Quantcast
Scottish Independence, yay or nay? - Page 96 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Baltar

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Are Mook and Champ marching this afternoon?

Oh, goody, what am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Independence March in Glasgow. It’s ok, I know you’re off to the more important matter of Newcastle. I was just teasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An independent Scotland with EU membership will thrive post-Brexit as businesses across the UK will move north of the border. Good luck to wee Sturgeon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2019 at 19:09, Baltar said:

An independent Scotland with EU membership will thrive post-Brexit as businesses across the UK will move north of the border. Good luck to wee Sturgeon. 

Thats a fair point. It also has a good chance of hoovering up people and business from the North of England too. Not that great for those of us still stuck here though,but what has a Tory government ever done for the majority of its citizens anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SNP are snake oil salesmen. They know beyond a shadow of a doubt that living standards would fall in Scotland if it wasn't part of the Union, drastically, so they use EU membership as a carrot to bullshit people into thinking it wouldn't be the case. 

 

The EU has often been used like this, as a Deus Ex Machina to solve all the possible ills of a smaller country looking to punch above its weight, I remember the President of Georgia sat in front of an EU and NATO flag giving it billy big bollocks prompting Putin to march in and pull their pants down, during which the EU did....precisely nothing. 

 

The Scotts often hold up the Irish as an example of what can be achieved by nailing your colours to the EU mast but what is the Irish economy? It's basically Google in a tax-free office and Bono's Stetson. It was only a few years ago half the population under 25 had moved to Canada looking for jobs. 

 

The SNP are a one trick pony, they're a racist and nationalist party that's built their entire shtick around hating the English and holding them up as the bogey man. I couldn't give two shits if they're in the Union or not, it will have absolutely no impact on my life at all, the same probably can't be said for your average Scott though. Kiss those free universities, prescriptions and bridges goodbye I suspect - along with public sector jobs.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SNP are a shower of cunts but that post is a right load of bollocks.

 

And it's 'Scots'.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The SNP are snake oil salesmen. They know beyond a shadow of a doubt that living standards would fall in Scotland if it wasn't part of the Union, drastically, so they use EU membership as a carrot to bullshit people into thinking it wouldn't be the case. 

 

The EU has often been used like this, as a Deus Ex Machina to solve all the possible ills of a smaller country looking to punch above its weight, I remember the President of Georgia sat in front of an EU and NATO flag giving it billy big bollocks prompting Putin to march in and pull their pants down, during which the EU did....precisely nothing. 

 

The Scotts often hold up the Irish as an example of what can be achieved by nailing your colours to the EU mast but what is the Irish economy? It's basically Google in a tax-free office and Bono's Stetson. It was only a few years ago half the population under 25 had moved to Canada looking for jobs. 

 

The SNP are a one trick pony, they're a racist and nationalist party that's built their entire shtick around hating the English and holding them up as the bogey man. I couldn't give two shits if they're in the Union or not, it will have absolutely no impact on my life at all, the same probably can't be said for your average Scott though. Kiss those free universities, prescriptions and bridges goodbye I suspect - along with public sector jobs.  

 

Without the EU, Ireland would be absolutely fucked. The country in the 80's was exactly the same way Liverpool was. What fucked the Irish economy was the greed of politicians and the banks, nothing to do with the EU. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are forgetting that if Scotland play dirty on us by trying to syphon our businesses north of the border with the carrot of EU membership then all England needs to do is put a hard border with security checks between it and Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boss said:

People are forgetting that if Scotland play dirty on us by trying to syphon our businesses north of the border with the carrot of EU membership then all England needs to do is put a hard border with security checks between it and Scotland.

We won't be having another independence referendum anytime soon so you can probably chill out with the idle threats for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mook said:

We won't be having another independence referendum anytime soon so you can probably chill out with the idle threats for now.

No, i know. I hope you stay (if it did come to that), but it looks like the Tories are hellbent on splitting up the union through their sheer incompetence and scorched earth policy on everything they touch.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

 

Without the EU, Ireland would be absolutely fucked. The country in the 80's was exactly the same way Liverpool was. What fucked the Irish economy was the greed of politicians and the banks, nothing to do with the EU. 

Isnt this always the case!(Rhetorical question,of course.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland would do very well as an independent country but the shock of splitting up would fuck everything up for a generation before that

It's a truism that the Tories are cunts and Westminster are cunts but you can't untangle a 300 year old union and expect there to be no consequences

It's a fucking stupid idea for the same reason as Brexit is a fucking stupid idea - it's the 21st century, we want less borders not more

I'd like a European Federal Super state run by Germans, please

Jurgen for President

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mattyq said:

Scotland would do very well as an independent country but the shock of splitting up would fuck everything up for a generation before that

It's a truism that the Tories are cunts and Westminster are cunts but you can't untangle a 300 year old union and expect there to be no consequences

It's a fucking stupid idea for the same reason as Brexit is a fucking stupid idea - it's the 21st century, we want less borders not more

I'd like a European Federal Super state run by Germans, please

Jurgen for President

 

Jurgen Klinsmann? The economy would forever be taking a dive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 12:42, Section_31 said:

The SNP are snake oil salesmen. They know beyond a shadow of a doubt that living standards would fall in Scotland if it wasn't part of the Union, drastically, so they use EU membership as a carrot to bullshit people into thinking it wouldn't be the case. 

 

The EU has often been used like this, as a Deus Ex Machina to solve all the possible ills of a smaller country looking to punch above its weight, I remember the President of Georgia sat in front of an EU and NATO flag giving it billy big bollocks prompting Putin to march in and pull their pants down, during which the EU did....precisely nothing. 

 

The Scotts often hold up the Irish as an example of what can be achieved by nailing your colours to the EU mast but what is the Irish economy? It's basically Google in a tax-free office and Bono's Stetson. It was only a few years ago half the population under 25 had moved to Canada looking for jobs. 

 

The SNP are a one trick pony, they're a racist and nationalist party that's built their entire shtick around hating the English and holding them up as the bogey man. I couldn't give two shits if they're in the Union or not, it will have absolutely no impact on my life at all, the same probably can't be said for your average Scott though. Kiss those free universities, prescriptions and bridges goodbye I suspect - along with public sector jobs.  

I can't over how bad a post this is. The rhetoric within is exactly the same as what was deployed against Congress in India or the ANC in South Africa. But it's okay with the Jocks because Mars bar fritters or something. Really bad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Wasn't she supposed to be keeping out of it ?

 

Cameron and the Queen: Palace 'displeasure' over comments

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49756756

Nope she is entitled to a private opinion like everyone else, that pig fucker shouldn't have made it public is all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 18:07, Mook said:

The SNP are a shower of cunts but that post is a right load of bollocks.

 

And it's 'Scots'.

Careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2013 at 23:44, Anubis said:

Si, where do you stand on setting off a series of seismic charges north of Hadrian's Wall, severing Scotland from the mainland, and watching it float off into the Arctic Ocean?

 

I’ve probably posted this on the WoaW thread but this is exactly what my missus thought would happen if Scotland had voted for independence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Krankie drumming up the independence support for a referendum next year. I wouldn't blame them one bit for leaving. 

 

Nothing new from her really at the SNP conference but pretty much said if any other westminster party want SNP support in an election then they need to be on the side of a Scottish referendum vote as and when the SNP decide to have it. Obviously the Tories are against it. Corbyn has said it wouldn't be high on a Labour agenda. I'm not sure of the Lib Dem stance on it but Vigo the Carpathian scowled at Ian Blackford a few times yesterday in the commons. I'm sure she could be swayed by financial or personal career gain either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×