You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I went with Lifey’s Yorkshire recipe.

250C on the fan forced oven. Banged the batter in as quick as I could. Worst I’ve ever made.

My recipe is a bit more liquid

4oz plain flour

2 eggs

1/4 pint milk

S&P

I rarely bother with the standing malarkey.

Did you brown the sausages before adding them to the tin because if they were cold it’d bring the batter temperature right down.

And the only other difference I can see is that you said you had the oven at 250.

I have a fan oven too and cook mine at Gas 8 equivalent 180 but I’m not sure that’d stop your batter rising

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The sausages were fine. The batter, a biscuit.

Unhelpful hint #437

Equal amounts of milk, egg and flour. Mix the eggs and milk and then add the sifted flour. Mix it well to get rid of any lumps and leave it in the fridge for at least an hour.

Set your oven to Cols default (incinerate), hot as you can get it. Put you tin with dripping or lard in the oven  until it starts smoking. Take the tin out of the oven, pour the batter in and drop the sausages in. Back in the oven and watch it grow.

I did James Martins recipe for Yorkshire puddings yesterday 

- 8 oz flour

- 8 eggs 

- 1 pint of milk

oven on 220, heat up a bit of lard in the bottom of the trays. Pour the mixture in (I’d done it the day before) after 30 mins turn down to 180 for ten more mins. 

They were epic. 

Best tip I can give is to do them before you’re cooking anything else. 

Meat or potatoes in in the oven will massively reduce the temperature of the oven. 

It’s so so much easier to make them in advance andheat to go with the roast. 

Never open the the oven door! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Best tip I can give is to do them before you’re cooking anything else. 

Meat or potatoes in in the oven will massively reduce the temperature of the oven. 

It’s so so much easier to make them in advance andheat to go with the roast. 

Never open the the oven door! 

That’s exactly what I did (albeit on his recommendation). Did them in the morning and then stuck them back in whilst the chicken* was resting.  

*ive said chicken so all the poor people can relate, it was obviously peacock. 

• Upvote 1