You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The human body... It's fucking shit.

Fugitive

3 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I found this very unsettling. So much stuff I didn’t know. 

https://www.intimina.com/blog/clitoris-anatomy/

I saw an interview on The Daily Show a while ago with a woman who has published loads of research she had to do, because she had problems with her Devil's Doorbell and when she went to see a doctor, she found out that doctors were pretty clueless, because the medical literature barely existed.

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I saw an interview on The Daily Show a while ago with a woman who has published loads of research she had to do, because she had problems with her Devil's Doorbell and when she went to see a doctor, she found out that doctors were pretty clueless, because the medical literature barely existed.

'Devil's Doorbell?' Great euphemism.

10 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Considering we need teeth to chew food, you'd think that they'd be a bit more fucking tough, and less painful when things go wrong, or that you'd be able to grow new ones. I only have to look at a Mars bar or a tangerine and holes develop in my teeth. 

I think teeth are a sign we are living beyond our design life. No problem until you hit your 50s then they fall apart. Mine are like David Bowie’s pre treatment. 

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Considering we need teeth to chew food, you'd think that they'd be a bit more fucking tough, and less painful when things go wrong, or that you'd be able to grow new ones. I only have to look at a Mars bar or a tangerine and holes develop in my teeth. 

I don't think a million years of evolution could have adequately prepared human teeth for the invention of Mars bars.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Why is childbirth so painful and dangerous?

I read a theory that the most important invention in human history was the humble sling. This enabled women to carry their babies rather than being stuck in 1 place for years and hence we could migrate out of Africa.  Babies in turn could be bigger so pregnancy lasted longer and they were born with big heads they could contain bigger brains. 

Overall I think its like body temperature, childbirth is at the very limit of what the body can stand so as to enable bigger babies.

Similarly Our bodies are kept very hot to discourage fungal infections. This is why a tiny temperature increase of < 10% can kill you. 

Occasionally it goes wrong for the poor mother but the net effect on the gene pool of big babies is positive. 

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm 56 years old and I still haven't figured out a comfortable way of arranging my arms when I lie on my side.

I find I can only do so on one side. It's a source of constant frustration that something seemingly so simple is utterly beyond me. 

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm 56 years old and I still haven't figured out a comfortable way of arranging my arms when I lie on my side.

Assuming your lying on your right you put your right arm under the pillow at a right angle then your left arm over, also at a right angle but slightly lower with your left fist touching your right elbow. 

Tomorrow we will do subtractions. 

• Like 1

Toes. Mainly when stubbing your toe. The pain doesn't tally up with the force of impact. I can clip my toe with the slightest impact on the table and it fucking kills. About an hour ago I slammed it into our oak coffee table very hard, hopped onto the sofa expecting to be in agony and nothing. 

42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Assuming your lying on your right you put your right arm under the pillow at a right angle then your left arm over, also at a right angle but slightly lower with your left fist touching your right elbow. 

Tomorrow we will do subtractions. 

My right arm goes dead if I do that for too long.

On 15/01/2022 at 18:32, Section_31 said:

It does amaze me how soft our bodies are compared to other animals, dogs drink dirty water and not a Bob Geldof cause celebre in sight, they can eat raw chickens for fun, whereas I only have to come within two inches of some undercooked rice and it's shitsville.

Depends what’s been fed to the dog since it was born. There’s a very good reason why my dog is on a dry food only diet. 

Saccadic Masking

Your eyes are shit and your brains are shitter, if you move your eyes too fast your brain tries to filter out the blurry images it's being sent and merges the 'useable' images, if something occurs within one of those saccades you effectively miss out on it happening.

A common example is if you're at a junction and look right and left quickly before pulling out and a car/bike that appeared further away is now closer than you expected it's because your vision has shut down and your brain is trying to kill you.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Saccadic Masking

Your eyes are shit and your brains are shitter, if you move your eyes too fast your brain tries to filter out the blurry images it's being sent and merges the 'useable' images, if something occurs within one of those saccades you effectively miss out on it happening.

A common example is if you're at a junction and look right and left quickly before pulling out and a car/bike that appeared further away is now closer than you expected it's because your vision has shut down and your brain is trying to kill you.

Absolutely. Cars/bikes don’t actually move it’s your eyes and brain dragging them onto your bonnet 

If nobody is watching you drive your car won’t move. Think about it. Who is watching?