You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Compared to the English,  the Scots spend about £1650 more per head on public services and raise about £300 less in taxes so they would be fucked without the Barnett formula subsidy. They wouldn’t have a currency, they would fail the fiscal tests to get back into Europe and they would need massive cuts in public spending to balance the books. It’s all a big fantasy whilst the actual problems get ignored.

They would have a currency. It’s called the ‘smackarooney’ Kevin Bridges boxed that off ages ago 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Compared to the English,  the Scots spend about £1650 more per head on public services and raise about £300 less in taxes so they would be fucked without the Barnett formula subsidy. They wouldn’t have a currency, they would fail the fiscal tests to get back into Europe and they would need massive cuts in public spending to balance the books. It’s all a big fantasy whilst the actual problems get ignored.

That lot in Westminster are doing a great job of balancing the books right enough.

10 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think they'd be fine eventually, countries like Denmark manage, but their quality of life would dip massively I suspect. An NHS and free university, toll-free bridges and the like are a lot to fund. Also, the oil industry is doomed. The SNP should be honest about it, independence will come with a price, many will think it's a price worth paying, but it'll be a price none the less.

4 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I'm assuming I'm not alone in wanting one of those?

And he's American so those big guns will be locked and loaded and he's probably got some sort of anti-aircraft device on the back. If anyone does a "6 items for the apocalypse thread" again I might have to re-think my selections. 

11 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah, I’ve been saying this for a while. The English have nothing to fear from the Scots breaking away, other than it being a shame to create more of a split between the two people. The idea they’re going to magically ‘inherit’ some of the British military assets is fantasy. They’ll also lose a fuck load of business/jobs that’ll have to relocate south. 

I totally get them saying ‘fuck off Tories, we don’t vote for this shit’, but much like Brexit it’s not worth it. Maybe it is to them, and if they desire ‘freedom’ (don’t we all feel so much more free now we’ve thrown off the shackles of EU dominance? No? Oh…) then have at it, but don’t think Britain will then play nice when it comes to military assets, business, trade, etc. We aren’t going to just hand everything over out of the goodness of our hearts. In fact, being the horrible little English cunts that we are, we will get cuntier and cuntier. For a start, they can take the blue shite off our flag. 

That’s it, I’m buying a bulldog. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I'm assuming I'm not alone in wanting one of those?

Yeah it's boss, especially if the guns are controlled by AI and they shoot fireworks at people independently, without your say so.

That's the same class of ship from under siege I think.

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I’ve been saying this for a while. The English have nothing to fear from the Scots breaking away, other than it being a shame to create more of a split between the two people. The idea they’re going to magically ‘inherit’ some of the British military assets is fantasy. They’ll also lose a fuck load of business/jobs that’ll have to relocate south. 

I totally get them saying ‘fuck off Tories, we don’t vote for this shit’, but much like Brexit it’s not worth it. Maybe it is to them, and if they desire ‘freedom’ (don’t we all feel so much more free now we’ve thrown off the shackles of EU dominance? No? Oh…) then have at it, but don’t think Britain will then play nice when it comes to military assets, business, trade, etc. We aren’t going to just hand everything over out of the goodness of our hearts. I’m fact, being the horrible little English cunts that we are, we will get cuntier and cuntier. For a start, they can take the blue shite off our flag. 

I think the Brexit comparison is a good one. I think in bleak economic times people look inward and kind of say "nothing can be worse than this", but it can.

In the present setup the scotts seem like they've got the best of both worlds, cash coming in from blighty but a devolved government that can keep them insulated to some extent from Tory depravity.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think the Brexit comparison is a good one. I think in bleak economic times people look inward and kind of say "nothing can be worse than this", but it can.

In the present setup the scotts seem like they've got the best of both worlds, cash coming in from blighty but a devolved government that can keep them insulated to some extent from Tory depravity.

