You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think I'm going to get a mac mini and I'm not sure what one to go for. I'm basically going to be hooking it up to my TV and streaming stuff and downloading XMBC that people are talking about. I doubt I'll be doing much more beyond that other than browsing the net a bit and maybe storing some stuff on it. I don't mind paying for the dearer one, but is it worth is or will the cheaper one do the same job for me?

Anyone got one of these or knows more about them?

3 Options below:

£499.99

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

4GB memory

500GB hard drive1

Intel HD Graphics 4000

OS X Mountain Lion

£679.00

2.3GHz Mac mini

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

4GB memory

1TB hard drive1

Intel HD Graphics 4000

OS X Mountain Lion

£849.00

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

4GB memory

Two 1TB hard drives1

Intel HD Graphics 4000

OS X Mountain Lion

OS X Server

Guest davelfc

I've been considering this too, luckily I can swing the education discount (daughter) so in the not too distant future I think I'd get the cheapest model.

It's not too difficult to upgrade the memory and the hard drive and you'll have a pretty decent spec machine. If all it's going to do is run xbmc then why go for the more expensive cpu, the Apple TV can cope so why shouldn't an i5.

go for the i5 and add an extra 4GB yourself - it couldn't be easier' date=' and it will save you tons of money if you do it yourself. That machine is easily powerful enough to do all you're asking of it.[/quote']

It might not be easy for me to do! I am edging towards the cheaper one as I can't really see any benefit for me with the dearer one apart from added storage space.

Thanks for the replies.

It might not be easy for me to do! I am edging towards the cheaper one as I can't really see any benefit for me with the dearer one apart from added storage space.

Thanks for the replies.

I swear, it couldnt be easier

see Dave's post above. Don't even need a screwdriver.

Guest ShoePiss
How easy is it to hook this up to a surround sound system? I'm going to have a PS3, virgin TiVo box, 3d Blu Ray player and this mini mac so what's the best thing to get decent sound with them all, surround sound system or a soundbar?

The best thing would be to have an AV receiver and have it handle it via HDMI, the audio would be much better than connected via 3.5mm.

Guest ShoePiss

I'd swerve that LG system mate, it only has 3 hdmi inputs, looks like you need 4. If that's your budget for this I think it would better to get a decent a/v receiver and work your way to a 7.1 system over time, I mean maybe start off with a couple of bookshelf speakers and the receiver then get the sub, rear and surround later.

I'd swerve that LG system mate' date=' it only has 3 hdmi inputs, looks like you need 4. If that's your budget for this I think it would better to get a decent a/v receiver and work your way to a 7.1 system over time, I mean maybe start off with a couple of bookshelf speakers and the receiver then get the sub, rear and surround later.[/quote']

I was thinking of putting my PS3 in my bedroom now because I hardly ever play any games on it nowadays and the mac should have everything else covered.

I can afford a dearer one though, so you're probably right and I might look for one with more HDMI inputs for any future needs. Better safe than sorry I suppose!

I've got a 7.1 av system - had it for 5 years or so' date=' and wouldn't swap it for anything. Piss is right though - you'll need 4 HDMI inputs, and try and get one with Airplay and wireless.

Try Richer Sounds - if there's one near you you can try before you buy.[/quote']

There's one by the bombed out church in town, might pop in tomorrow.

I decided to go with that LG one and just play my Blu Rays through my PS3. As an aside, I also nearly put the fella in Richer Sounds through his shop window. I phoned the cunt and said I would be getting the train home and was the LG receiver too heavy and bulky to carry. He assured me it wasn't. Walked to fucking Berry street from the docks and it was massive and weighed a ton. Managed to struggle to Central station with it then got a taxi home from Old Roan.

Anyway, I've got this getting delivered tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-47LM620T-47-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007IYW3KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367001097&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+47lm620t

81qQz4VZRUL._AA1500_.jpg

Got the LG receiver

31alWZm87fL._SL500_.jpg

And also picked up the Mini Mac and wireless keyboard and mouse. Can't wait to get it all set up tomorrow when I get my telly.

Got it all set up over the weekend, everything is working fine but I didn't have a chance to touch the Mac until last night.

Can't get XBMC to open on it. I've downloaded it and dragged it to applications on the Mac; the icon is there but it simply won't open when I click on it. I've tried all kinds, reinstalled it and everything but it just won't open.

Obviously something I'm doing wrong but I'm getting pissed off with it and I'm tempted to take the thing back. I might start a thread on it actually.

Got it all set up over the weekend' date=' everything is working fine but I didn't have a chance to touch the Mac until last night.

Can't get XBMC to open on it. I've downloaded it and dragged it to applications on the Mac; the icon is there but it simply won't open when I click on it. I've tried all kinds, reinstalled it and everything but it just won't open.

Obviously something I'm doing wrong but I'm getting pissed off with it and I'm tempted to take the thing back. I might start a thread on it actually.[/quote']

You did double-click on the .dmg file first didn't you? See if it's still in your downloads file and try it from there. It's after the install that you drag it into the apps area.

You did double-click on the .dmg file first didn't you? See if it's still in your downloads file and try it from there. It's after the install that you drag it into the apps area.

I'm in work now so just going off memory I downloaded it from the website which put a file in my downloads.

I double clicked that which brought a box up saying installing then put an icon on my desktop then I clicked the icon which brought up the drag and install thing. Dragged that in, clicked on XBMC in my applications and nothing at all happens.

I know I'm doing something wrong I just don't know what!