You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The central issue with this case is the proportionality of the punishment. Proportionality is a central feature of sports disciplinary disputes and arguments about proportional punishments are a speciality of a number of sports lawyers. If we didn't use one then that's probably added at least 3 games to the ban.

If that is right someone is seriously incompetent. There is zero chance that Chelsea failed Terry in that respect.

Well we've no way of knowing that unless someone gets some inside info on what went on.

I'd be amazed if we didn't at least consult legal professionals on this especially after what happened last year.

If we didn't. Then I just give up.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were jailed for 4 months for walking on red I doubt your newly wed wife would think you were the cunt Johnny.

Perspective please.

I've got perspective, and I'm as annoyed as anyone with the ridiculous severity of the ban, but I'm also getting a bit pissed off with people calling Ayre and/or FSG cunts when Suarez is the tit who bit a player and also the tit who decided to not appeal it.

I see more threads abusing everyone else accept for the bellend who caused all this shite. I'm just getting fed up with all the outside crap our club has to deal with. But I'm also fucked off watching our fans blame everyone else baring the fucking tit who caused all this shite in the first place. Yes, the FA has screwed us yet again. But guess who's to blame? I'll give you a clue; it's not Ayre, or FSG, or even Rafa. You want to blame anyone, then blame Suarez for acting like a prick. The FA deserve abuse for being a bunch of xenophobic twats, but there's only one person to blame for all this mess, and that's the fella who's going to be unquestionably leaving in the summer.

We need perspective, but that perspective is where we actually accept who the real villain is in this piece, and it's the gobshite who bit another player. The FA are a close second though.

The reason there was no appeal is that an appeal could only have succeeded if there was evidence that the FA Panel had misapplied the relevant rules (they didn't), that they were biased or partial in some way, or had acted in such a way that no reasonable Panel could have reached the conclusion they did. So no grounds.

I've got perspective, and I'm as annoyed as anyone with the ridiculous severity of the ban, but I'm also getting a bit pissed off with people calling Ayre and/or FSG cunts when Suarez is the tit who bit a player and also the tit who decided to not appeal it.

I see more threads abusing everyone else accept for the bellend who caused all this shite. I'm just getting fed up with all the outside crap our club has to deal with. But I'm also fucked off watching our fans blame everyone else baring the fucking tit who caused all this shite in the first place. Yes, the FA has screwed us yet again. But guess who's to blame? I'll give you a clue; it's not Ayre, or FSG, or even Rafa. You want to blame anyone, then blame Suarez for acting like a prick. The FA deserve abuse for being a bunch of xenophobic twats, but there's only one person to blame for all this mess, and that's the fella who's going to be unquestionably leaving in the summer.

We need perspective, but that perspective is where we actually accept who the real villain is in this piece, and it's the gobshite who bit another player. The FA are a close second though.

You are pissed of Suarez did not appeal?

Please Johnny, not even someone like you believe that shite.

I knew exactly what would happen yesterday when I saw that shite from the club, there are no excuses for it they are spineless cowards.

Do you think the mancs would let this one slide? Not a chance in hell.

Suarez did a mistake in a match situation when the adrenaline was running high, he did not hurt anyone, he was not close to hurting anyone he just did something unusual and the houllier than you brigade have been up in arms about it since, its fuckin pathetic and so are those of our fans who blame Suarez for a situation created by a fucked up society.

Any mention of the lack of foresight from those running the club? A player who has certain personality flaws, when does the club become responsible for him? Or is it better to allow things to fester and keep walking the tightrope?

The club has already hung him out to dry in having failed to defend him from the charge of racist abuse and have failed to manage him properly since.

We continue to stumble from one farce to another because those in charge are completely out of their depth.

Nobody is saying Suarez didn't deserve to be punished, Johnny. But people want equality of justice. Plenty of players do things that get them punished, but you don't see the mob or the fucking Prime Minister weighing in, and*the*FA do not treat them differently to others. Not so with Suarez. And if we'd have fought our corner during the Evra affair it's unlikely they'd have arse-raped us this time. So yes, Ayre does bare some responsibility I'm afraid. He has no idea how to run us as a football club and is not fit for purpose. And as FSG haven't sussed that yet they're not doing much better.

Sir Alex Ferguson compares Luis Suárez case with Eric Cantona ban

Sir Alex Ferguson has said Liverpool are right to feel aggrieved over the length of Luis Súarez's ban. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images

Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested Liverpool will be glad they did not ban Luis Suárez themselves before the Football Association's 10-game suspension for the striker, with the Scot claiming the governing body cannot be trusted.

