You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Streaming internet to non smart tv

Guest San Don

Guest San Don

Righto. Seeing as we now have infinity 2 delivering 54MB download speed, it makes sense to watch more tinterweb stuff on the tv.

But, the tv is not a 'smart' tv. Its a 40 inch toshiba regza, is about 3 or 4 year old and has an hdmi socket. So, how do I set things up to watch the net through the tv.

Our sky box is an old one so has no HDMI connection. As Im subscribed to them bastards with multi room, I dont want to take BT's box of tricks either.

Home Hub 3 has plenty of LAN connections but would need some form of interface between it and tv to accept a LAN cable then HDMI cable from it to tv?

Apart from binning the tv and spending another fortune on a tv what's the best way to achieve this.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don
Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, or any number of TV boxes. Being an apple saddo, I use Apple TV and occasionally with my ipad or computer to mirror everything to it. My son uses a Pi to do essentially the same thing for half the price.

Ah right. So some form of set top box is the way to go. I like the sound of Raspberry Pi and will take a looksee.

Have a laptop under my TV running XBMC therefore access to all the football around the world, latest movies, tv series etc.

Run using a wireless keyboard/mouse or I could run it via the phone or Ipad.

AppleTV 1 or 2 have been jailbroken to run XBMC or stick it on a RaspberryPI (personally i don't think this is powerful enough) or maybe look at a Boxxee amongst many other devices.

Anyone paying extra for a TV cos its got 'Smart features' want to give their head a wobble.

What does xmbc do that things like streamtorrent doesntx

XBMC is a menu system that allows me to stream all the latest movies, football etc.

It isn't torrent based so no uploading anything to anyone.

XBMC is comparable to the likes of Netflix, Lovefilm etc but so, so, so much better.

XBMC is a menu system that allows me to stream all the latest movies, football etc.

It isn't torrent based so no uploading anything to anyone.

XBMC is comparable to the likes of Netflix, Lovefilm etc but so, so, so much better.

I have xbmc with navi-x and icefilms

But how do you get the football on there, do i need different add-ons?

San don have you got a VGA connection on the back of the tv? Thats how i do it, VGA cable straight from pc to the tv, easiest and cheapest way i think....

I have xbmc with navi-x and icefilms

But how do you get the football on there, do i need different add-ons?

San don have you got a VGA connection on the back of the tv? Thats how i do it, VGA cable straight from pc to the tv, easiest and cheapest way i think....

Google and install XBMCHub Wizard.

This will automatically install the best channels for you.

Once this is done correctly look for a channel installed called SportsDevil.

On this channel are sub channels such as wiziwig etc which run directly from within XBMC therefore giving you all the sports from around the world.

Have fun finding out which sub channel is best for you.

NoobRoom channel (which is installed by the fusion rep) is great for movies.

1Channel, IceFilms, ProjectFreeTV, TubePlus are all great for the latest American TV series obviously before they hit the UK.

VEVO, Digitially Imported etc good for the music tastes (although these tend to be aimed more and dance music fans).

Guest ShoePiss

Coop, is there a way of recording live streams? I've seen those PVR plugins but they all look like they're designed to record live tv via a tuner or something. I need something that can be programmed also otherwise it's of no use.

Also, do you know how to assign a keyboard stroke to the favourites button (star) in it? I've looked into it a bit but can't find what 'favourites' is called to assign it in the user keyboard.xml

The reason I ask that is because I have all channels from a website in favourites so I don't have to click video>addons>site etc

Sorry mate I can't help you.

I haven't looked into recording a stream due to if its a movie i just watch it again via the channel and football wise i just watch the match again either via MOTD or if its a Liverpool game then courtesy of the TV channel.

Or you can do this

Fusion: Easy Addon Installation for XBMC | XBMC HUB

Once you have this sorted ( possibly already done by XBMCHub ) then at step 14 of guide go to video/repositories/ noobroom.dk-xbmc-repaddon.zip . Install .

Then you need to enable it . So System/add-ons/get add-ons click on dk-xbmc...repository then video add-ons then Noobroom .

It should now be in video add-on section .

Or you can do this

Fusion: Easy Addon Installation for XBMC | XBMC HUB

Once you have this sorted ( possibly already done by XBMCHub ) then at step 14 of guide go to video/repositories/ noobroom.dk-xbmc-repaddon.zip . Install .

Then you need to enable it . So System/add-ons/get add-ons click on dk-xbmc...repository then video add-ons then Noobroom .

It should now be in video add-on section .

Good advice but i would dispute the use of the word 'easy' in the link.

Thanks cloggy

I have noobroom in my videos add on list, with all the others, but it doesnt seem to work?

I clicked on loads of the film links and it says "working" in the bottom right hand corner but then nothing happens?

Checked 1 channel and icefilms and most of the links there seem to work fine...

In reply to the OP a lad I used to work with is behind this ( in Dutch mainly but translates OK)

The Little Black Box The Little Black Box - De ultime multimedia speler

which would be another solution . Don't blame me if it is shite but it looks pretty good .

More techy info here

TheLittleBlackBox - XBMC for the masses - J1nx .:Hackable Gadgets:.