You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

Not using sugar makes you less likely to die if you're diabetic. 

Weirdly (sugar) same time it can save your life as a diabetic. 

Being a diabetic is weird. 

Found a new diet which seems to be working, though dealing with some shit and fell off the wagon but I'm off alot now before Xmas so can get back on track and clear my head a bit. 

The guys I have been reading and watching are both type 1 diabetics and both scientists and say everything we have been told about the way to treat it is wrong. Low fat high carb vegan diet seems to be the right way, it's a complete contraindication to medical stuff your told which is keto or balanced. But they've linked fat cells to diabetes. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I always wonder though if these substitutes confuse the body though

I remember someone saying that to me about diet soft drinks years ago, like your body is tasting something sweet and then waiting for a sugar hit that doesn't arrive. Not sure if it works like that though.

I've been diabetic for two years now, and it's still not properly under control. If I slip up and have something with too much sugar it makes me feel like shit.

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Weirdly (sugar) same time it can save your life as a diabetic. 

Being a diabetic is weird. 

Found a new diet which seems to be working, though dealing with some shit and fell off the wagon but I'm off alot now before Xmas so can get back on track and clear my head a bit. 

The guys I have been reading and watching are both type 1 diabetics and both scientists and say everything we have been told about the way to treat it is wrong. Low fat high carb vegan diet seems to be the right way, it's a complete contraindication to medical stuff your told which is keto or balanced. But they've linked fat cells to diabetes. 

True it can go too low as well as too high. Haven't heard about the low fat high carb thing though.

Just now, General Dryness said:

I've been diabetic for two years now, and it's still not properly under control. If I slip up and have something with too much sugar it makes me feel like shit.

What do you do for diet? 

I've read and tried both high fat low carb and vegan low fat high carb. 

The vegan has been far far better without the issue of long term potential trouble with high fat. 

I can link you to a podcast with them if you are interested

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

True it can go too low as well as too high. Haven't heard about the low fat high carb thing though.

I never push any approach on someone as we are all different but it's worth a watch and the two weeks I stayed on top of this and followed it was the best results I have had in the 4 years I have dealt with it. I found the high protein/fat left me really hungry a few days a week and having to take fibre husk to make sure I was going to the loo. But the vegan one makes things easier as I'm not hungry at all. My long term plan will be to stay with the vegan thing but on one of my days off just to drop that to a veggie day so I can enjoy a few things like cheese, diary etc on that day then back on board the next day. Stops me craving certain things like butter

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lee909 said:

What do you do for diet? 

I've read and tried both high fat low carb and vegan low fat high carb. 

The vegan has been far far better without the issue of long term potential trouble with high fat. 

I can link you to a podcast with them if you are interested

I don't eat as well as I should, but we tend to have balanced meals, not too much processed stuff. Biscuits are my downfall, the beautiful tasty bastards. Need to moderate a bit better there. I have problems with stress and anxiety too, which can knock the sugar levels about.

Appreciate the offer of the podcast, but I honestly don't think I could handle being vegan.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

I never push any approach on someone as we are all different but it's worth a watch and the two weeks I stayed on top of this and followed it was the best results I have had in the 4 years I have dealt with it. I found the high protein/fat left me really hungry a few days a week and having to take fibre husk to make sure I was going to the loo. But the vegan one makes things easier as I'm not hungry at all. My long term plan will be to stay with the vegan thing but on one of my days off just to drop that to a veggie day so I can enjoy a few things like cheese, diary etc on that day then back on board the next day. Stops me craving certain things like butter

Out of rep for today, so I owe you one. I'll have a watch of that cheers.

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Got a set at Costco but having lived with two different women who don’t understand knives since then I was thinking of treating myself with the divorce money. 

Sounds good, mate.

If you fancy a treat, Google Scheepersbuilt. I bought a Bunko knife from him, with my Benefit money post chemo.

His stuff is very pricey, but a work of art, and nice to know you've got a one-off. Needs a lot more care than Global, because of the high carbon content, but I like using special blocks for sharpening, and Japanese Camellia oil after cleaning.

I go all Zen Samurai when doing it because it pisses my Mrs off so much. She's actually scared to use the knife cos its so sharp and revered.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

They are actually made by a black farmer called Wilfred Emmanuel Jones. He used to be a tv chef and is now a farmer. Runs a charity trying to get BAME kids involved in farming. He’s also a Tory so a nightmare for middle class liberals to opine on; a black foodie who does charitable works but is also a Tory. The sausages are nice though. 

So he's a paedo Tory who wants to trap black kids into a life of servitude on his slave farms.