Ferguson pointed to how Eric Cantona was prohibited from playing for nine months by the FA for kicking a Crystal Palace fan in 1995 having allegedly first promised Manchester United that a club ban would suffice.

Speaking before Suárez decided on Friday to accept the 10-match tariff for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, Ferguson said: "I think back to Cantona and I have to say that a nine-month ban doesn't equate to a 10-match, does it? I can understand how Liverpool are aggrieved at it, I must say that. I keep going back to [Cantona] – the FA done us that day, we would never allow that to happen now. I would never have listened to them in the first place saying that if 'you make your punishment we'll be happy'.

"We did that, gave him a four-month ban and then they turned round two or three days [later, and said]: 'Right, we're charging him.' We would never allow that to happen again at this club."

Asked if this was why Liverpool did not choose to levy their own ban on Suárez, Ferguson said: "I'll bet they're glad they didn't. It didn't work with us, that's for sure. David Davies [then the FA's spokesman] promised us that, if we did it, there'd be no more action taken – bloody hell. If you think about it – a nine-month ban, its quite incredible, I still can't get round that."

It is understood that Davies has always maintained that he was in no position to give assurances regarding any FA action over Cantona and that he never communicated directly with Ferguson during the episode.

Sir Alex Ferguson compares Luis Suárez case with Eric Cantona ban | Football | guardian.co.uk

Guest San Don

Sir Alex Ferguson has said Liverpool are right to feel aggrieved over the length of Luis Súarez's ban. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images

Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested Liverpool will be glad they did not ban Luis Suárez themselves before the Football Association's 10-game suspension for the striker, with the Scot claiming the governing body cannot be trusted.

Ferguson pointed to how Eric Cantona was prohibited from playing for nine months by the FA for kicking a Crystal Palace fan in 1995 having allegedly first promised Manchester United that a club ban would suffice.

Speaking before Suárez decided on Friday to accept the 10-match tariff for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, Ferguson said: "I think back to Cantona and I have to say that a nine-month ban doesn't equate to a 10-match, does it? I can understand how Liverpool are aggrieved at it, I must say that. I keep going back to [Cantona] – the FA done us that day, we would never allow that to happen now. I would never have listened to them in the first place saying that if 'you make your punishment we'll be happy'.

"We did that, gave him a four-month ban and then they turned round two or three days [later, and said]: 'Right, we're charging him.' We would never allow that to happen again at this club."

Asked if this was why Liverpool did not choose to levy their own ban on Suárez, Ferguson said: "I'll bet they're glad they didn't. It didn't work with us, that's for sure. David Davies [then the FA's spokesman] promised us that, if we did it, there'd be no more action taken – bloody hell. If you think about it – a nine-month ban, its quite incredible, I still can't get round that."

It is understood that Davies has always maintained that he was in no position to give assurances regarding any FA action over Cantona and that he never communicated directly with Ferguson during the episode.

Sir Alex Ferguson compares Luis Suárez case with Eric Cantona ban | Football | guardian.co.uk

So, from the horses mouth, we know how the mancs have got away with stuff no other club has, they fix it up with the fa first! Fucking incredible admission by ginsoak there.

I can understand the stick he was getting before and agreed with most of it but blaming him on this is just daft. There is nothing more we could have done. Suarez shouldnt have done what he done. Whether he hurt someone or not is a lame excuse. You dont go to sink your teeth into anyone on a football pitch. It was the height of stupidity.

Utterly risible post.

I honestly could not care less about Suarez trying to bite Ivanovic if I tried.

I found it comical and thats it, the outrage about it is not comical though its just sad and it tells a lot about the UK.

For once i agree with you.

It's fucking incredible. The inconsistency of the FA, and peoples opinions is fucking staggering.

The FA, paragon of impartiality.

For once i agree with you.

It's fucking incredible. The inconsistency of the FA, and peoples opinions is fucking staggering.

It's all media driven. I only work across the water, printed out that report (the Suarez one today, from the FA website), asked the other people in the office to read it. But no, we're still moaning scousers. Honestly, I'd brick up the tunnel.

Maybe I'm paranoid but if people from the Wirral view us like that (I've worked there the last ten years commuting), what do the rest of the country view us as.

That just shows how obsolete we at these days when Ferguson doesn't use the opportunity to stick the boot in but instead agrees with the club.