You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

All my family live in Edinburgh and all have had similar experiences

I've lived up here for 17 years & haven't been burgled, I've never had a bike though.

Having Stravinsky blaring out the stereo tends to scare gadgeys off too..

Have lived in Edinburgh for 23 years. Have never been burgled or know anyone that has. The amount of street crime and violence is pretty low and it feels safer than the cities that I know in England.

Glasgow on the other hand.....

(Is a fine city, if populated by a reasonable proportion of neds)

Have lived in or near Edinburgh for 23 years. Have never been burgled or know anyone that has. The amount of street crime and violence is pretty low and it feels safer than the cities that I know in England.

I've lived up here for 17 years & haven't been burgled, I've never had a bike though.

Having Stravinsky blaring out the stereo tends to scare gadgeys off too..

Have lived in Edinburgh for 23 years. Have never been burgled or know anyone that has. The amount of street crime and violence is pretty low and it feels safer than the cities that I know in England.

Apologies, I wasnt meaning to divert the thread

Just heard from a pretty reliable source that Alex Salmond will announce next week that he is standing down and handing SNP leadership over to Nicola Sturgeon no matter what the result of the referendum is.

Absolute masterstroke if true; a lot of people are planning to vote No purely because they can't stand him. Sturgeon is much more likeable and has barely put a foot wrong during the campaign; she's been much more visible up here than he has recently.

Yes to win still 11/4, Yes to get over 55% is 5/1... as Ray Winstone would say "Get on it boys!".

Just heard from a pretty reliable source that Alex Salmond will announce next week that he is standing down and handing SNP leadership over to Nicola Sturgeon no matter what the result of the referendum is.

Absolute masterstroke if true; a lot of people are planning to vote No purely because they can't stand him. Sturgeon is much more likeable and has barely put a foot wrong during the campaign; she's been much more visible up here than he has recently.

Yes to win still 11/4, Yes to get over 55% is 5/1... as Ray Winstone would say "Get on it boys!".

Really? No idea how that would play myself.

She does nothing for me and always comes across like a funny kind of half girl half woman dressed in old lady's clothes running around after him.

She does nothing for me and always comes

across like a funny kind of half girl half woman dressed in old lady's clothes running around after him.

Haha! I think she's probably the best politician in Britain myself but your description cracked me up. Not sure if I believe it myself; can't imagine Salmond turning down the chance to become the first leader of independent Scotland but he may think that winning the referendum is enough to secure his place in history and there's no doubt he's a shrewd operator and is fully aware he personally puts thousands off voting Yes.

Good article on Sturgeon here:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/05/nicola-sturgeon-salmond-deputy-brink-power

Guest Pistonbroke

The whole yes or no thing is boring me now. 

Yes=Shit for Scotland and the rest of the UK. 

No= shit for Scotland and the UK. 

We need anarchy....kill the Government and SD. 

The Quebec separatists pulled this little trick as well, they had two main men leading the campaign, one the Premier and the other a man who had a mythical status as he survived necrotizing fasciitis but lost a leg to it. The man is Lucien Bouchard, who stared out federalist and converted to the separatist side and was the leader of the equivalent of the SNP in Canada. Bouchard was way more popular that Parizeau. I know Salmond has studied the Quebec Referendum so it's not surprising that this move may be in the offering.

Have lived in or near Edinburgh for 23 years. Have never been burgled or know anyone that has. The amount of street crime and violence is pretty low and it feels safer than the cities that I know in England.

I spent 9 months in each city back to back.  The differences are startling.  

She does nothing for me and always comes across like a funny kind of half girl half woman dressed in old lady's clothes running around after him.

She looks like the archetypal weegie to me.  Someone who almost certainly has a bottle of buckie stashed away in her handbag.  

• Upvote 1

The Quebec separatists pulled this little trick as well, they had two main men leading the campaign, one the Premier and the other a man who had a mythical status as he survived

necrotizing fasciitis but lost a leg to it. The man is Lucien Bouchard, who stared out federalist and converted to the separatist side and was the leader of the equivalent of the SNP in Canada. Bouchard was way more popular that Parizeau. I know Salmond has studied the Quebec Referendum so it's not surprising that this move

may be in the offering.

From what I've read Salmond studied Quebec closely, met some of the pro-independence leaders and was very unimpressed; he thought they were promoting a kind of ethnic nationalism and has since made sure there was no hint of that within the Yes campaign here. I'm sure he will also have learned lessons from how the pro-independence side led in the polls just before the vote but then lost. Whatever you think of Salmond he is switched on and won't make the same mistakes the Quebec guys did.

BBC 1 tonight 10:20

Live at the Referendum

Glasgow's very own Kevin Bridges brings together four of the UK's top comedians to give their views on the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence. Recorded in front of a packed audience at Glasgow's Theatre Royal, Kevin introduces Hal Cruttenden, Jack Dee, Kerry Godliman and Frankie Boyle.

• Upvote 1

She is an outstanding politician. And makes mincemeat out of many more senior than her.

There has been no defining moment of this campaign yet but there will the stakes are too high for there not to be. Salmond announcing his standing down will win it for them. No doubt.

Rightly or wrongly Salmond is the Yes campaign. With a Yes vote being in reality an enormous leap of faith into the unknown I think him stepping down now would be a hugely unsettling move for many people

Rightly or wrongly Salmond is the Yes campaign. With a Yes vote being in reality an enormous leap of faith into the unknown I think him stepping down now would be a hugely unsettling move for many people

I don't agree Champ. I think it's a broad church of individuals, parties, interest groups and ideologies. Therein is it's strength

Tangentially, The Guardian is reporting a lead for the Yes campaign in the latest poll.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/06/scots-radical-new-deal-save-the-union...

The last paragraph in the Guardian article is interesting:

"Scotland's deputy first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, said her campaign's canvassing database showed a "significant shift" on the ground. She said: "What we're finding is that as people do make up their minds, they are more likely to be deciding in favour of yes."

That's absolutely the opposite to what most people (cynics, whatever) thought would happen. They thought that Scots' nationalistic fervour would be tempered by the harsh economic facts in their final analysis. That could still happen of course, but my perception is the same as Sturgeon's; voters are erring towards hope rather than fear as the election gets nearer.

The momentum is clearly towards an independent Scotland; it's tangible everywhere.

Always amazed it never happened years ago,theyVE had hardly any Tory MPs and been ruled by Eaton Crew for about 80% of living memory

Wish we could go with them or break away into 'Northern England' and make Liverpool Manchester Leeds Sheffield Hull Newcastle a horizontal line of power instead of being ruled by those Eaton bastards and eternal German benefit claimers in London

GO SCOTLAND!

• Upvote 2