You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Streaming internet to non smart tv

Guest San Don

In reply to the OP a lad I used to work with is behind this ( in Dutch mainly but translates OK)

The Little Black Box The Little Black Box - De ultime multimedia speler

which would be another solution . Don't blame me if it is shite but it looks pretty good .

More techy info here

TheLittleBlackBox - XBMC for the masses - J1nx .:Hackable Gadgets:.

This looks excellent.

I assume it will just need a hdmi lead and its ready to go if wanting to appeal to the mass market and idiots like me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard of xbmc until I read this thread the other day.

I installed the hub thingy, and hub wizard. All handy enough. Then last night I was able to watch Silver Linings play book in hd on my TV.

Fucking brilliant piece of kit. Delighted with it. The steam was perfect, no problems what so ever.

Tonight's viewing will be Argo, in hd of course :-D

Cheers lads

I never heard of xbmc until I read this thread the other day.

I installed the hub thingy' date=' and hub wizard. All handy enough. Then last night I was able to watch Silver Linings play book in hd on my TV.

Fucking brilliant piece of kit. Delighted with it. The steam was perfect, no problems what so ever.

Tonight's viewing will be Argo, in hd of course :-D

Cheers lads[/quote']

Its very good but has its problems with older laptops like mine and internet connections with low speed connections, again like mine.

There are numerous options to watch tv and films but if you have a low speed internet connection its still a bit of a pain getting them to load without stopping every five minutes.

Try here

Noobroom support

Thanks cloggy, it appears there was a problem with noobroom itself....seems to be working fine now

I can echo the above comments about XBMC it is fantastic, the quality on some of the movies is great.

I even used it to stream the Liverpool match vs reading on saturday and although the picture quality wasnt brilliant the stream didnt buffer once

I guess all the add ons, the xbmc hub adds on are the best? Are there any it doesnt add on that are worth trying out aswell?

Sorry if im being really stupid but how do you get the live streaming for the footy on this? Where do you search for this??

The add ons, xbmc hub, has programs inside which link to the sites that show the footy such as wiziwig or firstrow sports.

It does involve a bit of messing, remember to configure and enable the add ons first.

Maybe somebody else can help you better than me.

Can someone tell me how to use this XMBC to get sports etc on my tv?

It is a normal tv but I have an ipad and a very nifty laptop

Can you connect the laptop to tv with HDMI lead?

If so download here

Downloads | XBMC

Install XBMChub as earlier in thread

Instantly Configure XBMC on your Windows Computer using the XBMCHUB Wizard for Windows | XBMC HUB

You can put it on an iPad if it is jailbroken but I think you would need an Apple TV to mirror it to the tv. If you had an Apple TV you would jailbreak that instead of course so pointless. You can watch on the iPad though.

If you have a half decent android phone with hdmi out then you could probably use that.

You can put it on an iPad if it is jailbroken but I think you would need an Apple TV to mirror it to the tv. If you had an Apple TV you would jailbreak that instead of course so pointless. You can watch on the iPad though.

If you have a half decent android phone with hdmi out then you could probably use that.

You can buy a HDMI converter to plug in the iPad and the connect the iPad direct to tv via the HDMI cable. I tried this and it got a bit messy. When connected, you would get the iPad displayed on tv, but (may have been a limitation on my tv) it didn't fill the full screen. If I watched Netflix on iPad through tv then full screen was used, if I then went to XBMC it could also use the full screen. I ended up buying the Pi then - I'd seen enough of XBMC to see what it could do and figured out the Pi would be better and also would then free up the iPad to allow me to browse/watch tv at same time.

OK my laptop has an HDMI out.

I will download XMBC and the addons during the weekend.

For some reason the laptop when connected vua HDMI does not fill up the entire TV screen. There is a gap of a couple of inches around the sides. It has an ATI graphics card

OK my laptop has an HDMI out.

I will download XMBC and the addons during the weekend.

For some reason the laptop when connected vua HDMI does not fill up the entire TV screen. There is a gap of a couple of inches around the sides. It has an ATI graphics card

Do you mean when xbmc is on or not?

If not,you can right click on the desktop for properties and screen options.

Thanks to all who have provided advice on this. after a bit of playing around i managed to get it working. Watched Wreck it Ralph with the missus and the picture was spot on. Only problem I had was the sound was not coming though the tv via the hdmi cable. Played with the audio settings but nothing worked. Is this a common problem or am i missing something?

Thanks to all who have provided advice on this. after a bit of playing around i managed to get it working. Watched Wreck it Ralph with the missus and the picture was spot on. Only problem I had was the sound was not coming though the tv via the hdmi cable. Played with the audio settings but nothing worked. Is this a common problem or am i missing something?

Only Wreck It Ralph?