Exactly, but these nationalistic arguments are powerful. If given a vote they’ll leave. I don’t see why they shouldn’t have one to be honest. But I’d want our government to be entirely focused on those left in the union with no regard for the welfare, safety/security, or prosperity of the leaving party. That’s a matter for them, not us. If we start diving up anything based on them wanting or needing something, we’ve gone mad. Obviously anything that can’t be moved from their land should be theirs or we should pay for it if we require use of it until we relocate. We should pull every bit of government business out that we can, etc. Not as punishment or whatever, but so it stays inside the country and benefits the people in the country. Otherwise, what’s the point in having a country? The idea of giving them frigates, planes, etc… get to fuck. They’re British Armed Forces property and should not be given over to some Scottish Military. And no way should we ever, ever have some fucking shared defence pact. There’s nothing in it for us. Scotland may or may not be able to go it alone, that’s a case for them to figure out, but we shouldn’t pretend like they offer anything to the UK in any significant way. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Exactly, but these nationalistic arguments are powerful. If given a vote they’ll leave. I don’t see why they shouldn’t have one to be honest. But I’d want our government to be entirely focused on those left in the union with no regard for the welfare, safety/security, or prosperity of the leaving party. That’s a matter for them, not us. If we start diving up anything based on them wanting or needing something, we’ve gone mad. Obviously anything that can’t be moved from their land should be theirs or we should pay for it if we require use of it until we relocate. We should pull every bit of government business out that we can, etc. Not as punishment or whatever, but so it stays inside the country and benefits the people in the country. Otherwise, what’s the point in having a country? The idea of giving them frigates, planes, etc… get to fuck. They’re British Armed Forces property and should not be given over to some Scottish Military. And no way should we ever, ever have some fucking shared defence pact. There’s nothing in it for us. Scotland may or may not be able to go it alone, that’s a case for them to figure out, but we shouldn’t pretend like they offer anything to the UK in any significant way. 

The majority of Scottish people either aren't arsed about independence or against it.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I totally get them saying ‘fuck off Tories, we don’t vote for this shit’, but much like Brexit it’s not worth it. Maybe it is to them, and if they desire ‘freedom’ (don’t we all feel so much more free now we’ve thrown off the shackles of EU dominance? No? Oh…) then have at it, but don’t think Britain will then play nice when it comes to military assets, business, trade, etc. We aren’t going to just hand everything over out of the goodness of our hearts. In fact, being the horrible little English cunts that we are, we will get cuntier and cuntier. For a start, they can take the blue shite off our flag. 

The irony being, the government will sell this and the usual idiots will lap it up, they want to leave well fuck them, we will screw them over. These are obviously the same people who think that the EU are cunts for not giving us everything that we wanted, and we said we would easily get, when we told the EU to fuck off.  

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Polls suggest it's pretty close. April polls were had more leave and may has more remain. With a nationalist campaign... who knows. 

It's hard to judge with the Scotts. I was at a Christmas do about 10 years ago, one of these hotel ones where there's a different company at every table. Got chatting to these two Scottish women outside while they were having a ciggie, they started off saying they were pro independence, so I adapted my tactics to say I could see why and I'd be the same if I was them, then they turned on a sixpence and started asking me why and that they thought it might actually be a bad thing. Damndest thing I ever saw. 

29 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Polls suggest it's pretty close. April polls were had more leave and may has more remain. With a nationalist campaign... who knows. 

The polls are a load of shite.

It was voted down last time & will be again. Any Nationalist campaign is neutered by the 'project fear' stuff.

The Nationalists are a very noisy minority in this country.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

The polls are a load of shite.

It was voted down last time & will be again. Any Nationalist campaign is neutered by the 'project fear' stuff.

The Nationalists are a very noisy minority in this country.

Yet they're winning elections. Anyway, I think we can all agree that the most important things is finding out whether or not Sec got balls deep in these Scottish women. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yet they're winning elections. Anyway, I think we can all agree that the most important things is finding out whether or not Sec got balls deep in these Scottish women. 

Nah they were Pauline fowler lookalikes, by 'tactics' I meant I didn't want them to beat me up. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Voting SNP or Green at an election is not the same as voting at a referendum on independence.

The split between nationalist & unionist parties was very even at the election anyway.

They could hold a referendum tomorrow & I would put my house on it being voted down again.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Is this from Tory Central Office?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The EU have no appetite to encourage nationalism particularly given the Basques so the idea that they would welcome the newly independent but bankrupt Scots is a non starter. 

Us in England better start keeping an eye out for exploding haggis then 

I'm no Scottish Nationalist but I have to laugh at English people saying we'd be bankrupt when the current UK national debt is over two thousand billion.

The stuff about the army and the navy is equally laughable, oh no we wouldn't have a load of fucking neds to protect us against... erm... all those countries who want to attack Scotland all the time.

It's not going to happen anyway so no need to get out your prams some of you.

• Upvote 5