You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Guest Pistonbroke
24 minutes ago, R BENO said:

I work with a few Indian fellas and they say they use a hell of a lot more spices in curries than all the recipies you get in books etc. Not neccessarily to give more heat just flavour.

That's the point mate. Spices don't mean heat unless you are adding Chillies etc. Most spices are just for flavour, and the more the better. All about balance though and what you prefer on a personal level. Before I moved abroad and got into cooking I was like your typical Brit who thought spices were made up of just Salt and Pepper. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

That's the point mate. Spices don't mean heat unless you are adding Chillies etc. Most spices are just for flavour, and the more the better. All about balance though and what you prefer on a personal level. Before I moved abroad and got into cooking I was like your typical Brit who thought spices were made up of just Salt and Pepper. 

Exackerly.

The heat comes from the amount of chillies added. Cumin, coriander, turmeric and so on are not hot.

Don't buy ground spices unless they're ground in the shop on the spot. Ground spices lose most of their flavor in days, it's all to do with oxidation and surface area. Get a cheap coffee grinder and grind your own, but don't use it for coffee as well. Clean it by grinding a bit of crusty bread. Don't try to grind turmeric though, its like gravel. Use fresh turmeric and have  nice yellow kitchen gear.

Many years ago Madras Curry was a very hot tomato based sauce. Now most places I've been to in Australia and Vietnam, even run by Indian  chefs, serve a mild coconuty thing more like a korma. Ones I ate in Madras and ones using my old recipe books are certainly nothing like what is served up as a Madras nowadays.

6 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Many years ago Madras Curry was a very hot tomato based sauce. Now most places I've been to in Australia and Vietnam, even run by Indian  chefs, serve a mild coconuty thing more like a korma. Ones I ate in Madras and ones using my old recipe books are certainly nothing like what is served up as a Madras nowadays.

A madras where I'm from is still hot and not a korma.

Guest Pistonbroke
11 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Yeah, my mother was born in Madras (Anglo Indian) and moved to the Uk when she was 18 to study and then work in Durham University. She couldn't believe the shit that was passed off in the UK for a curry. It's the same for Chinese food etc. Speak to them and they say they don't eat the stuff in general what they make for us. 

On 06/05/2020 at 23:22, R BENO said:

I work with a few Indian fellas and they say they use a hell of a lot more spices in curries than all the recipies you get in books etc. Not neccessarily to give more heat just flavour.

When I make daal I at least double the spices of the recipe

• Upvote 1

On 07/05/2020 at 13:24, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah, my mother was born in Madras (Anglo Indian) and moved to the Uk when she was 18 to study and then work in Durham University. She couldn't believe the shit that was passed off in the UK for a curry. It's the same for Chinese food etc. Speak to them and they say they don't eat the stuff in general what they make for us. 

Italians are the same. We make spaghetti bolognese with loads of sauce. In Italy its dry as fuck. They think we are mental. I hate them. 

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Italians are the same. We make spaghetti bolognese with loads of sauce. In Italy its dry as fuck. They think we are mental. I hate them. 

Yeah you can also see pools of sauce on pizza rather than a thick layer of yellow cheese covering everything

17 minutes ago, Remmie said:

First go at making an authentic Tortilla/Spanielish Omelette, pretty pleased with it

IMG_20200509_135108.jpg

IMG_20200509_135114.jpg

It’s the inside that denotes authenticity. Needs to still be oozing egg. Show us yer ooze!!!

I’ve always thought drinking beer and eating BBQ everyday in the sunshine would be leaving the dream.

3 days in and I’m giving up.

This is pretty much me on my sofa right now. I’m envious of his nappy. 

23C3ABB4-CFEC-45BC-8252-2D5A4345C69F.gif

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

First go at making an authentic Tortilla/Spanielish Omelette, pretty pleased with it

IMG_20200509_135108.jpg

IMG_20200509_135114.jpg

Sorry, Remmie, but that reminds me of toe fungus when it’s grown out of control.

• 2 weeks later...