You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

No bad thing. 

I have plenty of days meat free. 

Only vegan stuff I'm not keen on is the non dairy stuff. Couldn't be doing without butter, Yoghurt. It's just too high card for me. 

Doing a similar thing in some ways. Sorting to go back to gym. I work a 7/4-7/3 working shift so plan is gym and good food work days. Mostly soup, low carb shake and a bit of porridge to keep me full overnight. 

Then enjoy my days off with decent food and what I want days iff

I can't stand the vegan cheese but other than that I'm fine really. Flora Light is vegan now as standard and its as good as ever. Most people don't even know its now vegan. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The mind of a chef

PBS 5 season series with various chefs. Really good and worth a watch. 

Just about to buy a shit load of new books and need some modertly priced knives if anyone has any suggestions. 

Don't buy a set of knives because there'll invariably be some in there that you won't use. You won't need a boning knife if you don't do much meat, or a filleting knife unless you're buying whole fish. Better to buy them individually. A set of knives all the same brand looks nice, but its overkill for home use. And if it's a cheap set, they'll be shit.

Spend a decent amount on a chef's knife or a santoku as that's the one you'll use the most, then much less on a utility knife, a serrated bread knife, and a paring knife for veg. A palette knife is handy too, as is a steel. Go to a proper kitchen supply shop and ask questions, tell them what kind of cooking you'll be doing and they'll tell you what you need. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Don't buy a set of knives because there'll invariably be some in there that you won't use. You won't need a boning knife if you don't do much meat, or a filleting knife unless you're buying whole fish. Better to buy them individually. A set of knives all the same brand looks nice, but its overkill for home use. And if it's a cheap set, they'll be shit.

Spend a decent amount on a chef's knife or a santoku as that's the one you'll use the most, then much less on a utility knife, a serrated bread knife, and a paring knife for veg. A palette knife is handy too, as is a steel. Go to a proper kitchen supply shop and ask questions, tell them what kind of cooking you'll be doing and they'll tell you what you need. 

I love my Santoku knives,  I have a large and small one and use those 2 for 90% of my chopping.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

I love my Santoku knives,  I have a large and small one and use those 2 for 90% of my chopping.

Its horses for courses mate, if you prefer an up and down motion (fnar fnar) when you're chopping, santokus are the ones for you. Whereas if you like a rocking motion, a chef's knife is the one as it has the curve along the cutting edge.

Been working a few extra shifts last couple of months and just bought a load of cookbooks to get started on in the new year. Been filling up the spice cupboard last few days too, just a trip into London left to the big Chinese supermarkets and some of the Arab/Turkish and Indian areas for a few special bits. 

Anyway my Xmas gifts to myself

Screenshot_20191211_223521.jpg

Screenshot_20191211_223738.jpg

Screenshot_20191211_223709.jpg

Screenshot_20191211_223629_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 08/12/2019 at 01:17, Lee909 said:

The mind of a chef

PBS 5 season series with various chefs. Really good and worth a watch. 

Just about to buy a shit load of new books and need some modertly priced knives if anyone has any suggestions. 

What channel is that on mate? 
Sounds right up my street. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

What channel is that on mate? 
Sounds right up my street. 

Its a PBS production on Netflixs

Just finished all 5 series it was brilliant, really inspiring stuff and had me buying a few of the chefs books, David Chow, Sean Brick, Joe Beef and Edward Lee

Its narrated by Anthony Bourdain