about the world of woman thread and that she has made some key contributions, she definitely thinks it's weird and we're all a gang of piss-taking cunts. And she's right! 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Lario said:

Not directly about food, but...

Our utensils/knives are shit. As in the hondle is more likely to go through your hand before the blade goes through the meat.

I'm a tight cunt, so here's the deal.

At the minute, because of Brexit, us in the Emerald Isle are getting a bit of a tax break (until July when Revenue close the loophole). Basically anything with a value of €22 or less doesn't get charged VAT on this side.

So shopping with Amazon.co.uk, they take the UK VAT off and apply Irish VAT. But because of the loophole, we basically get the stuff tax free! Using Prime then gives you free shipping, so there are bargains to be had.

So after that spiel, if ye were looking to start out with decent knives and utensils, what would ye be looking for?

I'm not expecting ye to go looking through Amazon for me.

But I don't even know the names of knives! My knowledge extends to "the small sharp one" and "the big one with the edges on it!".

Sound.

Be careful if you decide to buy Global knives. There were some excellent looking knock-offs made in China, that were being passed off as genuine on eBay and some other sites. Otherwise, I would recommend Global - I did a course with Michel Roux Jr and they supplied them. 

I think it's better to just buy a couple of knives, maybe 3, depending on what you are intending to cook, and spend a bit more rather than going for a knife-block set.

I bought a Wusthoff bread knife for a reasonable price and it is really good quality.

A Chef's knife is very versatile, so an essential IMO. If you are cutting rib-eye for Japanese or Koren food (I really like Bulgogi), then the Santoku is a little better than the chef's knife. It will probably cost a bit more, though.

The other one might be a paring knife, or a cleaver.

For veg, I've got a Japanese version of the Chinese cleaver - a Nakiri. It's a bit less of a beast, and I find it easier to use.

I had a tax rebate and spunked some of it on a Bunka knife from an Aussie bloke called Scheepers. This, and the Nakiri, need more care than the Global knives, as you need to dry them quickly after washing, and then put some honing oil on. For sharpening the Globals, I just use a decent sharpener, but the Japanese ones need a whetstone. Global knives don't give the same razor sharpness, but the metal they are made of makes them more durable.

This is the Scheepersbuilt Bunka:

Bunka.jpg

• Upvote 1

Transitioning over to vegan again and been getting into finding ways to use barely as I love the stuff. 

For anyone who misses the taste of meat try cooking some barley up in these stock cubes. Veggie/vegan friendly and there is definitely a strong meaty(lamb) taste. Really nice stock, add some other bits and cook it up as a broth for Soba noodles aswell. If you can't be arsed to marinade any tofu just cook up some Shitake mushroom, throw in the cauldron marinaded tofu for a few second and slice some spring onion to go on top of the broth and soba

Don't think about adding any extra stock cube for a more intense flavour the salt will ruin it. Just add dried mushrooms to stock

277368011_0_640x640.jpg

On 16/02/2021 at 00:40, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Be careful if you decide to buy Global knives. There were some excellent looking knock-offs made in China, that were being passed off as genuine on eBay and some other sites. Otherwise, I would recommend Global - I did a course with Michel Roux Jr and they supplied them. 

I think it's better to just buy a couple of knives, maybe 3, depending on what you are intending to cook, and spend a bit more rather than going for a knife-block set.

I bought a Wusthoff bread knife for a reasonable price and it is really good quality.

A Chef's knife is very versatile, so an essential IMO. If you are cutting rib-eye for Japanese or Koren food (I really like Bulgogi), then the Santoku is a little better than the chef's knife. It will probably cost a bit more, though.

The other one might be a paring knife, or a cleaver.

For veg, I've got a Japanese version of the Chinese cleaver - a Nakiri. It's a bit less of a beast, and I find it easier to use.

I had a tax rebate and spunked some of it on a Bunka knife from an Aussie bloke called Scheepers. This, and the Nakiri, need more care than the Global knives, as you need to dry them quickly after washing, and then put some honing oil on. For sharpening the Globals, I just use a decent sharpener, but the Japanese ones need a whetstone. Global knives don't give the same razor sharpness, but the metal they are made of makes them more durable.

This is the Scheepersbuilt Bunka:

Bunka.jpg

Never, ever buy Global on eBay! 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@remmie

Is that homemade tandoor?

It's homemade bread if that's what you mean, not heard the term tandoor, I'll be off to google it now. 

Edit: You'll be stunned to learn I don't have a tandoor oven, I cooked them in a pancake pan. 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

It's homemade bread if that's what you mean, not heard the term tandoor, I'll be off to google it now

Does it have any yogurt in it??

Tried to make a naan last night - the outside looked fine but far too doughy in the middle. Did it in a cast iron skillet.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Does it have any yogurt in it??

Tried to make a naan last night - the outside looked fine but far too doughy in the middle. Did it in a cast iron skillet.

No, I used a very easy recipe I found on YouTube. 

500g flour

150ml warm water

150ml warm milk

Salt to taste

A packet of yeast

3 tablespoons of olive oil 

Mix until combined, you don't have even have to knead. Oil the dough ball and cover in a bowl for an hour. Cut into 6 pieces, roll out each piece into a circle and cook in your pan, a couple minutes each side. Brush with olive oil/butter and garnish with your preferred herbs, I mixed paprika, a touch of cayenne, salt, pepper and some ground garlic. 

Really easy and really tasty. 

• Upvote 2

On 24/02/2021 at 07:40, Lee909 said:

Transitioning over to vegan again and been getting into finding ways to use barely as I love the stuff. 

For anyone who misses the taste of meat try cooking some barley up in these stock cubes. Veggie/vegan friendly and there is definitely a strong meaty(lamb) taste. Really nice stock, add some other bits and cook it up as a broth for Soba noodles aswell. If you can't be arsed to marinade any tofu just cook up some Shitake mushroom, throw in the cauldron marinaded tofu for a few second and slice some spring onion to go on top of the broth and soba

Don't think about adding any extra stock cube for a more intense flavour the salt will ruin it. Just add dried mushrooms to stock

Try these. Vegan Oxo Cubes. Game changers. 

OXO.jpeg

Cheers all, certainly better received than my experimental pizza! The houmous was homemade but needed more tahini, olive oil and garlic. All the recipes I find for houmous involve blitzing it into oblivion until its smoother than a babies bum, but I like it chunky, so next time I'll blitz 2 thirds into a smooth paste and mix in the Remaining third. I also remembered adding a bit of the brine from the olives too late. 

The falafels were from a mix from the Turkish Market stall so thought they'd be boss but they were drier than the Sahara. Next time I will have to make them myself, it's not a hard recipe but I was looking to save some time. Tomato and Mozzarella was almost certainly cheating, as it doesn't count as Turkish grub. In the little bowl are fried chick peas, fried with some Turkish spice mix. They needed more oil as they were still pretty soft on the outside.

This isn't like the breakfast thread where I am reviewing it even if it might read that way, it's just notes for next time and so you lot can learn from my mistakes.

If you are fancy making something similar, be on the look out from a good Turkish food shop, the olives were fantastic, the stuffed vine leaves and giant beans are always top notch and the Labneh (cream cheese) is very tasty. My stall also has a variety of flat breads if I can't be arsed to cook them. It's actually a very easy and delicious spread for 4-6 people if you can source some decent food. And I'm a vegetarian and Turkish food is dominated by meat so I'm sure you can add all the carcass you need.