You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Much like Will Self's Brexit comment, 'not all people with dogs like that are gobshites, but all gobshites have dogs like that'. 

My uncle and cousins, proper gobshites, had about six Rottweilers which they kept in the back yard rain or shine, the yard was covered in dog shite and they  thought it was hilarious when the dogs barked at strangers and people shit themselves. 

Beyond that though, they didn't treat them like pets. Never in the house, never took them the park. They were just there for status and to intimidate.

• Upvote 1

I love how they've been described as 'doting parents'.

'The doting parents had no idea that throwing their baby into shark infested waters would end in such tragedy'.

Fucking arseholes bringing a creature like that into a house with a young child.

• Upvote 4

People get stupid over pets, and dogs in particular. They don't respect how dangerous they are. They think it's a member of the family. Something you can buy in a shop isn't a person. And anything with teeth like that and a bite force to match is a potential killer.

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Much like Will Self's Brexit comment, 'not all people with dogs like that are gobshites, but all gobshites have dogs like that'. 

this is pretty much spot on

One of the big problems is the worst(for want of a better word" breeds are always wanted by those that will be the worst owners for such breeds. I like many of these breeds personally but wont have one because i work long hours and it wouldn't be fair on the dog. If i had kids then i would probably look at other breeds. Big problem is most of these dogs are badly looked after,untrained and owned by fuckwits ith no clue how to look after them properly. I imagine the cheap cost and poor breeding practices don't help either

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Sadly, humans have created breeds that have violent instincts. No amount of photos of pit bulls in tutus will suppress that instinct. Everyone's dog "is fine" until one day it isn't. 

You should also never have a pet you couldn't kill with your bare hands if needs be. 

Well they are all bred from wolves so the hard part was creating breeds that didn’t want to bite faces off. 

Spot on. People with poisonous snakes don’t tend to let them live outside of a tank.  

Owner of a Stafford here.

She's the sweetest little thing you could ever wish to meet, although can be aloof unless you have a butty or a piece of chicken/beef. But, as sweet as she is, she is never left alone with our grandkids.

I've lived around Staffords since I was 6 months old, still have all my limbs and digits and have been nipped by puppies because they don't know any better until you train them. My mum and dad would never leave me alone with any of the dogs as a matter of safety to myself. When I spoke to her about it, her words were:

"Remember that these dogs, whilst being family members, are still animals. Children (often toddlers) sometimes have a habit of grabbing, pulling, nipping, scratching or winding up dogs and cats. If you hurt a dog, it can't say "Please stop that!", it's an animal and it's instinct is to either show teeth and growl or it will bite to prevent further stress or pain. You teach children to respect a dog or a cat and you never leave them together, unsupervised. It's common sense."

I was bitten by a Beagle at a dog show when I was 7, just walking past and put my hand out to stroke it and it bit me. Made a bit of a mess of my fingers, but as a child I thought all dogs were friendly. This particular one wasn't. Don't know why and will never know why. Bad move on my part.

The little girl being killed is absolutely tragic. It's a sad fact that she isn't the first and she certainly won't be the last. Never gets any less shocking when a child is killed in this manner.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Allowing a pit bull to play with a child is akin to leaving a loaded gun on a table during a kids party, you can bet your bottom dollar that sooner or later something terrible will happen.

Old friend of mine had one and it was a right cunt. Had it put to sleep in the end as it got out and killed their neighbours rabbit.

8 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Owner of a Stafford here.

She's the sweetest little thing you could ever wish to meet, although can be aloof unless you have a butty or a piece of chicken/beef. But, as sweet as she is, she is never left alone with our grandkids.

I've lived around Staffords since I was 6 months old, still have all my limbs and digits and have been nipped by puppies because they don't know any better until you train them. My mum and dad would never leave me alone with any of the dogs as a matter of safety to myself. When I spoke to her about it, her words were:

"Remember that these dogs, whilst being family members, are still animals. Children (often toddlers) sometimes have a habit of grabbing, pulling, nipping, scratching or winding up dogs and cats. If you hurt a dog, it can't say "Please stop that!", it's an animal and it's instinct is to either show teeth and growl or it will bite to prevent further stress or pain. You teach children to respect a dog or a cat and you never leave them together, unsupervised. It's common sense."

I was bitten by a Beagle at a dog show when I was 7, just walking past and put my hand out to stroke it and it bit me. Made a bit of a mess of my fingers, but as a child I thought all dogs were friendly. This particular one wasn't. Don't know why and will never know why. Bad move on my part.

The little girl being killed is absolutely tragic. It's a sad fact that she isn't the first and she certainly won't be the last. Never gets any less shocking when a child is killed in this manner.

We will have no beagle disparaging, here, pal.   

People generally have no idea what an APBT looks like. They tend to think huge, roided Ceberus looking fucker. The reality is they're about the same size as a border collie, and more Bruce Lee than body-builder build. Mine are the most loving dogs you could imagine. I'd never leave them alone with a kid though, or with another animal. Not because they're bloodthirsty demon dogs, but because even a one in a million chance is too much of a risk. How you could ever leave your own child unsupervised is beyond me. It's absolutely tragic and so easily avoided 

16 hours ago, the chimp said:

People generally have no idea what an APBT looks like. 

Agree with this

Anything that looks like a large staffie or even something like a Boerboel most people would straightaway declare is a pitbull. 

On 25/03/2022 at 07:36, Total Longo said:

We will have no beagle disparaging, here, pal.   

Aren't staffs known as the nanny dog? As said here before don't trust any dogs with kids and supervise.

One of my mates was bit in face by an alsation as a kid. Years later his parents bought his kid brother a staff. He pretended he was OK but we'd go round and he was like the guy from Friday night dinner with it. We went round pissed one night and dog fell asleep on his feet he forgot it was there and went and for a piss. Dog jumped up and he fell on couch covering his face, dog was baffled 

I like dogs but don't trust them until I know them, even then I'm wary.

As a kid in primary school when I was about 6 or 7 a dog came into the playground at break time and went loopy started chasing after kids, I was unfortunately caught up in it and it was jumping all over me, it was a black labrador sized crossbreed, I remember a dinner lady running over, picking me up and running over to the climbing frame with this dog going mental jumping up at me and her, I remember hanging on the monkey bars and it was still going for me, biting my ankle trying to drag me off the frame. I don't remember too much after that, I think the caretaker managed to chase the dog away and I was taken to hospital.

Luckily a number of puncture marks and scratches at the time but no lasting physical scars, just mental ones.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...