You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

On 04/05/2020 at 14:31, Aw Geez said:

It's a gas burner at the back, so the heat comes from the stone base and the back, so you have to turn it a couple of times. Really easy though. The koda 16 has the burner extend up the sides too. If I use this one loads I'll upgrade to the 16 next summer. 

Where are we on this campaign?

3 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Still can't get strong bread flour near me because of coronacunt preppers. So my pizza bases are all over the place. Just 6/10's so far.

Normal flour will suffice ? You just need to use fucking loads. Are you proving the dough for a few hours before hand? I really want to be part of the quest. Lets get you to 10/10. 

16 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Still can't get strong bread flour near me because of coronacunt preppers. So my pizza bases are all over the place. Just 6/10's so far.

Try a little cream of tartar if you have to use all purpose flour - also let it rise once in the bowl but do not punch down, roll it straight away then give it 10 or 15 minutes to rise after rolling.

3 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

There are loads of good YouTube videos on making great dough, just search Neopolitan pizza dough, I tend to start with those with Italian accents but that isn't mandatory!

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Elite said:

I cooked some chilli con carne last week and put some in the freezer. Do I have to defrost it and then microwave it, or microwave it from frozen?

Ta.

It's advised to always defrost cooked meat before re-heating mate. Just use the defrost setting on your Microwave if you have one, otherwise I'd advise to thaw it overnight in the fridge.

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

I cooked some chilli con carne last week and put some in the freezer. Do I have to defrost it and then microwave it, or microwave it from frozen?

Ta.

Make it into chilli iced lollies. Delicious in this hot weather.  Refreshment with a kick!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TK421 said:

Mix in crunchy peanut butter with cornflakes to make homemade crunchy nut cornflakes.  Very nice but without the high sugar content. Little blobs of peanut butter mixed in, a dozen or so is about optimal.

This is the Foodie Thread, not the Simon Green tribute thread

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

18 hours ago, TK421 said:

Mix in crunchy peanut butter with cornflakes to make homemade crunchy nut cornflakes.  Very nice but without the high sugar content. Little blobs of peanut butter mixed in, a dozen or so is about optimal.

Most commercial peanut butter is loaded with sugar - about 10%, especially American style

53 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Made a new pizza base last night. Cooking it later. Hopefully better than the last lot. I did get yeast, although I still couldn't get bread flour so used plain flour.

If you knead in a half cup of your own urine the acidity in the urine keeps the dough together during cooking and stops it crumbling and falling apart as it bakes.

I've got a feeling I may have mentioned Felicity Cloakes recipe using cold fermented dough. It takes longer (you have to plan ahead) and it does work with plain flour. The higher the protein content of your flour though, the better the dough.

The big advantage, especially when you've got dodgy ancient wrists like me, is that no kneading is required, time does the job for you. It really is easy and makes brilliant pizza dough.

500 g flour, 1.5 tsp yeast, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Mix together in a bowl and stir in water 300 to 350ml depending on the flour. It needs to be a moist dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and stick it in the fridge. In 2 to 3 days it's will have risen and is ready to use (usable for up to a week) take what you want for your base out of the bowl and form a ball on a REALLY well floured surface, it's as sticky as buggery. Leave to prove for an hour flatten it and use it.

If you're using fresh yeast, crumble it into some of the water and make a slurry with it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I've got a feeling I may have mentioned Felicity Cloakes recipe using cold fermented dough. It takes longer (you have to plan ahead) and it does work with plain flour. The higher the protein content of your flour though, the better the dough.

The big advantage, especially when you've got dodgy ancient wrists like me, is that no kneading is required, time does the job for you. It really is easy and makes brilliant pizza dough.

500 g flour, 1.5 tsp yeast, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Mix together in a bowl and stir in water 300 to 350ml depending on the flour. It needs to be a moist dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and stick it in the fridge. In 2 to 3 days it's will have risen and is ready to use (usable for up to a week) take what you want for your base out of the bowl and form a ball on a REALLY well floured surface, it's as sticky as buggery. Leave to prove for an hour flatten it and use it.

If you're using fresh yeast, crumble it into some of the water and make a slurry with it.

Somethings certainly risen

FelicityCloake512x-300x300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...